Unplanned foster

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That horrible animal control I have been complaining about on here determined that a respiratory infection was "sweeping through the shelter." The end result.. two kittens and at least four adults -- possibly more -- were PTS. The director there doesn't believe in quarantine and treat... she'd rather whip out the ole needle.

One of the local rescues managed to get two cats - a lynx point and a Himmie pulled from the infamous "back room" and saved them.

My friend Jennifer went up and paid for a big brown tabby named Casper... b/c he was paid for... and I guess didn't present with any "symptoms", they let her do this. I took him in.. and he is in quarantine right now in the half-bath off of the kitchen. He was terrified and really shut down at AC. He is still terrified, but trusted me enough to let me comb him and give him pets and scritches. He rewarded me with purring, kneading and a few tentative kisses.

However - he is not eating much. I managed to get him to eat about tablespoon of wet mixed with tuna juice off my fingers.

How long before I should really start to worry??? He ate a tiny bit of kibble the first night. And used the litter box.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When we first brought 'Bastian home he was also terrified and didn't eat much of anything. It took about 3 days to really see his appetite show up. Now he know exactly when feeding time is and greets us with trills and figure 8's. Give your new man a couple of days before you really start to worry.

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree; don't worry just yet. Cats are very quick to clue in on stressful situations and if you think he doesn't know what he's just escaped from, you're wrong. Lots of big changes in a short time span for this baby; give him time.

Bless your heart for helping him.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You do need to ensure he eats every 12 hours, as fatty liver disease can set in easily.

Sometimes if I can't get a cat to eat, I try Meow Mix wet food. Stinky, but decent food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

You do need to ensure he eats every 12 hours, as fatty liver disease can set in easily.

Sometimes if I can't get a cat to eat, I try Meow Mix wet food. Stinky, but decent food.
That's what I was concerned about. That's why I was hand feeding him. I think I will get some kitten food or plain stage two baby food - just in case I come in and he hasn't eaten anything.

These guys are in my condo... and I dont reside there anymore.