Possible infection?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I was putting pork onto bamboo skewers and I skewered my thumb. For some reason, I am really worried about infection from the raw pork on the skewer even though I washed very well with antibacterial soap. Am I worried for nothing?

I know that medical advice on the forum is not really advised, but it is not yet infected, and I am just wondering if there is a pretty good chance if it will get infected.

BTW, I took butterflied pork loin and covered it in a paste of freshly roasted garlic and fresh herbs from my garden before cutting it into 1" strips and and rolling it then making it into kebabs. It grilled up nicely.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

BTW, I took butterflied pork loin and covered it in a paste of freshly roasted garlic and fresh herbs from my garden before cutting it into 1" strips and and rolling it then making it into kebabs. It grilled up nicely.
oh my gosh

As for the infection, I wouldnt think it would be an issue if you washed up good. I imagine chefs slice themselves all the time when working with meat. You could rinse it with a peroxide/water mixture and put antibiotic ointment on it.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How deep is the puncture? If it's not too deep and you washed it out with anti-bacterial soap you should be fine. If it's to the bone, I would go to the ER just to be safe. I would still call your doctor tomorrow (or monday if that's the soonest) and ask his opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't to the bone, but it was deep enough to bleed a lot when I pulled the skewer out. The raw pork thing kinda freaked me out though.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've cut myself many times cutting and trimming meat (pork, steak, chicken, etc) and I'm still alive but, like you, I always cleaned out the wound. I think you should be fine but you probably call the ER and just check with them to be sure.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

It isn't to the bone, but it was deep enough to bleed a lot when I pulled the skewer out. The raw pork thing kinda freaked me out though.
I'm pretty sure that the raw pork thing, trichinosis, is in cysts in the meat that have to be ingested to be dangerous. Also, I don't think these days pork in the US is likely to have those cysts anyway. Still, puncture wounds can be scary, so make sure to monitor it for swelling or redness.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

If it bled alot you have no worries at all.
I second that- bleeding is one of the bodies' ways of preventing infection and cleansing a wound. Keep an eye on it and watch for swelling, discharge, color change, and temp. If it gets really warm but you can't see anything, then it can still be infected. I'm sure you'll be fine though. You washed it really well, so I don't think you'll be losing a finger over this

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

If it bled alot you have no worries at all.
Yep! When you cut yourself the first thought is usually to staunch the bleeding. But that is wrong. You need to encourage some bleeding in order to help push out whatever contaminants were introduced.

Washing with antibacterial soap and applying an antibiotic cream and a clean bandage also helps.

Just monitor for signs of infection: redness and swelling around the wound, foul smelling discharge that is yellowish or greenish in nature, and a fever.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep like everyone already said bleeding is your body's natural defense against infection when you break the skin.

Just be sure to keep antibiotic cream on it and to clean it daily and make sure it's covered for the first few days until it starts to heal, and then you need to let air get to it to promote quicker healing.

I am assuming you know the signs and dangers of an infection so make sure if it starts to ooze pus, get very red or hot or if red streaks start appearing on your skin that you go to the doctors to get some antibiotics.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

I am assuming you know the signs and dangers of an infection so make sure if it starts to ooze pus, get very red or hot or if red streaks start appearing on your skin that you go to the doctors to get some antibiotics.
she said all...

take care my friend!...

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was actually just in the ER yesterday for an infection. Don't freak out though, I'm on meds that unfortunately suppress my immune system, that's the ONLY reason I ended up in the ER from what would have otherwise been nothing.

You're not on any steroids or other meds that suppress your immune system right? If not, I would think you'll be fine.

Also, I have too skewered myself cooking. For me, it was a burger patty, and I skewered my pinky. It went all the way through and out the other side.

Looked bad, but didn't need medical attention. At the time, I was NOT on immuno suppressing medications. Lots of blood for about 30 minutes, but no infection. I just cleaned it and used Neosporin.

If your immune system is not compromised, I would just put neosporin on it and watch it. If it gets particularly tender, have somebody look at it. If you see pus, ditto. Basically anything that hints at infection. Otherwise, relax.

Oh yeah, and if by chance your thumb falls off - we were all wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

How is today your finger my friend?....
Sore with a little redness. I don't think that fingers are meant to have skewers poked into them
I think that I will live though

Thank you for asking