Get the darn toy away from me!-or not?

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tonight Fatty has proved herself a master huntress. She went after Da Bird claws out, standing on her hind, and jumping every which way on and off the furniture. It's the first time she's EVER done this for me, and I was proud at first. However, I have three major concerns.

A. When she was playing with the toy, she made these "cha" or "ra" sounds-slightly like a hiss. Was she mad at me?
B. She has been scratching at the sofa, hiding under the covers and biting it. She pretty much looks like some kind of demon is posessing her (okay, perhaps quite not that, but it's still pretty cooky)
C. She just swatted at Kitty and hissed at her. They usually are pretty good friends.

Was she overstimulated?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fattykitty

Tonight Fatty has proved herself a master huntress. She went after Da Bird claws out, standing on her hind, and jumping every which way on and off the furniture. It's the first time she's EVER done this for me, and I was proud at first. However, I have three major concerns.

A. When she was playing with the toy, she made these "cha" or "ra" sounds-slightly like a hiss. Was she mad at me?
B. She has been scratching at the sofa, hiding under the covers and biting it. She pretty much looks like some kind of demon is posessing her (okay, perhaps quite not that, but it's still pretty cooky)
C. She just swatted at Kitty and hissed at her. They usually are pretty good friends.

Was she overstimulated?
To B and C, It sounds to me like it was overstimulation. Was this the first time she met Da Bird? The first time Ginger saw a laser pointer she had a little kitty cat melt down and could not be approached for about two hours after playing, sort of like she was stuck in hunt mode, she also had that demon look going, lol. It was funny though, watching her prowl the house looking for that darn dot! Maybe Fatty thought Da Bird was hiding in the sofa?
I would not worry as long as she calms down.
About the noises while she was playing, I doubt she was mad at you, I know some cats make odd clicking sounds when hunting bugs and stuff, probably just something like that.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A few of my crew will get overly excited with Da-Bird. I don't know if this will help in your situation, but it seemed to help mine. I played for a short time hoping to stop before they get too wound up then just increase the length of time to play. When I put Da-Bird away I have a hearty, healthy treat on standby so they can get a feeling of "eating the prey they killed". A meal of canned food after play might help, too.

That seemed to transition mine from the activity. The idea is that they get all wound up and over stimulated from "hunting" and have no "prey" to eat before settling down for a nap after working so hard "hunting". (playing)

Hope it might help your Fatty unwind from playing....if that is the cause of the behavior. It does seem like over stimulation. Best to your Fatty.