Food advice please!!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like some advice from all of you amazing cat people out there. I currently use Purina Indoor Cat dry food for all my cats. They seem to be doing well on it..Fatman is actually losing weight his fat sack is getting emptier and emptier which makes me happy. HOWEVER what Im concerned about is if its properly nutrional for my cats. I have always heard that Purina is a good food to use for animals and even use it for my doxie. I guess what Im asking is for everyones recomendations on what dry food they use, especially those on a tight budget. I would also like to know if anyone thinks that Purina One for Indoor Cats is a good food because thats what I was going to switch over to. I dont use wet food because none of them seem to like it it always takes forever for them to eat one pouch of food and then I end up throwing the rest out after breakfast because they dont want to finish it and if I try again with different food its the same process all over again.
Ive heard about Raw Diet but Im a little confused as to what it is and how time and finacially consuming raw diet is. My question along this line is if grilled chicken breast is ok for cats. On days I make chicken for dinner I will grill them their own chicken and then mix carrots and peas into a mixture for them and they all including the doxie LOVE LOVE LOVE this mixture. A friend of mine recomended this to me because they use it for their Pug for weight management and my dog is prone to gaining weight if over snacked and then back problems and well chicken and cats seems to be a great combination to me so I gave some to them and they all love it. But after reading all these food posts Im starting to second guess myself on what Im feeding them. I want to be a good mom to all my babies and dont want to end up hurting them by feeding them the wrong foods.
I have never fed them generic cat food like Special Kitty (from Wal Mart) because I always thought it was bad for them. And I will go without for myself to buy them "namebrand" food..I cant remember the last time I have ever bought myself anything other than Weis brand or Giant brand food so I have the extra pennies to buy the better food for my pets. Im sorry this is so long but Id love your advice...
Thank you everyone!![/u]

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Even though i try to stay within a certian price range for foods i go with the premuim brands such as Nature's Variety and Wellness CORE. I also will feed Natural Balance and kirkland dry food. It is actually cheaper in the long run because they eat way less of those brands and i get the reasurrence of what actually is in that food. I will not feed foods with corn, wheat, soy, by-products (wet food i have to but avoid it in dry), BHA/BHT, beef tallow, generic terms like fish meal or animal fat. I prefer to feed mine grain free foods.

Wet food to keep within budget i feed sophistacat. it is cheap yet i feel better than friskies. It doesn't use wheat gluten to make the chunks instead it uses food starch. I avoid varieties with meat by-products within the first three ingrediants.

I do feed quite a bit of raw food, it is the bulk of my cats diet. I do not cook the meat for them, it is plain raw meat. the meat's that i currently have and am using are chicken, beef, turkey, and pork. I would not feed cooked chicken breast in fear that they might eat a bone from it. However a raw chicken breast with bones is safe. Cooked bones are a definate thing to avoid.

I spend $8.50 a day to feed all my cats. However i am feeding 20 cats on average per day, sometimes more sometimes less depending on who all shows up at the farm to eat. If i were to go all raw i estimate i would spend $7 a day. If i were to go completly commercial i guess that i would be spending $10-12 a day. However i do not ever want to go back to all commercial foods. if possible i would switch to all raw.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looking at the ingredients on Purina's website (they are not in a copy-and-pasteable format, so if someone wants to post them here, that would be great), and the Purina Cat Chow indoor formula's first ingredient is corn, and then chicken by-products, and then corn gluton. In my opinion, none of these ingredients would be in a "good" food, especially not the first 3 ingredients. Cats are carnivores and thrive on a food that consists mainly of meat. By-products are meat, but could be any part of the chicken, likely not the healthy muscle meat that we would eat.

Ingredients for Purina One (I couldn't find the indoor formula on the website) are a bit better, with chicken as the first ingredient.

Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), whole grain corn, fish meal, soy protein isolate, animal liver flavor, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, caramel color, salt, choline chloride, taurine, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

There is still a lot of grain in there - rice, corn, and wheat, as well as some by-products and artificial flavour. I wouldn't feed it to my cats, I don't think.

Now, the fact that these foods are within your price range and your cats seem to like them is great. However, if you want to try a better food, there are some economical options:

- Kirkland (Costco Brand - this is a very decent food and VERY affordable - I imagine quite a bit cheaper than what you pay now)
- Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul
- Taste of the Wild (this one is pricier here in Canada, but I think it's quite reasonable in the US)

Edited to add: As for feeding your cats cooked chicken, it's great as a treat or occasional meal, but not on a regular basis as their food source. It doesn't contain a balance of nutrients that your cats need. However, if they love it, by all means, give it to them on occasion. Just be sure not to season the chicken, as salt/pepper/garlic, etc. isn't great for your kitties.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i don't like foods that have chicken as the first ingrediant if it is not followed by chicken meal. you don't know if they made the ingrediant list before or after processing. after processing chicken to a moisture of 8% it moves a long ways down the ingrediant list to the 5th or 6th ingrediant instead of the first. the regular purina is better than the purina one than IMO but i would still not feed it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your advice. I use boneless chicken breast to feed them cuz thats what BF and I eat for dinner and I cook it on the grill with no seasoning whatsoever! I started using Purina because for my doxie it was recommended by a vet to help keep his weight down and I was told it was a good food....I cant wait till I work on Sunday because Im going to be hitting up Petsmart hunting up a new food for my kitties....I have to stay away from any food that has what looks like red pieces in it because it makes their poopy red and that just freaks me out when Im scooping litter boxes.
New question BF thought of. Is hamburger good for kitties? I use the 80/20 hamburger even though it is quite expensive? BF likes to feed them pieces of meat while cooking it before it gets added to spaghetti sauce or before adding taco seasoning? Now Ive got him all worried we are hurting our babies!!! LOL Am Im being an over worrier?!?!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hamburger should be fine as a treat as well.

If you're shopping at PetSmart, Authority is a decent food (their brand). Other than that, I'm not sure what else there is decent and affordable - Nutro, I think.

The ones I mentioned - Kirkland is from Costco, and I think Chicken Soup and Taste of the Wild are usually available at more independent pet stores or feed stores.

Look at the ingredients, look for a meat (or meal) first ingredient, even better if there is more than one meat ingredient listed. Try to avoid by-products. Limited grains is better, although it's not a necessity that you avoid them entirely. I am personally OK with some rice, but prefer no corn (although a little can be helpful for male cats and UTIs) and definitly no wheat.

Basically, any of the commercial brands are overpriced junk (ie. Purina, Iams, Eukenuba, Science Diet).

Someone will need to confirm this for me, but I think that Indoor or Light formulas are generally high in carbs and no good for cats actually needing to lose weight. The best way for cats to lose weight is to be fed wet, or a high-quality, meat-based dry.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

Someone will need to confirm this for me, but I think that Indoor or Light formulas are generally high in carbs and no good for cats actually needing to lose weight. The best way for cats to lose weight is to be fed wet, or a high-quality, meat-based dry.
yes that is correct i believe. you want low carb food anyways, but also it helps cats lose wieght better. low carb dry foods are EVO, Nature's Variety Instinct, and Wellness CORE.