wild dogs - what food to put in trap?

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Long story short, the dogs are still hanging around the farm. they have been shot at but they never got hit. a few days ago was the last straw when they came up to me and started growling, so now i am going to try trap them in a humane trap. however, what food do you use to trap dogs??? totally clueless, i know about what food to use to trap cats but not dogs

what is a dogs favorite/most smelly food?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that dogs will go for rancid meat and cats will not, so that could be used to keep from trapping cats.
However, possums love rancid things and coyotes do too.

I guess I have no clue either

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They may eat rancid stinky stuff but if they get get fresh meat or something yummy / smelly they'll take that in a heartbeat. I'd use bacon, blue cheese and / or some raw meaty bones. They'll have a hard time resisting that.

Are they really wild as in feral or strays?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
they are really feral, however they aren't afraid to go up to a person if they outnumber the amount of people. they have tried to attack a few people now.

thanks i'll try those things. i have raw meat because that is what i feed the barn cats.

is it cooked bacon or raw bacon? i can get some of the scraps from bacon from the grocery store for just 50 cents a pound so it would be worth trying.

kfc - problem is that the nearest one is half an hour away. a local stor though has amazing fried chicken (i vote way better than kfc) and it does have a strong smell.

thanks again

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever I'm at a pet sit and I can't get a dog to eat I find a little cat food on top of their food always does the trick. You could just put canned cat food in the trap. Everything in the world is bound to come after it though.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holy cow! Those dogs sound scary. Be careful if you catch one. And don't be surprised if you get a few coyotes/raccoons/possums etc. I don't think you'll find a dog specific bait for the traps afterall.

bcbc mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. Maybe I'm wrong here. I just don't believe in trapping animals. I mean, if they're that nasty, whats to be done with them after they're trapped? Where are they going to be set free? This is a rock and a hard place situation for me. like I said-maybe I'm wrong. I can definately see trying to protect your own, but I just wonder what would be done after all of these good suggestions...

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen the dogs for two weeks...and the humane society never has gotten back to me even though i have called a few times and went there once. Now that i've said that i bet they will show up tomorrow.

After they were trapped I think the humane society would put them down. these dogs are not some ones pet, they are wild and dangerous for any living thing to come in contact with. The last time i saw them they were just skin and bones, i'd rather not see them starve to death.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bcbc mom

I'm sorry. Maybe I'm wrong here. I just don't believe in trapping animals. I mean, if they're that nasty, whats to be done with them after they're trapped? Where are they going to be set free? This is a rock and a hard place situation for me. like I said-maybe I'm wrong. I can definately see trying to protect your own, but I just wonder what would be done after all of these good suggestions...
Im not sure about dogs, but I do know feral cats can so many many times be put in a home where they learn to trust someone and turn their lives completely around, from being wild little felines to experiencing love, even if its just from one person. There are many reasons to trap, to spay and neuter, health concerns and yes sometimes to help a poor helpless animal over the bridge. And hopefully that is done humanely and comfortably for the animal.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Im not sure about dogs, but I do know feral cats can so many many times be put in a home where they learn to trust someone and turn their lives completely around, from being wild little felines to experiencing love, even if its just from one person. There are many reasons to trap, to spay and neuter, health concerns and yes sometimes to help a poor helpless animal over the bridge. And hopefully that is done humanely and comfortably for the animal.
i trap feral cats as often as i can and get them s/n. some of them are really feral and are hard to deal with however it is more humane for them to not have to keep having kittens. unfortunatly cats are dumped around here to often. people think that hey its the countryside, there's mice, fluffy can live here just fine. those cats are adopted out at petsmart.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Kentucky fried chicken
Just be sure to remove the bones first!

I understand your feelings. But the dogs may be sick and spreading disease and they are certainly a risk to everyone and thing else. Euthanasia at the shelter is certainly better than any fate that is awaiting them as they run in a pack terrorizing the neighborhood.

Originally Posted by furryfriends50

I haven't seen the dogs for two weeks...and the humane society never has gotten back to me even though i have called a few times and went there once. Now that i've said that i bet they will show up tomorrow.

After they were trapped I think the humane society would put them down. these dogs are not some ones pet, they are wild and dangerous for any living thing to come in contact with. The last time i saw them they were just skin and bones, i'd rather not see them starve to death.
I agree with you and hurray for you for caring!

Please keep us updated.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes its definitely so much better for them to not have kittens and spread disease, which they are more prone to fight when they are not spayed or neutered. If the cat is so feral that it has to be returned at least no more kittens.

Do feral dogs tame like some feral cats do?

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hi,

I don't think you can compare feral cats with feral dogs- simply because feral dogs can be dangerous to people up to the point where they will attack and kill people if the pack is hungry enough and outnumbers the humans or they stumble across a child without grown ups in the area.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...917380,00.html

Same thing also happened this year to some tourists in Greece.

So these dogs will have to be trapped, especially as FurrieFriends wrote that these dogs come up to her growling:

Originally Posted by furryfriends50

.....a few days ago was the last straw when they came up to me and started growling,
They might just growl at her- but what will they do if they encounter a child?

regards,

christine