New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Harnesses

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
For those of you who take your cat outside:

What type of harness do you use? And where did you buy it?

Pics of your cat in it would be great too
post #2 of 20
We bought this in the cat section I believe it is the roman style. Jack took to it well and Ginger loved it--although she prefers her freedom much more.

I intend to try the kitten as well when she fits the harness.




Best picture I had- it adjusts at both the neck and the belly and clips at the belly.

Leslie
post #3 of 20
post #4 of 20
Mine wear Roman style dog harnesses, small for kittens/girls and medium for the boys.



Roman harnesses have the extra strap from chest-tummy
post #5 of 20
we use nylon "H-style" cat harnesses. i got one from petco and one off ebay (can't recall which seller, but there are lots you can get for $5-10). the H-style harnesses look like this, but get the ones with a plastic buckle you can quickly snap on and off.
post #6 of 20
I use Roman style harnesses as well. Easy to adjust, cheap and available pretty much anywhere.
post #7 of 20
I buy Lupine harnesses:

www.lupinepet.com


post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the info and pics

I haven't really been too happy with the harness I currently have (it's like the one Leslie posted, I think) as I find it's a pain sometimes due to it tangling as I'm putting it on.
post #9 of 20
Can you actually use small dog harnesses? I was thinking of getting two harnesses for my cats and my local pet shop only sells the ones for dogs.
It's also from Lupine

1/2" Step In Harness
A popular style of non-restrictive harness with two adjustment points and a double-D-ring to attach the lead to.

post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ta-Z View Post
Can you actually use small dog harnesses? I was thinking of getting two harnesses for my cats and my local pet shop only sells the ones for dogs.
Measure your cats before you buy. Jamie takes a medium-sized Roman dog harness ( he's 7 kg./15.4 lbs.). The dog harnesses are often sturdier than cat harnesses, and there seem to be more brands available. Definitely go for ones with clips rather than buckles unless you have especially patient cats.
post #11 of 20
mine have two, and i got them both in Germany!

Teufel loved his at the start but since he knows he goes outside unsupervised he will refuse to wear it now!
post #12 of 20
Roman style, all the way. The girls wear size small (kitten size) and the boys wear small dog size.
post #13 of 20
Every harness I've tried gives the same result--my cats lie down and refuse to move!
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelyco View Post
Every harness I've tried gives the same result--my cats lie down and refuse to move!
Cats are so melodramatic sometimes! At that point you should break out the laser pointer or their favorite toy and they wont resist walking.

My cat laid down with his harness on too but the toy trick works great, and also I just left his harness on him for a while. Eventually he had to move.


Anyways, Bean Bean uses a Roman harness as well. He walks well on it, as long as I let him go where he wants to go most of the time.
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks again.... I'm definately going to check out the roman type harnesses as I would like to harness train my babies with a harness that both the cat and I can live with.
post #16 of 20
Do you guys leave the harness on most of the time? My two wear collars all the time but at first I was always afraid to do so when they were unaccompanied.

I am asking the question as I am moving both cats to the UK within the next 6 months. I am thinking of getting them each a harness to wear during the flight so that they can be handled better at the airport/customs/immigration and vet check upon arrival. I won't be able to be around them at that time.
I heard it is safer to do all that with a leash so that they can't escape as easily....

But my worry is that they get entangled. The airlines said I can put both into one large carrier...

Any ideas?
post #17 of 20
I use a Roman style harness for Marshmallow. He adapted to it naturally, didn't try to fight it or anything. Speck and Daisy both do the crocodile death roll when I try to put harnesses on them; it's hopeless.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ta-Z View Post
Do you guys leave the harness on most of the time? My two wear collars all the time but at first I was always afraid to do so when they were unaccompanied.

I am asking the question as I am moving both cats to the UK within the next 6 months. I am thinking of getting them each a harness to wear during the flight so that they can be handled better at the airport/customs/immigration and vet check upon arrival. I won't be able to be around them at that time.
I heard it is safer to do all that with a leash so that they can't escape as easily....

But my worry is that they get entangled. The airlines said I can put both into one large carrier...

Any ideas?
Sam wears his harness all the time, we also use a roman style small dog harness.

Are you talking about keeping the leashes on them during the flight? If so since they will be in the same crate, I'd practice with that at home first. Look for the shortest leash you can and see if that works. But definitely practice, practice, practice, the more used to it they are, the better it's going to work.
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeygirl View Post
Sam wears his harness all the time, we also use a roman style small dog harness.

Are you talking about keeping the leashes on them during the flight? If so since they will be in the same crate, I'd practice with that at home first. Look for the shortest leash you can and see if that works. But definitely practice, practice, practice, the more used to it they are, the better it's going to work.
I know I need to practice even for them to wear the harness. I used one on Singa some years back and I experienced the squatting down and not moving as well as the death role. But I guess practice makes perfect... they didn't like collars at first either. As for the leashes, I will attach them to the outside of the crate so that whoever needs to can use them. Otherwise they will really get entangled in there. I am jsut worried that they get entangled with each other while wearing harnesses

But I'll check again with the shipping company. The roman style is the one I posted before, right?
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ta-Z View Post
Do you guys leave the harness on most of the time? My two wear collars all the time but at first I was always afraid to do so when they were unaccompanied.
Harnesses should not be used unattended. Collars are breakaway, so if anything happens the collars just come off - harnesses do not work the same way.

I would not leave them on during the flight, and the airline probably won't allow it either.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming