How long on antibiotics before.....

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they aren't contagious anymore?

Noname and Kitchi both have URI ( Kitchi caught it from NN ) and have now had 2 doses of antibiotics ( prior, NN had the convenia shot and was still showing signs of infection ). A swab of NN's nasal mucous showed something (I forget what my vet said) which warranted the new antibiotics.

I would like to let the kittens out of their room, but don't want to risk Kizzy catching what they have.

Any thoughts?

( Kizzy and Kitchi are fully vaccinated, NN has had 2 sets of shots )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitties seem to be doing better, but still have runny noses

My antibiotic question is based on the fact that the kittens are "quarentined" and I want to let them out to explore the rest of the house
but I don't want to risk Kizzy getting sick either.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chris, when I fostered Autumn who had a URI, I kept her separate from Tofu until all her symptoms went away. I was told that as long as the eyes and nose were runny, it could be contagious if she sneezed, etc. Another vet told me that URIs are airborne, so Tofu would have been exposed already. As a precaution, I just kept them separate until the URI resolved itself.

I can't specifically answer your antibiotic and duration of time question, but just thought I'd throw this in here.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I swear I responded to this yesterday!

If the vet didn't run a blood test and you don't know if it is viral or bacterial based, can't answer the question. Antibiotics will prevent a viral infection to turn into a bacterial one, and also obviously treat the bacterial ones. My rule of thumb when I do instill an quarantine, is that I release them when they stop doing things that will obviously shed the virus - e.g. quit sneezing, coughing, etc. But I've only instilled a quarantine when I have sick adult cats that I want to keep away from kittens. I rarely do it in reverse if the adult cats are in good health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatGoddess

Chris, when I fostered Autumn who had a URI, I kept her separate from Tofu until all her symptoms went away. I was told that as long as the eyes and nose were runny, it could be contagious if she sneezed, etc. Another vet told me that URIs are airborne, so Tofu would have been exposed already. As a precaution, I just kept them separate until the URI resolved itself.

I can't specifically answer your antibiotic and duration of time question, but just thought I'd throw this in here.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Momofmany

I swear I responded to this yesterday!

If the vet didn't run a blood test and you don't know if it is viral or bacterial based, can't answer the question. Antibiotics will prevent a viral infection to turn into a bacterial one, and also obviously treat the bacterial ones. My rule of thumb when I do instill an quarantine, is that I release them when they stop doing things that will obviously shed the virus - e.g. quit sneezing, coughing, etc. But I've only instilled a quarantine when I have sick adult cats that I want to keep away from kittens. I rarely do it in reverse if the adult cats are in good health.
No bloodtest re: the URI but she did do a nasal swab.... which is why the antibiotics. (something about bacteria, white blood cells, in the swab... I don't remember exactly)

The reason for my questioning of course is Kizzy.... He hasn't been in contact with Noname, except through under the door. And I'd like to let the kittens out of their room so they can have the roam of the house soon, but don't want to jeopardise Kizzy's health.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

The reason for my questioning of course is Kizzy.... He hasn't been in contact with Noname, except through under the door. And I'd like to let the kittens out of their room so they can have the roam of the house soon, but don't want to jeopardise Kizzy's health.
Completely understand. Wait until they aren't sneezing/coughing and their goopy eyes clear up. Put another way - don't let them pass their mucous.