TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › How do you trim back claws?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do you trim back claws?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I've been trimming front claws since all of my cats were tiny kittens. It takes all of about 2 minutes for each cat and I rarely have one trying to get away. Now I'm starting to enter them in shows and the rules say they're supposed to have claws clipped on all four paws. Does anyone have a technique that works? My girls don't mind me playing with their toes, I just can't seem to get them at the right angle to cut their nails.
post #2 of 15
I sit mine on a cat tree or kitchen bench, then sort of wrap one arm around their chest as though I'm cuddling them, holding the clippers and use the other hand around the back end to hold the foot.

With Farley, I have to hold him belly up in the crook of one arm like a baby while holding a foot and cut with the other free hand. Of course the biggest boy makes things the hardest!

Probably easier if you've got 2 people to start with, I don't so just found a way that works for me.
post #3 of 15
With Stimpy & Nabu I can set them on my lap, on their backs and clip away. Lola I have to be a little more creative. She's like Jeckyl & Hyde when the clippers come out, so mostly I'm just happy if I get the front ones.
post #4 of 15
Usually my husband holds them in whatever wacky position we can get to trim the back ones when necessary if they won't cooperate, but two of my good boys I hold in my lap sitting like a child and just hold their paw and clip.
post #5 of 15
All I do with Tessie is lay her on her back on my bed and she will sit there till I'm done with the back and front. She knows after we are all done she gets a treat, thats probably why she is so good about it
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'll have to try it with them laying on their backs. It could take a while, though. I'll have to do tummy rubs and chin scritches in between clipping each claw.
post #7 of 15
My guys are laid on their backs and I cross my legs to form a "nest" and then just wrap my arms around their back and hold their back foot and cut them.

Not sure if that helps you or not in my "position".
post #8 of 15
Try first when your kitties are sleepy and cuddly. You can also start rubbing their back paws and get them used to you spreading their toes whenever they're laying on your lap. It always helps to desensitized a cat to that rather than force it on them.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
My guys are laid on their backs and I cross my legs to form a "nest" and then just wrap my arms around their back and hold their back foot and cut them.

Not sure if that helps you or not in my "position".
I can't quite picture this. Do they have their heads or their tails toward you? Or is it head on one knee and feet on the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Try first when your kitties are sleepy and cuddly. You can also start rubbing their back paws and get them used to you spreading their toes whenever they're laying on your lap. It always helps to desensitized a cat to that rather than force it on them.
I do play with their toes a lot and don't have any complaints about that. My problem is getting into a position where the cutting angle is right. I seems like when I do manage to clip the claws they always feel sharper than when I leave them natural. I may settle for smoothing them off with an emery board every couple of days and hope that by show time they're short enough to suit the judges.
post #10 of 15
GoldyCat - MA uses this: http://www.storeshark.com/PediPaws/M/B001FMHZSC.htm

If they don't mind their toes being touched - or even lying on their backs - spend a day or two getting them used to the noise of the thing (turn it on, put it nex to treats ) - and apparently using this is much faster than clipping - that's why MA uses it on her ferals. !!!
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG View Post
GoldyCat - MA uses this: http://www.storeshark.com/PediPaws/M/B001FMHZSC.htm

If they don't mind their toes being touched - or even lying on their backs - spend a day or two getting them used to the noise of the thing (turn it on, put it nex to treats ) - and apparently using this is much faster than clipping - that's why MA uses it on her ferals. !!!
Yeah, I got one of those. Can't get near the cats with it. I've tried every trick in the book to get them used to it, but the second it comes near kitty toes they turn into regular tasmanian devils with a little bit of Houdini mixed in.
post #12 of 15
Goldy

Not good at "showing" when typing.

The head is on the side (with my arms around the shoulder) and the butt is sitting in the "nest" made by crossing my legs. The feet are sticking up in the air for me to do them.

I can show a heck of a lot better then trying to type it....
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleraven7726 View Post
With Stimpy & Nabu I can set them on my lap, on their backs and clip away.
That's the method I use for Lucy and Rocky. I clip Moose's claws when he's sleeping or just waking up.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
Yeah, I got one of those. Can't get near the cats with it. I've tried every trick in the book to get them used to it, but the second it comes near kitty toes they turn into regular tasmanian devils with a little bit of Houdini mixed in.
That's exactly what happens here! Well, thought it was worth a shot.
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Goldy

Not good at "showing" when typing.

The head is on the side (with my arms around the shoulder) and the butt is sitting in the "nest" made by crossing my legs. The feet are sticking up in the air for me to do them.

I can show a heck of a lot better then trying to type it....
This is working fairly well. I think I'll stick to filing instead of clipping. I always smooth off the edges after I clip anyway and that takes longer. Each of the kitties reacts differently when I take too long.

Cali just starts crying and if I ignore her she eventually squirms away.

Iris doesn't move, but she'll growl at me for the last two or three claws.

Miss Patchwillow start to bunny kick when she's runs out of patience. No scratches so far, but man does she have strong feet!

With Shareena I have to do one foot at a time with a fairly long break in between. About the time I start on the second paw she turns her head and bites down on my arm. She doesn't snap at it or break the skin, just gets hold and won't let go. She looks at me like, "I'll let go when you let go." As soon as I let go of her foot, she lets go of my arm. Then she lays there expecting tummy rubs and chin scritches as a reward.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › How do you trim back claws?