What movies can't you figure out?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried watching a few that left me wondering "what in the heck was it really about?"

Clockwork Orange - can someone explain what this movie really is about? I've tried to watch it a few times and never could.

Serpent & the Rainbow - this is one really really weird movie and I haven't totally figured it out if its real or not.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was a book first but I couldn't work out the book or the film.

Lord of the flies.

Yeah I know the theories and the underlying themes but gawwsh I just cannot figure it out in my mind.

The visitor. I watched that one yesterday, it was weird.

Yay I'm loving all these movie threads!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I've tried watching a few that left me wondering "what in the heck was it really about?"

Clockwork Orange - can someone explain what this movie really is about? I've tried to watch it a few times and never could.

Serpent & the Rainbow - this is one really really weird movie and I haven't totally figured it out if its real or not.
I like A Clockwork Orange. Its about free will. (at least to me)
The main character was a horrible disgusting person. Did he become less horrible by "reprograming" him? No, he was still the same and wanted to rape and murder, but was not able to because his free will had been taken away. The thoughts were still there. We can change a persons actions, but we can't change the person.
Thats my brief take on it, its really a very deep movie.

ETA: And Malcolm McDowell is just beyond creepy in the movie, excellent acting.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Serpent & the Rainbow. I could not figure out Phantasm, an older horror movie. A more recent movie I couldn't understand was The Departed. And in White Oleander, I never could figure out exactly how the mother killed her boyfriend. I must have missed something somewhere. I didn't find out until I read the book.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I LOVE the book "Lord of the Flies" but the movie doesn't do it justice.

I never could understand Pulp Fiction. I know the time line is all screwed up and even seeing it a second time (knowing that) I still didn't understand what the big hoopla was about.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh, I LOVE the book "Lord of the Flies" but the movie doesn't do it justice.

I never could understand Pulp Fiction. I know the time line is all screwed up and even seeing it a second time (knowing that) I still didn't understand what the big hoopla was about.
I had to watch Pulp Fiction about 3 times before I figured it out. Sort of, still not sure, kinda, but not really.
The time line going backwards (Oh, you wacky Quentin Tarantino) didn't confuse me so much as the point of the movie. Till I realized there was no point. It was random events that take up the lives of people and conect them in a bizzare way.
The green glowing briefcase was just stupid, IMO.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

I had to watch Pulp Fiction about 3 times before I figured it out. Sort of, still not sure, kinda, but not really.
The time line going backwards (Oh, you wacky Quentin Tarantino) didn't confuse me so much as the point of the movie. Till I realized there was no point. It was random events that take up the lives of people and conect them in a bizzare way.
So, the point was...there was no point? Kind of like Seinfeld's "show about nothing". Ok, maybe if I watch it again knowing that there is no real story line I could appreciate it.....?
I don't even remember the green glowing briefcase, but I do remember the cafe was pretty cool.

diggerled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"No Country for Old Men". I watched it twice on a plane going to and again returning from Korea. The first time, going, it was cut off about 20 minutes from the end. (we were landing). My friend John said I need to watch it again. Maybe more. It is a long film.

Any guidence?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Knowing. I watched it a few weeks ago and the first half was really good but the second half of it just got stupid and weird and left me confused.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

So, the point was...there was no point? Kind of like Seinfeld's "show about nothing". Ok, maybe if I watch it again knowing that there is no real story line I could appreciate it.....?
I don't even remember the green glowing briefcase, but I do remember the cafe was pretty cool.
The green glowing briefcase is what started the chain of events.

ETA; I think? i dunno.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pans Labrinth(sp) was one movie I could never really get a handle on. I got the basic story but between the subtitles and dark deary scenes it was very hard to understand.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any of the popular slasher/horror movies and the teen-twenties targeted comedies. I just do not understand these movies at all, probably due to them not having any purpose.

Ah, to have some of the money people waste on these movies.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

yep, a pointless Tarantino "ooh that would be cool" plot mechanism.

Originally Posted by diggerled

"No Country for Old Men".
I really enjoyed that movie, except its sudden ending. That really irked me, even though I knew that it ended like when I watched it.

Originally Posted by nurseangel

A more recent movie I couldn't understand was The Departed.
I enjoyed that movie very much. I don't recall it being confusing though?

One that DH and I were stunning confused about was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. OMG, what was the point of that movie?!!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Beautiful Mind threw a lot of people off.
I admit it had me for a minute. That scene of him getting the insulin shock, just hard to watch.
One of the ending ending scenes with the pens oh I cried like a baby!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "Matrix" for me. I never saw it in it's entirety, maybe because it didn't seem worth my effort.

"2001 - A Space Odyssey" I was way too young to understand it when I saw it and haven't watched it since.

"Atonement" - now there is one that I understood but I couldn't understand why other persons liked it so much. DH and I hated it. And it was one of the few movies we went to see in the theater!