D.Earth question

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I went to pick D Earth at a seed store that used to sell straight D. Earth food grade. Well they quit selling it and I had to look else where. I did find some and bought it at another seed/feed store but this one is a little different I think. Its says it organic and safe for inside outside use. Says its completely non-toxic. This is what it says for flea control:

Throughly treat floor and bedding in and around pets' sleeping quarters. Treat surrounding cracks and crevices, baseboards and carpeting.Treat pets directly with a product directly registered for use to control fleas.
Ok if I am treating the floors and bedding some with end up on the cats. So is it safe to give a light dusting on them? I will call the company and ask what will happen if a bit is ingested.

This is the ingredient list:
D. Earth....85%
other elemental oxides....10%
Inert ingredients....5%

Opinions and thoughts?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now, mices arent always entirely clean and freshly washed. So ingesting some little earth cant be harmfull. This is also declared as harmless.

But this is neither declared as food grade nor human grade. Thus - it isnt.

So as long you use it on the outside on the floor etc, it is surely OK. But I wouldnt give it to them to eat. Nor into cats fur, as they would slick it in.

this is what I think...

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd have to agree with Stef. Mine has an attractant in it (doesn't list the ingredients) but that is also food-grade so I feel safe using it on the pets. Plus it's 97% Silicon dioxide.

Diatomaceous earth is made up of 86% silica (silicon dioxide), 5% sodium, 3% magnesium and 2% iron. So I wonder if the 'other elemental oxides' is just labelling confusion or if there is something else in your powder. I'd check with the company because it's possible you have 85% Silicon dioxide & 10% other minerals (found in diatomaceous earth) which would mean you have pure dio earth.

However, mine also says right on the label that it will not harm fish. Fish are VERY sensitive creatures & I feel safe consuming it myself if it's not going to harm fish.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have both the food and commercial grade DE. I would not put the commercial grade DE in your cat fur or around their beds.

I went and checked my bag of DE and says not to be digested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got home and I am fixing to call them. The thing is it says its ok for household use and I can put it on the cats bed. So I am just trying to see if I put it down and they lick themselves if they will be sick or not. I left a message lets see if they call today.

Under first aid it does not say what to do if swallowed. Just if you get it in your eyes because of drying.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Now, mices arent always entirely clean and freshly washed. So ingesting some little earth cant be harmfull. This is also declared as harmless.

But this is neither declared as food grade nor human grade. Thus - it isnt.

So as long you use it on the outside on the floor etc, it is surely OK. But I wouldnt give it to them to eat. Nor into cats fur, as they would slick it in.

this is what I think...
Stefan, DE is not "earth" - it is ground diatoms which are microscopic sea creatures. I would second the opinion to contact the manufacturer, but it does sound as though you have the human/food grade one which is safe for ingestion.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I Ok they just called mt back. It kinda sound like a CYA lecture but this is the gest of the conversation. They do not recommend or encourage feeding it in food, but if I dust the floors or pet beds and they ingest it like that they are ok. Err go I think I am safe if I A) Dust every inch of the house and/or B) give them a light dusting.

Right now I am working on dusting every inch of the house right now.

ETA: By the way when I say outdoor use I might in the garden and the yard, not in pools and what not. I knew perfectly that pool grade was no ok.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also use Borax, found in the laundry detergent aisle, inside for flea control.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

You can also use Borax, found in the laundry detergent aisle, inside for flea control.
Borax will work but isn't as safe for your kittens as DE.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For personal reasons Borax is not used in my home.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

But NOT where the kitties can get into it!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Stefan, DE is not "earth" - it is ground diatoms which are microscopic sea creatures.
Right. I tried to make a small comparison to earth-earth dirt.
Comparing a non food grade DE with earth-dirt.
I was perhaps a little unclear.

Thus, if cats do manage some earth-dirt, so occasionally licking in some non food grade DE from floor or bed cant hardly be harmful.

This non food grade DE is surely better than earth-dirt. Earth dirt is full of bacteria, fungus and tiny worms.

But for having into fur or ingestion it shall be food / human grade.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I have is not the type graded for pools. I dusted him yesterday and he is perfectly fine.