A reminder and my kitten (fairly graphic pics)

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi folks,

I posted briefly a few days ago about my kitten Tales. I'd like this post to be looked on as a reminder to us all about the importance of taking your cat to the vet.

Tale's story starts back in April where the weather in NZ is relatively warm still. One of my outdoor cats got fleas and must have given them to my kitten who was treated immediately (4 months at the time) and 2 weeks later I noticed she had a raised bump on her rump. I picked out the fur and it didn't look too major so I wasn't concerned and kept showing her.

At the start of May I got worried when I saw it start to bleed and applied colloidal silver to it. It all healed up but last week was the worse when it all opened up and started bleeding. I took her to the vet that week and immediately she shaved her fur and said she had a really long named condition but basically it was dermatitis that had got infected.

I meant to upload a photo of her fur before it was shaved - bear in mind you couldn't see this lump and it hadn't started bleeding until last week. I do feel awful though and should NEVER have tried to self medicate.

Pics are below:

Please if you can spare some vibes for Tales that would be most appreciated. She's on antibiotics twice daily and has an antiseptic cream applied three times daily. She's going back to the vet for a check up on Friday and it doesn't seem to have got any better (the pics were taken last Friday) but I'll take some pics to prepare. I just wish I had taken her that last week of April when I first noticed it. That's something I have to live with.

She's so happy though and doesn't realise what all the fuss is about and I've never seen her touch it.

Thank you for reading
Sam & Tales

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ouch Sam, poor Tales. Mega healing for Tales.

Thanks for posting your story, I do hope it helps those who choose to "self-vet" their animals.

I'm sorry you guys are going thru this, and I hope Tales mends quickly.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby Tales, sending you mega healing vibes that this goes away fast!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everbody. Tales thanks you too.

Here is what it looked like before it was shaved -- it's the other side of her but you really have to be vigilent with checking your kitty.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of prayers for a quick recovery - and thank you for sharing your experience. I think we've all been there - either for treating ourselves or others. You sort of hate taking up a professional's time when it seems pretty minor, and especially if everything else seems healthy, but maybe 'safe than sorry' is really the mantra we should all be chanting!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, I'm not clear on this. Are you thinking this is a reaction to a flea bite, or what?

Poor beautiful kitty, for quick healing.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't look that bad. I can understand how you wouldn't have been seriously concerned at first.

I have a kitty that has something similar. Her back legs and belly have nearly bald patches and a bit of scaring from what must have been a really terrible reaction years ago. I was working on taming her down when a small spot formed on her head - I wasn't concerned originally, either, cats get cuts and scraps when they're outside. Except it went through cycles of healing and busting open again. She hated the antibiotics (learned how to spit them out eventually) but they did help - though better now I'm sure this will flare up again in the future if she ever gets extremely stressed or an insect gets in the house.
Main trigger - insect bite allergy. Allergic to fleas and very allergic to mosquitoes and ticks.

Tales doesn't look so bad though, she should hopefully start showing more healing in a week and since you really didn't let it go her fur probably won't be affected.
You couldn't have known that she was allergic to anything and did take proper measures against fleas. That's more than the former owner of my little girl did - they ditched her outside.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sam... many many vibes for your baby
I don't think it is that bad either... This is how Bugsy got when the vet gave him that topical dewormer (I think it's called profender??)...
It took a couple of months, but he got all better... The other time he got like that was with Revolution - I wonder if white kitties have more sensitive skin?
Hugs to you
vibes for Tales...

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everybody. Tales is with all of you that don't think it's that bad. I don't think she's noticed.

Yes I do think it was from a flea bite but could have originated from a dog bite or a at scratch or bite too.

Carolina I definitely think white cats have more sensitive skin!

Thanks again.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really don't think that trying a little home care is so bad though, as long as you monitor it and take the cat to the vet in case stuff gets worse. It's just first aid. You don't check in to a burn unit if you burn yourself cooking, you run cold water on it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I definitely think white cats have more sensitive skin!
My Siri is completely black... and bald.

I suspected EGC in her, though. Right before I caught and took her to the vet her nose was getting the same bumps on it that the cat in the last picture on this page has http://www.fabcats.org/owners/skin/e...granuloma.html Your kitty reminds me a little of the pruritus picture.

Hopefully your kitty's skin issue is just from a flea bite. If it still looks bad, gets worse, or is reoccurring you may have a food allergy to deal with.

Anyways for Tales, and don't think for a moment that you were neglectful of her in the slightest.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for the vibes.

Tales had her first check up today - the vet said she is going well and healing and prescriped another 10 days of antibiotics. We go back to the vets on the 25th. I'll try and take some comparison pics tomorrow.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Thanks again for the vibes.

Tales had her first check up today - the vet said she is going well and healing and prescriped another 10 days of antibiotics. We go back to the vets on the 25th. I'll try and take some comparison pics tomorrow.
Glad to hear she is healing well Sam...

continued for Tales.