allergies

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is the correct forum..but I've had Pumpkin for a little more than a year. Three months ago, I developed allergies. Never had them before, so I assume its the cat. What does everyone do who is allergic to their cat? I'm going to an allergist to be sure. I've tried over the counter meds, but nothing seems to work. I dont want to give up my baby

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjc

Not sure if this is the correct forum..but I've had Pumpkin for a little more than a year. Three months ago, I developed allergies. Never had them before, so I assume its the cat. What does everyone do who is allergic to their cat? I'm going to an allergist to be sure. I've tried over the counter meds, but nothing seems to work. I dont want to give up my baby
There are many many members here that are allergic - you won't need to give up your baby... I am sure they will stop by to help you - meanwhile...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you've had the cat for a year, and the allergies started only 3 months ago, then I would say it's not the cat. It's POSSIBLE that the cat is grooming itself more in the hot weather, which is causing excess saliva, and it's the saliva that we're generally allergic to.

I'd suggest it's something else in the environment - maybe with the change of seasons, something new is blossoming? Have you got any new household products?

Going to an allergist is a great idea, they can do prick testing and determine exactly what your allergies are. They can also help build up your tolerance to it.

I'm highly allergic to cats if I haven't been around them for a while, but once I've been around them a while, my tolerance naturally builds up and then I'm fine.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure the article Karen provided has most of these tips. But I am HIGHLY allergic to cats. If it does turn out that you're allergic to your cat (actually, I had the allergy to cats from as far back as I can remember, but I developed seasonal allergies as I got older - so it is far more likely you've developed an "environment" allergy than a cat allergy), here's what I do.

1) ZYRTEC. It is available both in generic form and over-the-counter now. IT WORKS. And really well! I wouldn't ever want to close our kitties out from the bedroom, and Shelly sleeps in my face - and it doesn't bother me.

2) We have several HEPA air filters. Keep them clean.

3) Brush your kitty every day. We use a slicker brush, but we just ordered a "Furminator." Apparently it gets at the undercoat and eliminates 90% of the shedding.
How cool would THAT be? Anyway, after brushing, wipe down with water on a cloth. This helps pick up the dander. You can also give kitty a wipe down in the morning.

3) We put throw blankets over cushy furniture that cat hair likes to stick to (and that they like to sleep on). When I want to sit on the couch, I just pick up the throw blanket - and no cat hair or dander! They're easy to fold and put away when company comes over - and just wash them every week.

4) Vacuum as much and as often as you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep visine around for when my eyes get itchy, and I have a prescription steroid cream for when I get hives. But if you wash your hands after petting, and if you take the zyrtec (or generic) - it works so well, you don't actually have to do all the other stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for everyones help. I tried Zyrtec, but it didn't seem to work. I'm going to start banning Pumpkin from my bedroom
and see what happens. Hopefully my dr can be of some help>

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gato_gris

Do you have nasal congestion? If so try Bronk-Aid.
Never heard of that....thanks, as I only have nasal congestion.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have doubts that it is your cat that is causing the allergies since you've had her over a year and your allergies just started. I mean... it could be but it just doesn't seem likely. If you are having trouble with congestion and especially if it is nasal congestion, ask your doctor for flonase. I have a lot of allergies and flonase really helps me a lot! Good luck with it all and keep us posted!

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again everyone. Never had allergies in my 52 years of life. My friends say you can just develop them. Well, tonight is the first night, Pumpkin won't we sleeping in my room. Something tells me I'm in for a long night.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I developed allergies to molds and pollens in my late 30s. My mom developed them in her early 50s. My sister developed them in her late 40s. Zyrtec helps for hives and itchies, but not the stuffy nose. For that you need zyrtec-D - or as others have pointed out, any decongestant. Flonase has steroids in it and so is prescription. But the best thing to do is to get to an allergist where they can test for allergies and find out specifically what you're allergic to.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjc

Thanks again everyone. Never had allergies in my 52 years of life. My friends say you can just develop them. Well, tonight is the first night, Pumpkin won't we sleeping in my room. Something tells me I'm in for a long night.
Aww, for you and Pumpkin to get some sleep seperated.

For a true test though you must change out your bedding, including using different pillows if Pumpkin sleeps on them, and pretty much clean your room to within and inch of its life. Think hospital clean.
I want to ask if you have changed your diet at all. Food alergies are very common and not somthing everyone thinks of at first when a sudden new allergy pops up, and in your case, your first allergy ever. If not, has a product changed their ingredients?
I don't think I have ever heard of someone developing an allergy to an animal, usually its the other way around, the allergy is there and people develop a tolerance to it.

I am interested to hear what the allergist says.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I developed allergies late last year to avocado,only mild symptoms and two weeks ago i decided to eat it and had a massive break out that ended up with a swelled throat and thought i was choking.
Someone tried to suggest to me that i'm allergic to cats, have no idea where it came from but it made me angry, if you have nasal congestion only it can be caused from a number of things, it may not necessarily be an allergy.

I have two appointments at two hospitals for my allergy tests, if i were you i would consult with your doctor before locking kitty out of the bedroom, because if you haven't washed the bedsheets ect. it wont really make a difference if you are allergic to pumpkin!

you wont get much sleep if you lock her out anyway!

Good luck

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Happy...I'm not allergic to Pumpkin. I was tested two times for 60 different things and all was negative. My dr said I have chronic rhinosinusitis. I'm being treated with antibiotics and feel so much better. Thanks to everyone for their concerns. I'm still going to keep Pumpkin banned from my bedroom. Poor little guy..he keeps on crying to come in at 3 in the morning EVERYDAY..but I have to stick to my guns