Where to pick up prescription?

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stupid question, but I'm not the brightest bulb...

The vet's office is a ways away (she does housecalls), and she faxed me a prescription for antibiotics and special food, so that I can buy it locally. I assume this refers to a local veterinary clinic? If not, where?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKalamata

Stupid question, but I'm not the brightest bulb...

The vet's office is a ways away (she does housecalls), and she faxed me a prescription for antibiotics and special food, so that I can buy it locally. I assume this refers to a local veterinary clinic? If not, where?
What is the food? If it is Science Diet, you can get it at Petsmart - you can call them to see if you can get a prescription there too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The food is Royal Canin S/O (not sure if Petsmart sells RC), and the antibiotic is Baytril. You can fill a prescription at Petsmart???

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The antibiotics you can get at any pharmacy. Wal-Mart has pretty good prices, or whatever pharmacy you usually use for your own prescriptions.

I don't know about the prescription food. Maybe a local vet? Or you can call the pet stores to ask.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

The antibiotics you can get at any pharmacy. Wal-Mart has pretty good prices, or whatever pharmacy you usually use for your own prescriptions.

I don't know about the prescription food. Maybe a local vet? Or you can call the pet stores to ask.
Most local vets should carry the prescription food, though I'd call whoever is closest to make sure they have it before making the trip.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petsmart does have Royal Canin - you can call the nearest one to make sure they have this specific one in stock... Make sure to bring the prescription with you, otherwise you will not be able to get it.
As the other members said, you can also get it from the nearest vet (call in advance, as many of them carry SD instead).

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cool. i never knew you could get pet antibiotics at a human pharmacy. i've either done the vet or an online pet pharmacy. the things i've learned on TCS

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Esme

cool. i never knew you could get pet antibiotics at a human pharmacy. i've either done the vet or an online pet pharmacy. the things i've learned on TCS
The antibiotics/medications vets prescribe are often for human use, e.g., thyroid pills, amoxicillin (more than one sick kitten has gotten cherry-flavored liquid).

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Yes, and it's cheaper to use a pharmacy rather than getting them filled at a vet office too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, Walmart and Walgreens can't fill the prescription, and Petsmart won't let me buy medicine or prescription food unless I'm a Banfield client, which I'm not. Looks like I'll be calling the local vet clinics.

Edit: Local vets only have Purina UR, so that's what I'll be getting. Thanks everyone for the advice, but it seems the local pharmacies are useless and nobody sells Royal Canin.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is on Calcitriol (sp?) and I get it at a local compounding pharmacy. Not all pharmacies are "compounding." You might need to call around first. Also it is easier to give a cat liquid in a syringe than to give it a pill, so the compounding pharmacy may be able to do that for you, and maybe even flavor it chicken!

angelyco

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Petsmart is usually cheaper (vets overcharge out the wazoo unfortunately) but you can always call and check prices first.