Have you seen any wild animals recently?

gato_gris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I might have seen a bear on a recent vacation (there was definitely noise and something moving through the woods and I might have seen a face). On a hike last fall I saw 2 bear cubs, 3 cougars (one of them acted confrontational; I backed off and later on when I passed them they were watching me about 8 feet up in a tree), a fisher and some deer. The first two were kind of spooky.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do chimpmunks count? LOL
I have about 3 of them living under a hedge under my window.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a family of raccoons living in the storm drains in the neighborhood. They drive the girls crazy when they go through my yard at night. They drive me nuts when they get into my garbage bins. I also see rabbits, squirrels, possums and skunks in the neighborhood. I've seen deer on the campus of the hospital....usually late at night, when I get called in. I saw a fox by the hospital once. That surprised me, because the hospital is in town.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In New Zealand...the wildest animal I have seen lately are sparrows.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We live in a very rural area, so it's normal for us! ...especially as we put out food for birds, all kinds of things come to eat it.

But seeing coons and possums is frequent. Skunks we usually smell, but haven't seen one since Gary trapped one while trapping cats. Sadly, all three are frequently run over by people, so we see quite a few dead ones.

Chipmunks are all the time. Same with groundhogs and rabbits.

There are a lot of quail and turkey around here. Big herd of turkey, actually! Must have been at least 20 of them.

Birds - I can list a lot. Swans, ducks and geese live in the large pond at the bottom of the drive. Herons of various types frequently visit to fish.

There's a mom deer with two foals we see at least daily - but deer are everywhere around these parts. Saw a stag on the way home from the supermarket yesterday!

The bear we don't see as often, but there are quite a few around here. The other morning we saw one of them in the neighbor's driveway - presumably heading for their garbage. He (or she) was a really big one - almost as large as their car. They are all black bear around here.

....Haven't seen any wolves, though there is a wolf-reintroduction program going on.

We did see a fox last week - those are far more rare, as they tend to stay in the woods.

At our last house, we had a mom bear and two cubs living up the hill. We had to remove the bird feeders altogether, because they decided to use that spot as their patio, munching on the bird food.

Here's one of the cubs:

And some deer:

They loved lounging on the front lawn.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we came home from dinner last night there was a roadrunner and 2 cottontail rabbits in our side yard. The roadrunner has a nest!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a family of 5-6 deer that live behind my house. Pearl has made friends with a fawn. It is just adorable to watch them sniff at each other.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Three young deer, two babies and what I'd guess to be a yearling, ran along side my car for a while on the way to work last Sunday.
Made my day.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LDG, I am envious. I've seen a bear in the wild only once, from a considerable distance, while driving.

I did see a raccoon the other day, and I sometimes hear screech owls at night, but that's as exciting as it gets around here!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw a finch today...haven't seen one of those in a while. Saw quite a few bumblebees...hmm...let's see....I have four kittens that I'm fostering, and they're kind of wild. I guess I need to get out of the city once in a while, huh?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't really have a whole lot of wild animals here aside from:

raccoons, skunks, groundhogs, rabbits.

Depending on the time of year, we can see deer and wild turkeys.

Most recent wild animal I've seen was a big fat groundhog a couple wks ago.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

LDG, I am envious. I've seen a bear in the wild only once, from a considerable distance, while driving.

I did see a raccoon the other day, and I sometimes hear screech owls at night, but that's as exciting as it gets around here!
You wouldn't be jealous when the mom took one of your LARGE garbage cans, dragged it up the hill spilling everything out along the way - in completely briar-prickly bush stuff infested undergrowth. And that was after we learned we had to take the garbage out the morning the garbage men were coming to get it. In fact, they watched her do it. With a mom with two cubs, we were worried to go up and get the empty can back - let alone figure out how to clean up the mess!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the moment I see foxes several times a week, usually once the weather warms up koalas are out more. The koalas often sit in the middle of the road

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wednesday night I went out back to the smoke area at work. Right outside the walk through gate was a half grown skunk nosing around a trash can. I wasn't more than four feet away from him. Luckly he didn't notice me and I slowly backed up, went back inside and out to the front of the building to smoke. I had smelled them several times at work but hadn't seen one before.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pack of kangaroos on the grassy field while i was driving home last night, we live right near it!!

ohh and these beautiful red,blue and a little yellow birds just flying around the backyard not sure what they are called though, kaylee loves looking a them

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't seen a coyote recently, but I heard them howling the other night. Knowing they're out there just makes me feel great.
We see occasional deer, but I think it's been too hot for them lately. We always have rabbits in the yard and lots of birds. There are foxes around, but we only catch an occasional glimpse of them. There used to be three owls perched on my neighbors roof when I went to work in the mornings. I always wondered if they knew the owls were up there, because they took flight with the rising sun.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie that is really scary about the Momma bear and her cubs!! I think I would have to move! How do you keep them from trying to get food inside, thats what I would be thinking about.

The only wild animals I have seen are birds.