Keira just got spayed...and ripped it open!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keira just got spayed and ripped open her suture! I just noticed it last night! It is very open, red and raw. I took her to the vet and they gave me antibiotics/cream to plus a cone (which she hates) to hold me over until I can take her in on monday to see what my vet (who did the surgery) wants to do.

They may end up having to resuture her. I feel so bad for her, but I know if they resuture it will be costly. I don't want her to get a really bad infection which it looks like she may have.

I can't believe she opened it! This isn't the first cat I have had do that to me!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She just got spayed and she ripped the stitches out and they didnt automatically suture her? They should have sutured her close if it just happened.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She had it done about a week ago so it wasn't right away, but it is open. The vet said her abdominal muscle was ok, so that is good.

I did take her back home. I bought a collar to try to put in the cone because she got half her jaw stuck in one of the openings and have a fit. I don't want her to break her jaw in the process. Right now she is sleeping so I have it off, but when she wakes up, I need to put more cream on and put the cone back on.

I hope the antibiotics work fast! Poor girl!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should be pretty healed after 5 days, I'd be getting another opinon quickly if it's open, red and raw after that amount of time and they only gave you cream.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, but I just can't believe they left her out with an open wound??? What kind of vet is this? It should be simple: a cat is brought in who the stitches torn open, the vet, no matter what vet, closes the wound again - duh! I mean, this vet is not capable of making that decision? That makes one stupid vet in my book!
Sorry, but that's just absurd - a cat should not be sent home with an open, red and raw wound. for your girl!!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all the girls we've spayed over the years, never had any of them even fuss with their stitches. Lucky I guess.

Our Vet does double sutures, inside the abdomen and then another set on the skin surface. Your Vet has most likely done the same and that may be why he is less concerned about the skin she has opened up.

Even so, I would think that an open wound would heal much faster if it were closed up again.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, sorry to hear that.

How much of the incision did she reopen? I'm surprised that after a week of healing, that it did reopen. *ouch* But if her stomach muscle is in tact, then I have to agree with Nial in that an open wound sometimes heals a LOT faster than if they were to stich it up again now.

for Keira

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

With all the girls we've spayed over the years, never had any of them even fuss with their stitches. Lucky I guess.

Our Vet does double sutures, inside the abdomen and then another set on the skin surface. Your Vet has most likely done the same and that may be why he is less concerned about the skin she has opened up.

Even so, I would think that an open wound would heal much faster if it were closed up again.
I have gone to this vet for over 10 years and I trust them. He said the abdominal muscle is fine. So it is just the outer layer. He said that since it is infected - to suture it up again while there is an infection would only cause it to open again.

We actually have three vets at our vet office. The one that did the surgery was not there so that is why I am taking her in tomorrow so she can decide if it would be necessary to close it back up again or let it heal on its own.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That makes sense if the bottom layer is closed to leave the top layer open. You wouldnt want to close it will it was infected ....... sending lots and lots of vibes that way

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

News???
I took her in yesterday and the vet is doing a hydro therapy to encourage new cells to grow so the layer can start to heal. I kept her there because I think she would heal much better in a confined are where someone can keep an eye on her.

She hates it there! Poor Girl! I saw her on my way home from work and she just cried and cried and cried each time getting louder. She only does it when I am there.

She will have to be there for 3-4 days. I hope that she heals fast! It is only the outer layer and the abdominal layer is fine.

bobber baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Keira just got spayed and ripped open her suture! I just noticed it last night! It is very open, red and raw. I took her to the vet and they gave me antibiotics/cream to plus a cone (which she hates) to hold me over until I can take her in on monday to see what my vet (who did the surgery) wants to do.

They may end up having to resuture her. I feel so bad for her, but I know if they resuture it will be costly. I don't want her to get a really bad infection which it looks like she may have.

I can't believe she opened it! This isn't the first cat I have had do that to me!
I had this problem with my Ragdoll. He ripped open the stitches twice, then they put in staples which he also ripped out. Can you imagine how bad that must have hurt? Finally, the vet decided to glue the incision and leave it open. He was much more relaxed with the incision open and he healed up straight away. Don't panic she'll be just fine.