Which food better for cat with crystals?

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's the guaranteed analysis/nutrient analysisfor two foods I'm feeding the cats. Which would be better for a cat with a history of struvite crystals? Would one or both be detrimental?

Food #1:
Crude Protein min. 33.0%
Crude Fat min. 12.0%
Crude Fiber max. 3.6%
Moisture max. 10.0%
Calcium min. 0.8%
Phosphorus min. 0.79%
Taurine min. 0.17%.
Magnesium max. 0.12%
Ash max. 5.9%
Sodium min. 0.33%

Food #2:
Crude Protein min. 36%
Crude Fat min. 16%
Crude Fiber max. 1.5%
Moisture max. 10.0%
Calcium min. 1.72%
Phosphorus min. 1.23%
Taurine min. 0.1%.
Magnesium max. 0.12%
Ash max. 6.95%
Sodium min. 0.20%

Thanks, and sorry for starting so many threads lately!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
neither by % ages follow any guidelines I use for UTI health ... which is % of magnesium , phos and calcium

One fits the latter two but not the mag ,and IMHO is too low in fat ... ingredients would be helpful... LOOK fot FOR UTI health ON the front of bag as that is a better indication of a food certified..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

neither by % ages follow any guidelines I use for UTI health ... which is % of magnesium , phos and calcium
What are these %s? Are they the same for dry and wet?

Oh, and if the cat has only gotten crystals once, what's the chance they will come back?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKalamata

Oh, and if the cat has only gotten crystals once, what's the chance they will come back?
I'll answer this one - and that is "luck of the draw". You can help prevent crystals through diet, adding in things like more wet food, water fountains, etc....but some cats are just going to be prone to crystals, while others will only have them once in their lifetime.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'll answer this one - and that is "luck of the draw". You can help prevent crystals through diet, adding in things like more wet food, water fountains, etc....but some cats are just going to be prone to crystals, while others will only have them once in their lifetime.

wet and dry are different .. if you do a search on this site I have listed them over and over ..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wellness Indoor seems to fit: mg 0.094%, ca 0.73%, p 0.78%. But I found some posts saying that Wellness isn't good for urinary health???

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Wellness Indoor seems to fit: mg 0.094%, ca 0.73%, p 0.78%. But I found some posts saying that Wellness isn't good for urinary health???
are those minimum or maximums>>??
for a dry food
the magnesium to be uti safe is under.09 preferabley .085% ... this is what most look at first

Calcium max should be .1 or less

phos max should be .9 many say under .7

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I fell for that one, too. Wellness lies. Or at least...perhaps their claims are safe for healthy cats. But cats who have FLUTD should be eating a prescription food made specifically for the condition.

I switched my FLUTD (struvite) cat to Wellness against my vet's better judgment. After two months I had her urine tested.

her pH had shot up to 7.5 and her urine was FULL of crystals, both struvite and phosphate.

Sure, you look at the ingredients of say..the Hill's prescription c/d multicare and they don't seem so great compared to these designer foods.

But they are made the way they are for a reason. And the reason is, in Mazy's case, to prevent crystal formation. Corn and corn gluten, for instance, is a protein source very low in magnesium, compared to meat proteins, and that is why it is used in the prescription foods.

The Wellness claims are dangerous because not everyone is as vigilant as I am, and will not have their cat's urine retested, just assuming the Wellness is doing the job.

As a result the cat will continue to get worse, and show no symptoms until they are in actual pain..or in the case of male cats...blocked.

So Wellness's irresponsible claims can cause, and have caused, according to one vet I know, the death of cats.

If your cat has been diagnosed as FLUTD and your vet has prescribed a prescription food, use the food. If your cat won't eat it, there are several prescription brands to choose from, your vet can help you get another.

FLUTD= Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (also knows as FUS)