wax on, wax off

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone have good tips for removing wax?
Last night I spilled a ton of wax when I picked up a candle to blow it out. It's in the bathroom so mostly on tiles and plastic, but it's not coming off easily.
Do I have to scrape it all off slowly or is there a better way?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iron???

Not sure about the plastic though..... but what I do for carpet is put a couple paper towels down over the wax, use the iron to heat it so it melts, and it gets absorbs by the towels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm, it's all over the toilet seat and the tile floor. I guess I could try an iron though to melt it, or maybe a matches, then sop it up with the paper towels? Oh I see a disaster happening! At least there's water handy to put out any fires.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put ice on the spots to get them really cold or frozen and the spots should just lift and peel off.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spilled wax on a carpet once from a tart warmer. What worked for me was a blow dryer to warm it up a little bit not so it was oozy and gooey but so its soft and got a putty knife and butter knife and just started pulling it up and after I got a majority of it off I used Goo-Be-Gone its a miracle worker of cleaning products and it helped getting the rest off. Id imagine for tile a butter knife and blow dryer would be great to get it off...the toilet seat if its got a cover on it id spend the extra 4 bucks and buy a new one cuz those fuzzy string thingers will probably rip up and then it will start going bald!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Linda's given you the best advice, but I have to say I wondered what the Karate Kid reference was going to be...

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had much luck with the ice trick

Thanks to the poster who suggested the hair dryer tho.... I'll prolly use that one sometime.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No Problem!! Imagine how mad my mom was when I spilled that..Burgundy red wax on a freshly shampooed WHITE carpet!! LOL she still gets mad at me when we bring it up and it was almost 10 yrs ago!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

No Problem!! Imagine how mad my mom was when I spilled that..Burgundy red wax on a freshly shampooed WHITE carpet!! LOL she still gets mad at me when we bring it up and it was almost 10 yrs ago!
LMAO.....

That would prolly be how mad I'd be at myself if I spilled white wax on the blue/grey carpet we just put in, in the rec room.

Note to self: No candles downstairs.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Isopropyl alcohol 99%!! Yeah baby, that stuff rocks!
I was in the bathroom and noticed that the wax was still there - not surprising since I hadn't tried removing it yet.
Looked like I barfed up a smurf.
Anyway, it came off like a breeze with the alcohol. Awesome. Don't know if that would work for fabric though. I use that stuff quite a bit for various things, it's as good as Goo Gone IMO.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Isopropyl alcohol 99%!! Yeah baby, that stuff rocks!
I was in the bathroom and noticed that the wax was still there - not surprising since I hadn't tried removing it yet.
Looked like I barfed up a smurf.
Anyway, it came off like a breeze with the alcohol. Awesome. Don't know if that would work for fabric though. I use that stuff quite a bit for various things, it's as good as Goo Gone IMO.
it came off.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the answer. Put down an absorbant overlay. paper towels may be? and then iron it to melt. It wil come out. Use a BIG bunch of paper towels. warm it with iron and it will abssorb the wax. I have gotten candel wax out of carpet this way

it works.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once spilled almost an entire candle on the side of our couch and the carpet at our rental place. Two hours later, loving and helpful family, and I was able to get ALL the wax up. We used an iron and a hair dryer (because there were a few of us trying to clean it all up) and towels. Once it was all done, there was only a slight discoloration on the floor, and the couch was good as new.

Good luck!!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I definitely keep that in mind for future spills on fabric, and knowing my clumsiness, it will happen! the candle did splatter a few drops on the bathroom mat, but it's seriously not worth worrying about as I can just flip it over.