Introducing our new kitten to our resident cat?!

sarah54

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have just adopted a 3 1/2 month old kitten, Luca, and have started the introduction process, but I just had a few questions on some things that our resident cat, Geoffery, has been doing.

1. He swats at Luca
2. He pounces on Luca and bites him but them licks him
3. When Luca tries to jump on Geoffery, Geoffery runs away
4. Geoffery's tail is going puffy sometimes when Luca is around
5. Geoffery has hissed a few times but hasn't hissed since they were first introduced
5. They put their paws under the door where Luca is being kept for now

I just want to make sure that all these things are normal or if we should be removing them from the situation when these things happen.

Thank you so much!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are in pretty good shape.

We also got a new kitten, and our 6 yr old isn't happy at all. She growls and hisses at the kitten. Adult cat (Dusty) is an in/out cat, and now she wants to spend the whole day out. I am making the kitten an indoor only cat. Squeak the kitten isn't at all bothered or intimidated by Dusty's behavior. But I worry about Dusty because I don't think she's been eating much - too nervous with the kitten trying to steal her food.

I hope it works out because we really want to keep Squeak.

They both slept in our room last night, and I didn't hear fights break out, so there is hope. I'm just worried about the food situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah54

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for replying!

How long did you need to keep them seperated before you left them alone in the house together for the whole day?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say if meetings have gone well so far (and it sounds like they have
) that it should be just fine to let them alone together. But I am naughty meowmy and let my cats hang out together without proper intros.
But sometimes you can just tell when they get along and when there is tension. It sounds like they are having some fun together play fighting and Geoffrey doing the biting, licking thing. They should be okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah54

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks fifi1puss!!

Just one more question (sorry!
)

I went home for lunch and let Luca out of the bathroom and everything was going fine, Geoffery was grooming him and they were running around a bit, but the Geoffery jumped on top of Luca and and was really biting him and kicking him with his feet. Luca even wimpered a little.

I removed them both and put Luca back in the bathroom...whats up with this now? Is this normal?

Thank you!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, its fine. They are playing. It can mimic a real fight situation but trust me....you will know when they are really fighting. Its really really bad. They play fight and you will hear all sorts of sounds coming from them. Just sit back and enjoy. You can you tube cats "fighting" or playing and can see what it looks like. just so you have a frame of reference.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarah54

Thanks so much for replying!

How long did you need to keep them seperated before you left them alone in the house together for the whole day?
We got Squeak last Wed. night. Today is the first day I left them alone together for about 4 hours this morning. When I got home they were fine and no blood. But Dusty wanted to go outside. I'm still concerned that Dusty isn't eating as much as she should.