TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Which breed is better for me?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which breed is better for me?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

I usually lurk on here, but I feel that I'm in such a dilemma, I decided to register to gather your opinions on this matter.

I have two rescue cats of my own already and this time, I'd like to add in a purebred. I have fallen deep in love with both Scottish Folds and Devon Rexes. Both of them totally appeal to me, but the problem is, I can only bring home one (DH stressed the "one" word ).

I'll tell you what I'm looking for and why I like these two breeds and maybe some of you can give me some opinions?

I want a cat who loves human companionship and craves it to some degree. A sociable and friendly cat who is docile when it comes to handling, being pet, picked up, and so on. I think the most important factor though is the people oriented one. I really would want a cat that would enjoy being around me. I also know that it's important to look at the individual personality as well but for the sake of me narrowing it down to one breed first so that I can start to look around for reputable breeders, let's just talk breed generalizations.

I love the Folds because their cute faces are too irresistible. I love the folded ears and the big head. Fold owners seem to claim this is the perfect cat breed, but then again, who doesn't say that about their own breed? The thing that kind of bugs me though is the complaints I hear about the amount of fur Folds shed. It seems to be bags of them all at once. That's kind of a turn off. About personality, some say they are really cuddly while others say they are laid back and like to observe from a distance.

I love the Rexes because the minimal shedding factor appeals to me. I also like that they like being around people and prefer it over other pets/animals. I'm just worried that they might be a little too smart for me and get into all kinds of trouble like opening cupboards and pushing things to the floor and feeding the dog! When people say they are like monkeys, how bad is it? Is it to the point where most people would get annoyed and fed up?

Anyway those are my reasoning and where I'm coming from but I must admit that I still can't believe how cute the Folds are. I've wanted one ever since I first laid eyes on one, but like I said, personality and affection/interaction is quite important to me.

Anyone have experience with both these breeds that can give input? Actually, any input is better than nothing, previous experience or not.

Thank you for reading.
post #2 of 13
Folds have a normal to thicker coat and probably would be fine with combing 2 times a week to get rid of the loose fur. However, you might have a hard time trying to find a "pet" quality folded ear cat as the breeders can only show folded ears in the show ring. If you are willing to adopt a retired cat that is folded eared, you would have better luck.

IMO they have the more laid back personality (and activity level) of the Brits.

Devon ARE active cats and they ARE smart and they DO open up cupboards, etc as their paws are more like fingers (I bred and owned Cornish Rex - which are very similar to Devons). Rexes do love people, love to be held, and snuggle under the blankets when its cold.

Personally I like the more people oriented and active cats, so I would go with the Rex (tho I like Cornies better). We have an Ocicat now and they are worse with opening cupboards and intelligence then the Rexes!
post #3 of 13
Well, I have 2 full Devons and my Devon/Sphynx cross and I would never part with any of them. They are so great. Mine have calmed down quite a bit now that they're 2 years old, but we did keep a kitten that was part of a litter born to us in December. I was able to train her and her littermates to be the kind of cat we wanted...loves to be held, loves to be with us (usually when we're on our computers, she helps keep us from floating away LOLOL). I love the fact that they don't shed (or very little) and they're sooooo soft.

The scottish folds are cute as pie. I don't know much about the breed's personality, but I'm confident there is much to read about that subject.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Folds have a normal to thicker coat and probably would be fine with combing 2 times a week to get rid of the loose fur. However, you might have a hard time trying to find a "pet" quality folded ear cat as the breeders can only show folded ears in the show ring. If you are willing to adopt a retired cat that is folded eared, you would have better luck.

IMO they have the more laid back personality (and activity level) of the Brits.

Devon ARE active cats and they ARE smart and they DO open up cupboards, etc as their paws are more like fingers (I bred and owned Cornish Rex - which are very similar to Devons). Rexes do love people, love to be held, and snuggle under the blankets when its cold.

Personally I like the more people oriented and active cats, so I would go with the Rex (tho I like Cornies better). We have an Ocicat now and they are worse with opening cupboards and intelligence then the Rexes!
Thank you, that's what I have read about both breeds. Thanks for confirming that. I definitely prefer the personality or temperament of the Devon over the Fold. Guess I have to Rex-proof everything!

Do you think it matters if I bring home a kitten that is ready to go right at 12 weeks or one that is 5-6 months old? Will I have missed the window of opportunity to socialize the cat the way I want to? or maybe genetics has more to do with it? I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewch View Post
Well, I have 2 full Devons and my Devon/Sphynx cross and I would never part with any of them. They are so great. Mine have calmed down quite a bit now that they're 2 years old, but we did keep a kitten that was part of a litter born to us in December. I was able to train her and her littermates to be the kind of cat we wanted...loves to be held, loves to be with us (usually when we're on our computers, she helps keep us from floating away LOLOL). I love the fact that they don't shed (or very little) and they're sooooo soft.

The scottish folds are cute as pie. I don't know much about the breed's personality, but I'm confident there is much to read about that subject.
Yeah I'm torn between the looks and personality but the latter is def. more important to me so I think I'm settling on a Rex. Good to hear your experiences with them, they sound really sweet!
post #5 of 13
I think the Cornish Rex is better then a Devon Rex.
Go for a 4 month old kitten if you can.
post #6 of 13
Mews is right, the more "Mommy-time" a kitten has, the better socialized they will be. We humans can't do nearly as good of a job as a momma cat.
post #7 of 13
Depends on if the breeder has kept up with the socialization of the older kitten. I've had kittens bought as different ages, and it doesn't matter that much IMO.
post #8 of 13
I love Devons, so would choose that over a Scottish. Also a friend says her 1 Brit sheds more than her 2 Persians so if shedding is a concern a Scottish would not be for you.

I like Maru, a Scottish You Tube star, he's hilarious. http://www.youtube.com/user/mugumogu
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamored View Post
Hi all,

I want a cat who loves human companionship and craves it to some degree. A sociable and friendly cat who is docile when it comes to handling, being pet, picked up, and so on. I think the most important factor though is the people oriented one. I really would want a cat that would enjoy being around me. I also know that it's important to look at the individual personality as well but for the sake of me narrowing it down to one breed first so that I can start to look around for reputable breeders, let's just talk breed generalizations.

Thank you for reading.
You are describing an Abyssinian to a T!

...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...

Having said that, I'd rather a Fold then a Devon IMO.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
I think the Cornish Rex is better then a Devon Rex.
Go for a 4 month old kitten if you can.
Thanks for your input.
I adopted both my rescues when they were 8-9 weeks young although I know ideally, they should be at least 12 weeks before leaving mom. It was a rescue situation though so the mom wasn't there. Anyway I'm wondering why 4 months and not 3 or 5? I'm curious as to the reason, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymotus View Post
I love Devons, so would choose that over a Scottish. Also a friend says her 1 Brit sheds more than her 2 Persians so if shedding is a concern a Scottish would not be for you.

I like Maru, a Scottish You Tube star, he's hilarious. http://www.youtube.com/user/mugumogu
Haha yeah I love Maru too! He is such a funny guy. One Fold owner told me that her Fold "drips fur" even though she brushes him every day. I don't think I can handle breathing all that fur in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abymummy View Post
You are describing an Abyssinian to a T!

...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...

Having said that, I'd rather a Fold then a Devon IMO.
Hehe, is it because you prefer the look of the Folds to the Devons? For me it was an "acquired" taste that developed over a couple of years.
post #11 of 13
Alot of the breeders like to have them fixed and all the shots done before they go.
Some breeders do let them go at 3 months.
The Rabies shot should be given around 4 months.
I have seen all the breeds you mentioned at cat shows.
The folds seem so laid back and calm.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamored View Post
Thanks for your input.
Hehe, is it because you prefer the look of the Folds to the Devons? For me it was an "acquired" taste that developed over a couple of years.
Nothing to do with look really and everything to do with cuddliness ... with the exception of my Abys (whom are very cuddly), I do prefer the "rounded" cats as opposed to slinkier cats. For example, having shown and now breeding (for a little while at least) Maine Coons and Norwegians, I definitely prefer the Norwegian over the Maine Coons! Wegies are stockier, Maine Coons are loooong, therefore, when I hug a Wegie, it feels like there's so much more substance to the cat!
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymotus View Post
Also a friend says her 1 Brit sheds more than her 2 Persians so if shedding is a concern a Scottish would not be for you.
As an ex-Persian owner who now has Brits (in long- and shorthair) and a Foldie, I have to disagree on that one. I wonder why everyone thinks Brits shed a lot because mine doesn't, specially when compared to other breeds? Or maybe it's the color (=texture) of the fur.. (out of the 3 silvers and 1 pointed, the pointed sheds the most). Of course they shed, but not that much.

My Fold has very different personality than my Brits. He's very social, only one of my cats who sleeps on my lap (and on my pillow during the nights). He's also a lot more active which has surprised me 'coz I though they would be more laid back, and he's very mischievous, it's like having a kid in the house. He's definitely not the brightest kitty I've met, but one of the most entertaining for sure!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Which breed is better for me?