Petstore cruelty-how sad. :(

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Until recently,I bought a lot of my pet supplies from stores that sell animals. None of them treat their animals terribly, so I didn't see the problem. Recently though my friend showed me this website: petstorecruelty.com. It turns out that all pet store animals come from places where they are kept in similar condition to puppy/kitten mills. I've now started shopping at my local holistic petstore. It's more expensive but imo it's worth not supporting this.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fattykitty

Until recently,I bought a lot of my pet supplies from stores that sell animals. None of them treat their animals terribly, so I didn't see the problem. Recently though my friend showed me this website: petstorecruelty.com. It turns out that all pet store animals come from places where they are kept in similar condition to puppy/kitten mills. I've now started shopping at my local holistic petstore. It's more expensive but imo it's worth not supporting this.
We here at TCS have been preaching this sermon for many years now. However, I would have to disagree with your comments in your signature. Responsible breeders are what keep particular breeds alive and good breeders ensure their animals are healthy and the blood lines/gene pools are good so there is a need for them to breed their cats

Also, even if you get an animal from a shelter you still have to pay for it. That's another thing we preach - never offer free kittens to anyone. Often people who get free kittens get them as bait for dog fighting and other nasty reasons. If they have to pay they won't get them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

We here at TCS have been preaching this sermon for many years now. However, I would have to disagree with your comments in your signature. Responsible breeders are what keep particular breeds alive and good breeders ensure their animals are healthy and the blood lines/gene pools are good so there is a need for them to breed their cats

Also, even if you get an animal from a shelter you still have to pay for it. That's another thing we preach - never offer free kittens to anyone. Often people who get free kittens get them as bait for dog fighting and other nasty reasons. If they have to pay they won't get them.
That's your opinion, but what does that have to do with this post? If you'd like to debate it you can do it in another place, but this is a thread about pet store cruelty, not breeding.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's your opinion, but what does that have to do with this post? If you'd like to debate it you can do it in another place, but this is a thread about pet store cruelty, not breeding.
No doubt Pet Stores purchase from puppy mills AND backyard breeders. They buy puppies for cheap and sell them for hundreds to thousands of dollars. You are right, don't buy from pet stores that sell live animals. It isn't just cats and dogs. The rats and reptiles some popular chains sell come from the same situation

However people shouldn't be stupid enough to buy from pet stores either. Anything that guarantees health for only 14 days is a joke. Real breeders usually guarantee their dogs health, not just for two weeks but sometimes years. They also vaccinate their puppies, sell their puppies healthy, and usually have health testing done to help eliminate future problems. It isn't just the pet stores, it's people not researching where they get their dogs from.

caitsith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My local Pets At Home had the RSPCA in there recently, they got closed down for a while last year. I wont be going there anymore.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i went into a petstore near where i live the other day, many of the pet stores around here have kittens from the shelters for adoption. At this store I found little himi/siamese cross and of course fell in love with their little faces. On top of the cage though, there was a sign stating that these kittens were bred right there in the store by the two store cats. I was so appauled that they would let their cats breed and then try and cell the kittens that i told the lady she should spay/neuter them because she is just adding to the overpopulation problem, and that i would never purchase anything there.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - almost all pet stores get their stock from puppy/kitten mills, brokers, or backyard breeders - none of which are good places to be getting any pet. I'm surprised you did not know this. Willing to bet their dogs were "CKC" or "APRI" registered - both are puppy mill fake/worthless registries.

I was in one pet shop locally (didn't buy anything as their dogs are CKC) and there was a pup that supposedly was an Italian Greyhound. I had hubby come and look at it.

Then outside he asked me "what was that dog supposed to be?"....I told him when we get home I'll show him what a real IG is - he could not believe it. I've never seen a worse IG in my life! And the pet shop was selling this poor dog for over $500 !

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fattykitty

You have a statement in your signature - Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die - that is what I was referring to and noted clearly that was what I was referring to.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like PetSmart because they have shelter cats and dogs there. Not puppies and kittens from mills or back yard breeders.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I agree - almost all pet stores get their stock from puppy/kitten mills, brokers, or backyard breeders - none of which are good places to be getting any pet. I'm surprised you did not know this. Willing to bet their dogs were "CKC" or "APRI" registered - both are puppy mill fake/worthless registries.

I was in one pet shop locally (didn't buy anything as their dogs are CKC) and there was a pup that supposedly was an Italian Greyhound. I had hubby come and look at it.

Then outside he asked me "what was that dog supposed to be?"....I told him when we get home I'll show him what a real IG is - he could not believe it. I've never seen a worse IG in my life! And the pet shop was selling this poor dog for over $500 !
Golden Kitty, your statement, "I'm supprised you did not know this" is harsh. Many, many people do not know what happens in a pet store situation. It is up to us to educate them without placing blame. We are the voice that makes the difference to these animals, don't put those at a distance who have not yet learned.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I assumed you had been on here for awhile. I didn't think I was being harsh in my statment about being surprised.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sorry, I assumed you had been on here for awhile. I didn't think I was being harsh in my statment about being surprised.
I have been here a while. I Don't want anyone to be shut out because they may get yelled at, those doing the best they can.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

I have been here a while. I Don't want anyone to be shut out because they may get yelled at, those doing the best they can.
With all due respect, nobody was getting "yelled at". Shall we get back to the original topic please?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't shop at pet stores that sell kittens or puppies, and I'm iffy on pet stores selling rabbits and ferrets, too. But unfortunately it would be pretty hard to stop shopping at PetCo and/or Petsmart......I figure that at least they're helping shelter cats and dogs.

NO good breeder would EVER sell their babies to a pet store, where any yahoo with cash in hand can take them home. Good breeders screen potential buyers carefully, to make sure their babies go to excellent homes.

scoobydoo2345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i actually read about this in my local newspaper...and i dont live very far from akron, ohio...it made me sick. someone should do that to her. and shes only in her 20s. i was actually shocked when my local pet store started to sell puppies. after a while they quit selling them.

even thought im totally against the whole breeding thing...but it does make sense to breed otherwise all breeds of dogs will die out. same goes for cats. id hate repeat what everyone else is saying but responsible breeders do make their dogs comfortable as family members, and when the puppies arrive you'll know that they are getting good care and socialization.

breeders do screenings, and shots. and they'll make you sign a contract saying you'll have it fixed. and sometimes keep the registration papers until you show proof of the fixing. generally backyard breeders, will say that the adults are champions and sell them dirt cheap.

most likely its accident. true breeders will sell the animals at the same price, never different prices. sometimes if its different prices..somethings up. and champions never ever go on sale...then there is something wrong. since im taking vet assistant..i just got done with the subject on breeding both cats and dogs.