Ever wonder what's happend to common sense? (small vent)

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a lot of people wonder, but this morning I'm seriously debating the common sense factor around my work place. First we used to have bottled water & the guys would use it all the time to make their coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I will say I would use tap water for my tea because I knew I was boiling the water. OK, I admit some understanding of not wanting to use tap water, but this morning really takes the cake. We recently got a bottleless water machine. It filters the regular tap water. Ours has, cold water, hot water & room temperature water. I can totally see me using the hot water to make my tea. I can also see how the guys would want to use the room temperature water to make their coffee. It's filtered & probably appears a little safer, but just now a guy used the COLD water to fill the coffee pot. OK, think man why do you need cold water to make coffee? Your going to put it in the pot & it is going to get hot. USE THE ROOM TEMPERATURE WATER!! It may seem small or silly, but now I know that when I go to get water it won't be cold. It's going to take a while for the water in the machines tank to get cold again. OK, just had to vent that.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he might not have been thinking. When I boil water at home, I use cold water because there is a higher chance of getting particles from your pipes in your food/drink from using hot water. *shrug*

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As most real coffee drinkers will tell you, for better coffee you actually should start with cold water.

My mom thought the same as you and would use warm or hot water until I asked her not to anymore.

ETA: All root veggies, i.e., carrots, turnip, potatoes, etc. should always be started with cold water as well.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always learned to use cold water for making coffee in a coffee machine :shrug:

Common sense: Not so common

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cold water (meaning using the cold tap) makes a better cup for 2 reasons
1) Incresed particulates in hot water tap
2) Hot water alters brewing time, which does not give the coffee enough time to release its flavour during the brewing process

Now, in a system as described by the OP, using the cold vs. "room temp" would not likely make a difference - as the water is filtered, and coming from the "cold" tap in both situations, but with the "cold" selection, the water is additionally chilled to something like 2-3 celcius. This may actually negatively impact the taste of the coffee by altering the brewing time, as this is a much colder temperature than you would ever get out of your tap. This is all assuming the use of a standard drip-style coffee maker, if its the type that keeps a pot of water "stored" (these usually only take 2-3 mins) then the temp of the water you add makes no difference (unless again, you are concerned about mineralization from a hot water tap).

So I have to agree with the OP in this specific situation, using the RT water (which comes from the cold water tap) is the most polite option in an office where people might actually like to have cold water to drink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never knew there was so much science in making coffee, but then again I don't like coffee. The water is especially cold, made for drinking. The glass coffee pot he was using had condensation on the outside. After reading responses, I realize that perhaps the title should be common courtesy.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

As most real coffee drinkers will tell you, for better coffee you actually should start with cold water.

My mom thought the same as you and would use warm or hot water until I asked her not to anymore.

ETA: All root veggies, i.e., carrots, turnip, potatoes, etc. should always be started with cold water as well.
Yep - my machine also advises cold water...

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
we have a similar contraption at work and when I fill my pot to make coffee I use both the cold and room temp lever so the pot fills up faster

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

we have a similar contraption at work and when I fill my pot to make coffee I use both the cold and room temp lever so the pot fills up faster
That I would understand. It does move rather slowly!

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always use ice cold water bottles when I boil water for things I'm going to consume. The only thing I use tap water for is washing dishes. I don't trust tap water, and it tastes bad.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a refrigerator / freezer where you can make ice cubes? I always make ice cubes from the filtered water (we only have cold in our machine) and I use ice cubes in the water to make it colder.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I never knew there was so much science in making coffee, but then again I don't like coffee. The water is especially cold, made for drinking. The glass coffee pot he was using had condensation on the outside. After reading responses, I realize that perhaps the title should be common courtesy.
For some reason I have a feeling he wasn't trying to brew the perfect coffee
. More like simply not thinking..........

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

For some reason I have a feeling he wasn't trying to brew the perfect coffee
. More like simply not thinking..........
Quite possibly he wasn't awake yet...isn't that what coffee is for anyhow?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Quite possibly he wasn't awake yet...isn't that what coffee is for anyhow?
I think someone was saying.....
"Give back that cold water, give me cold water"

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know what they say: Common sense comes from experience, and experience comes from a lack of common sense.