hairballs, which is better?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pansy periodically upchucks a hairball, but it is like a tightly packed small cigar. You can see the shape of the intestine (I guess) it is lodged in. He does some vomiting first until it pops out in perfect shape.

My question is, is this healthy? I mean I know it is good that he is eliminating them, but is this the preferred way? Are they inside him too long, and becoming too compact? The other two generally eliminate smaller, wetter versions. But neither of them seem to have as many as Pansy.

I am thinking I should look for a hairball treat. I do not want to use hairball food, or the vaseline you rub on them. He hates that.

I will not do anything if his current elimination process is not harmful and typical of other cats.
just wondering.
thanks

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is an excellent article that explains everything you'll want to know.

http://www.suevet.com/cat_vomiting.html

And remember, when it comes to preventing hairballs, daily brushing is essential. One of the absolute best things you can do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you so much. It sounds like Pansy's hairball is just fine. I do brush, and I use the furminator. It gets a lot of hair, but the frustrating thing is it never stops getting hair. If you tried to keep brushing until you stopped getting hair off the cat, I think they would be bald.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I am thinking I should look for a hairball treat. I do not want to use hairball food, or the vaseline you rub on them. He hates that.
"He hates that." (vaseline).
GOOD for him!!! He's a smart little cookie.

Instead of a petroleum product - to grease the digestive system - why not something safe - like virgin olive oil, or almond oil?

When available - grass (with no chemicals on it) is great, too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

"He hates that." (vaseline).
GOOD for him!!! He's a smart little cookie.

Instead of a petroleum product - to grease the digestive system - why not something safe - like virgin olive oil, or almond oil?

When available - grass (with no chemicals on it) is great, too.
I just wanted to ask if almond oil is safe. Olive oil I wouldn't question.