TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › How often do you dream?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How often do you dream?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I know that dreaming is a rarity in itself. Dreams are not always every night and some people rarely dream at all. However, for the past 11 days I have had at least one or more dreams. I know that dreaming every night for that long is very unusual and very uncommon.

Some of the dreams are about what I have been angry about, some are totally weird and I have no clue, others are good dreams.

Does anyone know why this is happening and what it could be called? I have never had this happen before.
post #2 of 29
I dream every time I sleep. It can get tiresome.
Have you had anything on your mind lately that is bothering you or making you think a lot about it? Sometimes things like that can make people dream that normally do not.
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
I know that dreaming is a rarity in itself. Dreams are not always every night and some people rarely dream at all. However, for the past 11 days I have had at least one or more dreams. I know that dreaming every night for that long is very unusual and very uncommon.

Some of the dreams are about what I have been angry about, some are totally weird and I have no clue, others are good dreams.

Does anyone know why this is happening and what it could be called? I have never had this happen before.
I have to disagree with this. We all dream, that is REM sleep and without it, you can actually go crazy. I don't have the sleep studies at hand to link to, but there are many. It is just that many people do not remember the dreams.
If you are someone who does not remember dreams and suddnly now are, I would say to look and see what might have changed in your life, or something that has been on your mind. Our subconscious speaks to us in our dreams (Though some say that's bunk, I believe it) Look for symbols or circumstances that may be similar in the different dreams. How do they make you feel? Relate them to your life if you can and try to see what your brain is telling you. Im not big into the refrences that say "this dream means this or that" carved in stone, dreams are different for everyone, though there is some common dream symbology. Being naked in a public setting, being chased, teeth falling out, there are more.
I find dreaming fascinating, always have, and have studied a lot about it. I lucid dream, it is a technique that can be learned. You are in the dream, but aware you are dreaming, being awake in a dream so to speak. Not only a really fun thing, but if you are a person that has nightmares, it can get you out of them. It has for me on many occasion.
post #4 of 29
I agree with the above poster. Everyone dreams, just a lot of people don't remember their dreams b/c you dream in short term memory. I remember my dreams almost every night but occasionally I don't, like if I sleep really heavily.
post #5 of 29
I have to disagree about how often and how many. I dream every night and I have at least 3 vivid dreams. I also dream in color and in the 3rd person.
post #6 of 29
If anyone would like to learn lucid dreaming, I would be more than happy to help with that. I am by no means an expert, but do know the techniques to get ya started on it
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo View Post
I have to disagree about how often and how many. I dream every night and I have at least 3 vivid dreams. I also dream in color and in the 3rd person.
Yep me too. At least the ones I can remember are like that.
post #8 of 29
I am a very active dreamer and odd sleeper. I always have to warn people about it before we stay in the same room.

I dream every night, and remember the majority of what it was about the next day. My dreams are always scary or something else unpleasant. I can’t remember the last time I had a "happy dream" which is odd because I am a very happy person! My life is pretty much stress free, and I have no major problems. My entire life I have had this.

I also sleep walk, sleep talk, my boyfriends have woken up because ive kicked or hit them (never hard). I usually sleep walk at least once a week because I am having a horrible dream about Capone (it’s always Capone) and I NEED to find him. Sometimes if the boyfriend gets annoyed, or I am up too long he will find Capone and put him in front of me and ill go to bed.

I have nightmares every single night, I don’t mind them. I actually think I would miss them if they went away. My Sister has the exact same thing as me, since she’s been pregnant she said her dreams are now her running through fields and such and she misses the horror dreams lol.

My Sister and I are the only ones I know who are like this.
post #9 of 29
Yes I pretty much dream every night as well, sometimes I remember them almost completely sometimes just bits and pieces..
post #10 of 29
I usually only dream when I don't have to be awakened by an alarm. That pretty much speaks for the fact that I don't get decent sleep if I have to wake up early for school, I wake up before I get into REM sleep. It's because I have some sleep issues, I can never fall asleep unless I'm dead tired...
My dreams most of the time have to do with something in life that I've worried about but brushed it off aside from my main priority of things to worry about. If not that, my dreams always have to do with something in my life, they're never completely irrelevant things.. For example, my most recent dream that I dreamed last night: that same day there were some weird things going on with me getting messages at my door from Fedex but I never ordered anything and like no one rang the bell but I would end up with a note from fedex...So I was like okay that's odd, and I didn't worry about it. That night I had a dream that I open the door and it's fedex and I get kidnapped or something lol..
post #11 of 29
every night, multiple dreams.
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
I know that dreaming is a rarity in itself. Dreams are not always every night and some people rarely dream at all. However, for the past 11 days I have had at least one or more dreams. I know that dreaming every night for that long is very unusual and very uncommon.

Some of the dreams are about what I have been angry about, some are totally weird and I have no clue, others are good dreams.

Does anyone know why this is happening and what it could be called? I have never had this happen before.

I might be wrong but I think everyone dreams every night, we just think we don't because we can't remember them all.

I have such a large array of dreams, I don't pay attention to them anymore. Some people think that dreams mean something, I kinda don't..maybe for some people. My dreams are too weird to mean anything. I mean what can it possibly mean to be handed a bunch of forks?

Also a large amount of mine are lucid. Lucid, yet I can't control them, very annoying and sometimes scary.
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
I know that dreaming is a rarity in itself. Dreams are not always every night and some people rarely dream at all. However, for the past 11 days I have had at least one or more dreams. I know that dreaming every night for that long is very unusual and very uncommon.

Some of the dreams are about what I have been angry about, some are totally weird and I have no clue, others are good dreams.

Does anyone know why this is happening and what it could be called? I have never had this happen before.
Hum.... Studies will say that is not really the case... You do dream, you just don't remember. Dreaming is one thing, remembering your dreams is another.
post #14 of 29
I dream almost every night. Sometimes I dream that my dad is still alive and I can talk to him.
post #15 of 29
I guess I dream every night -- that's what sleep studies tell us -- but I seldom remember my dreams. Sometimes, when I wake, I know that I "have had too much to dream", as DH puts it, but still I seldom remember what it was.
post #16 of 29
I very seldom remember my dreams.
post #17 of 29
I have multiple vivid dreams every night. When I did my sleep study for sleep apnea, part of the process the next day was to write down in detail any dreams you had. I wrote over a page worth of 4 or 5 dreams in detail (except the bits I didn't want to share with them ).

If I use my CPAP machine for my sleep apnea, I don't really remember my dreams as I'm in a much deeper sleep. If I don't use the machine, I have a heap of dreams, and don't feel at all refreshed.

My dreams are so vivid, I'll half wake up and I'll be doing whatever it was in the dream. I've been sitting up filing imaginary paperwork in bed, I've gotten dressed while in a half dream state, I've had weird conversations with hubby. If he wasn't such a deep sleeper I'm sure he'd have more good stories
post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillcat View Post
I have to disagree with this. We all dream, that is REM sleep and without it, you can actually go crazy. I don't have the sleep studies at hand to link to, but there are many. It is just that many people do not remember the dreams.
If you are someone who does not remember dreams and suddnly now are, I would say to look and see what might have changed in your life, or something that has been on your mind. Our subconscious speaks to us in our dreams (Though some say that's bunk, I believe it) Look for symbols or circumstances that may be similar in the different dreams. How do they make you feel? Relate them to your life if you can and try to see what your brain is telling you. Im not big into the refrences that say "this dream means this or that" carved in stone, dreams are different for everyone, though there is some common dream symbology. Being naked in a public setting, being chased, teeth falling out, there are more.
I find dreaming fascinating, always have, and have studied a lot about it. I lucid dream, it is a technique that can be learned. You are in the dream, but aware you are dreaming, being awake in a dream so to speak. Not only a really fun thing, but if you are a person that has nightmares, it can get you out of them. It has for me on many occasion.
I meant that dreams are not often remembered, but you are right, we dream all the time.

I can lucid dream. I can wake up and go back to sleep and pick up where I left off 2 or 3 times. I also know when I am dreaming within a dream, but can't wake up.

I remember most of my dreams, however, I have never remembered my dreams 11 days in a row.
post #19 of 29
yes lots of dreams, but when i am stressed i will have terrible night terrors and will sleep walk. Earlier on this year i slept walked out of the house!

i also have nightmares if the wardrobes are open! :S
post #20 of 29
I only seem to have bad dreams and they're often about me forgetting to feed animals or losing them. Last night I dreamed Fable went missing, it kind of kept going round in circles .
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillcat View Post
I have to disagree with this. We all dream, that is REM sleep and without it, you can actually go crazy. I don't have the sleep studies at hand to link to, but there are many. It is just that many people do not remember the dreams.
Yes, and in fact, we all have dozens of dreams each time to enter into REM sleep.

For years I rarely remembered any of my dreams. In fact on the very rare occasion that I did, it was usually a night terror.

A couple years ago I had a sleep study done and it was discovered that I have Chronic Obstructive Sleep Apnea and never entered into REM sleep and therefore didn't dream. When I was put on a CPAP machine during the study I woke up in the morning and told the tech that I had been having hallucinations!!! She told me that I had been dreaming: That I entered into REM sleep and stayed there and had dozens and dozens of dreams! Now I use a CPAP machine at night and I dream every single night. Some dreams stick with me after I wake up, others I remember for a fleeting few seconds upon waking and then they are gone.

But we all dream, provided you enter into REM sleep. If you aren't dreaming, then you should see your doctor and request a sleep study.
post #22 of 29
I had a really weird dream last fall where I was standing in my room and an entity in the form of my cat was biting me in the neck and I heard an unknown, dissonant language. Then the cat became larger, then I became discorporated after which I transferred myself back to my body in the bed and woke up.
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato_gris View Post
I had a really weird dream last fall where I was standing in my room and an entity in the form of my cat was biting me in the neck and I heard an unknown, dissonant language. Then the cat became larger, then I became discorporated after which I transferred myself back to my body in the bed and woke up.
Was this when you first got your cat?
post #24 of 29
No, I've had him for several years.
post #25 of 29
I don't often remember my dreams because I take sedatives for sleep.
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato_gris View Post
No, I've had him for several years.
Was there something in your life someone was trying to say, or tell you, that hapened to you at that time?
That it happened a while ago and still sticks with you is something unresolved.
post #27 of 29
I was paranoid at the time, but I think I remember the dream because it was so bizarre.
post #28 of 29
I think what might have triggered it was encountering some wild animals on a long hike in the middle of the night (2 bear cubs in an enclosure, 3 cougars - one looked like it was getting ready to pounce, a fisher, and several deer).
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato_gris View Post
I was paranoid at the time, but I think I remember the dream because it was so bizarre.
Bizzare happens all the time in dreams.
It is what skicks in our minds we have to ponder.
Paraniod about what? You dont have to answer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › How often do you dream?