Sneezing

yuna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat's been sneezing a lot this morning and I was just wondering when should I be concerned? he had his annual vet check up just this past wednesday and he was fine then so I'm wondering if he might have picked up a little cold from the vets office? any help would be very much appreciated

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is very possible that the stress of the visit, even if he didn't seem to be stressed, has brought on an upper respiratory infection. If he continues sneezing, becomes congested, and/or starts having runny eyes, then you need to be concerned and take him back to the vet. Also, if he stops eating or has a decreased appetite, change in sleeping, playing, and/or litterbox habits, that's also cause for concern. You can try steaming him in the bathroom. Just get the bathroom nice and steamy, then take him in there and close the door and sit with him for about 10-15 mins.

For whatever it's worth, almost everytime I take Callie to the vet, almost 2 weeks later, she gets an URI. The vet knows this, so now all I have to do is call, remind him she was in 2 weeks previously, tell him she's sneezy and snotty, and he'll prescribe medicine for her.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did your kitty get the FVRCP vaccine, and if so, was it administered nasally? My vet always tells me that the intranasal vaccine can make them sneeze a few days after vaccination.

Anyway, if you're worried you can always call your vet just to get some advice/reassurance. I hope your guy feels better soon!

caitscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the color of the discharge coming from the nose? If it is clear I wouldn't be too concerned. Vets tend to get worried when the discharge is white, yellow, green or red in color. Also, if the eyes start having discharge as well (in those colors) I would call the vet. A lot of vets do not like to give medication when it is not necessary. So in a case like this, IMO, I would wait it out. If he gets the colored discharge from nose or eyes and stops eating and becomes lethargic a vets visit would be smart. But, if your kitty is otherwise healthy and over all has a good immune system, chances are he will get over this little "cold" himself.

Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yuna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

Did your kitty get the FVRCP vaccine, and if so, was it administered nasally? My vet always tells me that the intranasal vaccine can make them sneeze a few days after vaccination.

Anyway, if you're worried you can always call your vet just to get some advice/reassurance. I hope your guy feels better soon!
he did have that vaccine administered nasally... I called the vet today and asked them if that could be the cause of it and they said just to be sure to bring him in. i have another cat and I'm just worried that she could catch what he has if it wasn't caused by the vaccine