Still another movie thread!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most movies are just movies. Some have some hidden dark meaning. And some have significance far beyond their intention, not for what's necessarily in the movie, but rather for some trend they start, some fad they start, some totally new aspect they open up, any number of things. Have you seen these? And can you add more?

1. "Roman Holiday." A fun romp with Audrey Hepburne, but another important secondary effect: It made Vespa scooters hot sellers in the U.S. Until this movie, they were not sellling well at all.

2. "A Hard Day's Night." This first Beatle film, while no great cinematic feat, was the first "music video," the precursor to MTV.

3. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." It's not hard to tell why this is important; it was the first feature-length animation.

What can you add?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Midnight Cowboy" for being the first x-rated film to be nominated for best picture. Now it is an r-rated film.

I was too young to see this movie, but Jon Voight was born in my home city.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UGH, Midnight Cowboy is one of my recurring nightmares - HAD to watch it, and then write a paper on it for Modern Lit. Hated the movie and while I wouldnt have described it as such back then, it was tedious.

Star Wars was the first to use computer animation on a large scale

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Most movies are just movies. Some have some hidden dark meaning. And some have significance far beyond their intention, not for what's necessarily in the movie, but rather for some trend they start, some fad they start, some totally new aspect they open up, any number of things. Have you seen these? And can you add more?

1. "Roman Holiday." A fun romp with Audrey Hepburne, but another important secondary effect: It made Vespa scooters hot sellers in the U.S. Until this movie, they were not sellling well at all.

2. "A Hard Day's Night." This first Beatle film, while no great cinematic feat, was the first "music video," the precursor to MTV.

3. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." It's not hard to tell why this is important; it was the first feature-length animation.

What can you add?
"The Wizard of Oz" - first full length color film (I think)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, there was the oddity about the Wizard of Oz in that it was in color in Oz, but black and white in Kansas. A clever idea, that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And an excellent one it was, too!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Beauty and the Beast"---the first computer generated film to be nominated for best picture.

"Psycho" changed people's bathing habits.

In "It Happened One Night" Clark Gable wore a sleeve-less "muscle man" type t-shirt and the sales of t-shirts with sleeves plummeted.

Franco Zefferelli's "Romeo and Juliet" actually featured teenagers in the title roles, the first time that had been done, proving that a teenage love story is always better if you use teenagers. (and Leonard Whiting was absolutely gorgeous)