Ruh roh bit of a shock!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A friend had her baby last night. They didn't want to know the sex, but the doctor managed to include the sex with some of the results they received. They found out it was a girl and were SUPER excited as they already have a boy who is a handful, and my friend desperately wanted a girl. Another ultrasound later confirmed it was a girl

So they have a GORGEOUS pink bassinet and so many pretty pink clothes. Imagine their shock last night when they baby came out and uhhh... it has boy bits!

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad that they have all this pink stuff they can't use, and got rid of their son's clothes, but can you imagine what the delivery room would have been like when they announced it was a boy

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol I think it's pointless to use different colors for different gender of babies!! I'd use purple if I had a child since that's my favorite color..I don't think having pink clothes and blankets is going to matter to a baby boy who can't even recognize colors...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But it's hard to buy many boy clothes that aren't blue, and girl clothes that aren't pink. It's also hard to buy gender neutral designs. The purples are generally quite feminine.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, if I don't know gender, I tend to go for yellow or green, which for babies are relatively gender-neutral -- but you certainly don't have the same selection.

Anyway, yes, that would have been some shock!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

But it's hard to buy many boy clothes that aren't blue, and girl clothes that aren't pink. It's also hard to buy gender neutral designs. The purples are generally quite feminine.
I was looking for some gender neutral clothes and its nearly impossible! And your right, most purple clothing options are very feminine.

I can only imagine their surprise when 'she' came out as a 'he'!
We're expecting a boy - and I would be very shocked if we had a girl!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I was looking for some gender neutral clothes and its nearly impossible! And your right, most purple clothing options are very feminine.

You're much safer with a boy - if they can see a penis, it's pretty obvious and they're unlikely to be wrong. I remember my ultrasound, there was NO way you could mistake him for a girl
For a girl, if they can't see anything, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a girl - it can be "hiding", a bad position, or just not as skilled a technician.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sad, but HILARIOUS!!!! They must've been completely shocked! Maybe since it was assumed to be a girl they really didn't focus on it's "wee-wee"? IDK I've never had to go through that before

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know somebody that this happened to. Her daughter was told twice that she was having a girl.

The name was chosen, the theme of the shower was girly pink. She was so sure it would be a girl.

All along I kept saying "what it it's a boy?"

She called me abut an hour after her "granddaughter" was born to tell me that I was right. I don't know who was more surprised me or her.

Fortunately no room or furniture was painted and most of the girly stuff could be returned. The rest was used or re-gifted to another friend who had a girl a few weeks later.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can just imagine what the mom said
something not fit to print on TCS, that's for sure

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You're much safer with a boy - if they can see a penis, it's pretty obvious and they're unlikely to be wrong. I remember my ultrasound, there was NO way you could mistake him for a girl
For a girl, if they can't see anything, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a girl - it can be "hiding", a bad position, or just not as skilled a technician.
Your very right - there was no mistaking him for a 'him' on the ultrasound
Thank you for putting my mind at ease
- I was sitting here thinking - oh no.. what if this happens to us!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep teasing my sister who is pregnant with her 2nd boy, that is could be a mistake
She wouldn't mind though as they are already talking about #3 to try for a girl.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my son was born we didn't what sex he was ahead of time. I just bought a lot of yellow and gender neutral clothing, blankets and etc. When babies are such tiny infants, colors and style don't mean anything to them, so I don't see why they can't still use that pink bassinet and a few other things like pink baby blankets.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The same thing happened to my sister inlaw. They thought they were having another girl.
OOPS here came Ryan. I went to their house and cleaned all the pretty dresses out of the closet, and replaced them with boy clothes. DH bought a little tiny Leather biker jacket. Once the shock wore off, they were very happy to one of each

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OHHHH NOOOOO
That's why you never rely 100% on those ultrasounds. Better to get neutral colors or just wait till the baby is really born.

Unless the baby is really turned in the right direction - it can look similar.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's funny.. but it's not!

Originally Posted by babyharley

There was NO question that Noah was a boy... but even that can be wrong. Sometimes it's a girl with the cord between her legs... but if you can clearly see a Frank AND beans then your GTG I think.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've run out and gotten her some boy pajamas, onesies and warm clothes for the evenings, and they're just in the dryer, so she should have some boy clothes by the time she gets home
I'm sure her mother who is visiting is doing the same thing

They sent a family photo yesterday and it was the sweetest thing - mum looked tired, but dad and big brother had HUGE grins
Their son had told me he didn't want a little sister
He looks to be happier with a little brother