my heart is torn

donnanaguib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everybody,

I am from Egypt, from Zagazig ( a city about an hour and a half far from Cairo). There was a poor kitten with disability in our street. I was trying to help her but she was hit by a car yesterday. I feel so miserable and want to make a cat shelter in our city. There is no cat shelters in my city and I feel bad about it, especially that the number of stray cats here is large. They are all sweet and poor. They are also very tame Egyptian mau cats. The kitten who died was awesomely pretty. I am not sure about how I can persuade people here to adopt these cats instead of letting them suffer like that in the streets. People here always say "We better donate to poor humans than to donate for cats". They also see a cat as a source of inflicting women with toxoplasma and they think all cats cause infertility. Few people here care about cats and I am scared of opening a shelter and then people won't care to donate. It all depends on changing people's views about cat because if they adopt the stray cats, it will even be better for the cats than opening a shelter. Shelters are very important but we need to encourage people to adopt cats at home. Do u have any tips? I feel so much hurt and broken-hearted because I couldn't help the kitten enough and she died.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand why it must break your heart. It would mine also. I am suprised as in Egypt cats were gods at one point! Check out Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah USA. I think the website is bestfriends.org but you can look it up in the search engine. They can help direct you. I believe they help not just in the US but also internationally set up rescue organizations and to educate people. They also have alot of resources to point you in the right direction.

It can be done! Absolutely!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

I can understand why it must break your heart. It would mine also. I am suprised as in Egypt cats were gods at one point! Check out Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah USA. I think the website is bestfriends.org but you can look it up in the search engine. They can help direct you. I believe they help not just in the US but also internationally set up rescue organizations and to educate people. They also have alot of resources to point you in the right direction.

It can be done! Absolutely!
Best Friends is absolutely the right place to start. They have a lot of good information. It sounds like your biggest battle is going to be education, but I think you might be suprised at the amount of help you get.