Bathroom Etiquette?!?!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sooo I was wondering if anyones cats have bad bathroom etiquette and Im not referring to litter boxes..My one furman drinks out of the potty will not and has not used a water dish ever! He sleeps in the bathroom whether it be on the rug or in the sink thats normally where he is. Now what just makes me laugh is that when BF or I go in to use the potty we are thoroughly reprimanded for having dared stepped into his area. And this can include anything from a smack on the leg to jumping into a lap and yelling in our faces....

Does anyone else have a kitty with bad bathroom manners!!??? I hope Im not the only one LOL!!

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are not alone!

I've caught all 3 of mine drinking from the toilet. No idea why. Especially since they have to get in such an awkward position to do so.

Luke loves to lay in the bath tub. Both Luke and Harvey love to be on your lap whilst you are on the toilet. Danny steals Q-Tips out of the trashcan. All 3 are fascinated by a flushing toilet......

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We keep the lid closed but Dusty will run in there when I go in. She will jump on the seat and I have to shoo her off! They both love to watch the water. Dusty will lay in the tub and will jump in when you are getting ready to take a shower or bath. She will watch the water creep toward her and then jump out when it reaches her feet!

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I live alone I don't usually bother to close the door to the loo, since its a dark closet anyway (its Japanese style so the big sink and shower are in another room).

Aya follows me in and jumps on my lap the minute I sit down. Not to be petted, she rarely likes that, but to stretch herself up to the handwashing sink. I have to turn on the tap for her and wait till she's done drinking to get up!

Needless to say, she rarely drinks from her dish anymore...

caitsith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Same problem here! We have to keep the door open most of the time as one of thier trays in in there. Tabitha and Daisy sleep in the sink and the bath and i can't spend a penny without daisy jumping on my lap !!! And god forbid if you have to ask either one of them to move !! I try to keep the lid down because i could just see Daisy falling in
Ive caught her many times with her head down the loo !! Shes not as clever as her sister!!

bridget

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My smallest cat, Mouse, practically lives in the bathroom; we call her "bathroom kitty."

My son's big cat used to use the toilet. I didn't believe it until he spent a few days at my house. Daughter and I saw him slip into the bathroom and we peeked at him from around the corner. Sure enough, he was balanced & peeing! Son said no one taught him to do it, he just watched them and started doing it. When my son moved into another home, the cat started using a litter box instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha I love these stories. I was worried FatMan was a weirdo cuz the other 2 dont have any bathroom issues at all...But Fatman well as I type is in the bathroom cozied up on the rug...I have a video of him drinking out of the potty If I can figure out how to do it Ill try and post it for all to see!!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ginger must watch me when I am on the potty. I have no idea why this facinates her so much! I live alone so I don't close the door when I go, and If I do to stop her from coming in she will meow at me very loud and scratch at the door.

But accidentaly walk in on her in her box, oh goodness the look of shock on her face!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Miss Patchwillow jumps on my lap as soon as I sit down. Heaven help me if I try to stand up before she's had her fill of cuddling. Iris sit on the side of the vanity and watches me closely. The second I stand up she hops into the sink and curls up, looking very smug. She fills up the whole sink so I can turn on the water to wash my hands.

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had two cats come and sit in my lap as soon as I sit down. Especially in the morning. Fancy, my formerly feral Siamese comes running in and attacks any towels that are on the floor. I could just sit there all day and be entertained.

Best,

Elizabeth

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally understand the bathroom as a hangout, but never in a million years would I allow Maia, or any pet, to drink from the toilet! They often find comfort from the tile or ceramic being cooler and the fact that this is somewhere we cleanup every day, on schedule. I don't flush the toilet without the lid being closed
! It baffles me why others don't see that when you use the toilet, leave the lid up after and flush, it is a fan blowing bacteria throughout the room! Would you drink out of the toilet?????????????
The dominant behavior is different, but please don't let your pets drink from the toilet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
*raises hand*

My two both like the bathroom, but Freya's fascinated with it.
You can't take a bath without them! (literally - Freya's figured out how to open the bathroom door) Freya also likes to hang out on the bath mat when there's no one in there, plus she plays in the bathtub when it's empty. Cotton perches on the sink and watches her with a look like he's trying to figure out what her fascination is.

pgrant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat will hop in the bathtub and lick the water dripping from the faucet. She'll also just sit in the tub for no reason at various random points during the day.

Also, she INSISTS on being let in while "I" am in there. Door scratching and mewing ensues if I do not open the door for her.

What is it with cats and this bloody room?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack loves to sleep in the bathtub and play in the bathtub--without water or right after I take a bath.

Jack and Harley both join you on your lap while on the toilet--company loves that. We generally don't close the door to the bathroom--as its generally not well accepted here by the cats.

Leslie

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on potty etiquette...I went to brush my teeth this morning and shut the door because Fatman was still sleeping and he proceded to throw himself against the door till he popped it open and then just jumped into the sink looking and yelling at me like what in the world was I doing in HIS room..LOL...I guess I learned my lesson lol...Fatman has taken over the bathroom and there is no if ands or buts about it!!!!

kookoo4kiities

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats, and all of them rush into the bathroom the moment I sit on the john, demanding that I give them scsratches and loving. Tomiko would love to sit in my lap but I won't let her, and KoKo backs up to me, so I can scratch his tailbone while he is walking away, only to come back for more. I am not allowed to potty alone, ever. Geez, it's enough to constipate a person!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genever finally realised she is strong enough to be able to open the bathroom door to get in. (i usually don't close it all the way so it's not latched or anything. Just push the door and it will open, silly!) She used to just stick her paw through the gap real pathetically, as if she was trapped outside. She now jumps up and pushes the door with her front paws and comes in wanting to be petted. Meowing the whole time too. Never jumps on my lap though (yet), and usually runs away when I flush. Also she likes to hang out when I'm in the tub, and will steal my nail brush or tweezers from the ledge and then run out of the room with it!

However, she will not go IN the tub or sink. I have put her in there when it was wet but no water, and also when completely dry, and she gets the poofy tail and runs out. If i ever have to give her a bath, it's going to be an event for sure!

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sneaky's favorite game is "stick under door". She'll sit on one side of the door, and you stick a ruler underneith it. Little white paws appear under the door.

What she'll do is follow you when you go into the half-bath downstairs. Little white paws will appear under the door while you're on the potty
So you have to put a foot up to the door.

Sometimes there's purring while you play that game.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have I guess what you could call an extra large gap between the floor and door and last night I was in the bathroom jabbering with Fatman and Franklin..Well Franklin started barking and geeking out and it turns out GiGi is still small enough to squeeze her tiny heinie under the door and come in and hang out with everyone! LOL..Couldn you imagine how loud and long my getting ready for work too with those three with me!!