How do you get a cat out from under the bed

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tried to post something but I think I lost it (due to not being used to this laptop yet, so sorry if it turns out to be a double post.

I need to put neosporin on a scratch or cut on Cindy's nose. However, I can't get her out from under the bed. She currently goes under there when I get up in the morning and also the minute I walk in the door at night. She comes out during the day when just DH is home, but he can't/won't try to do it himself because it's so close to her eye he's worried if someone isn't holding her still it will get in her eye. If I can't get this stuff on her, it will be a return trip to the vet (and short of dismantling the bed, I'm not sure how I could even get her out for that).

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

I should mention, she's not one that I can entice with food or treats.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our kitties seem to know right where to go when they do not want to be caught....
under the bed.

All I can do if wish you good luck.

Not very helpful.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she doesnt come out voluntary, you can try involuntary. Stick in a broom or something, behind her, and pull - slowly and carefully - on the behind.
I guess she will come out, and no harm done either.

I saw once the advice, in such cases it may be best - and easiest - to keep them in a cage, say a big dog cage.
This way, you dont need to chase them every time they need their medicines. and as you are taking them out for awile, the medicines becomes something nice.

good luck!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Can you try offering her a smelly treat?
I've coaxed Cotton out from under the bed with a bit of yoghurt before...
Good luck.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol I solved that problem by ensuring that there was nothing the cats could get under - I have a bed (and later will have a platform bed) that rests on the ground.

When I need to move Cally around though, who freezes when she's scared, I take a long pole and just use it to push her along where she needs to go. Not hard or anything, of cousre, but its usually enough to guide her along where she needs to be. So doing that, or a broom or something like that, might work for you.

There's no way to just keep her out of the room that the bed is in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

Would she come out if you tied a toy to a string (or just a string) and slowly pulled it towards you? For some cats that's hard to ignore.
Nope. She won't come out for anything if she figures I'm going to "do something" to her. She's not tempted by treats or toys or anything else I could think of. I've tried gently poking her on the behind, but she just moves to a place where I can't reach her.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

lol I solved that problem by ensuring that there was nothing the cats could get under - I have a bed (and later will have a platform bed) that rests on the ground.

When I need to move Cally around though, who freezes when she's scared, I take a long pole and just use it to push her along where she needs to go. Not hard or anything, of cousre, but its usually enough to guide her along where she needs to be. So doing that, or a broom or something like that, might work for you.

There's no way to just keep her out of the room that the bed is in?
We're trying to figure out a way to block off underneath the bed, but haven't come up with any good solutions yet. Any ideas?

Yes, when we're taking her to the vet, we close off all the rooms, but I have the little box in the bedroom so I don't want to do that permanently.

I think I'm just being a little too considerate of her delicate sensibilities.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh ho! She just came downstairs. Now I just have to wait for DH to get out of the shower and I'll see if I can nap the little princess.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Oh ho! She just came downstairs. Now I just have to wait for DH to get out of the shower and I'll see if I can nap the little princess.
Woo, good luck!

Hmm, maybe big pillows? Like the body pillow kind? That way there would be fewer seams for her to get in through...then you could also take them up whenever she doesn't need to be kept out from under the bed.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she not like wet food at all? Not even smelly fish flavors?

When I have to give medicines I always do it right before a wet food meal. Every cat has always been too focused on the smelly wet food in the bowl. Even when they learn the routine most still put up with it knowing what they'll get.

With ointments I've had good luck going from behind the cat's face and being as quick as possible, then shoving food in front of them before they realized what happened.

As for blocking the bed off - that depends on the height of the bed frame. If you can find boxes that would fit tightly or within just an inch from the bottom of the bed that may work.

jknyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you ever considered lining the floor under your bed with some foil? Not the entire floor either, but just 2 roll lengths at each entrance under the bed. (Hope that description makes sense.)

It doesn't have to be forever, just temporarily until your cat's nose is better. I know that cats don't like that crinkling feeling under their feet and have read some other sites that suggested using foils to deter cats from jumping onto countertops and etc.

I know my suggestion will not be very aesthetically pleasing but I'm pretty sure it could work. Hope your cats nose gets better!

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my experience, once they actually get under the bed, the only thing to do is move the bed.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jknyc

Have you ever considered lining the floor under your bed with some foil? Not the entire floor either, but just 2 roll lengths at each entrance under the bed. (Hope that description makes sense.)

It doesn't have to be forever, just temporarily until your cat's nose is better. I know that cats don't like that crinkling feeling under their feet and have read some other sites that suggested using foils to deter cats from jumping onto countertops and etc.

I know my suggestion will not be very aesthetically pleasing but I'm pretty sure it could work. Hope your cats nose gets better!
That's not a bad idea, I think I might try that. We have been thinking about just putting a lot of stuff under the bed, but I like the idea of foil better. Thanks!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Does she not like wet food at all? Not even smelly fish flavors?

When I have to give medicines I always do it right before a wet food meal. Every cat has always been too focused on the smelly wet food in the bowl. Even when they learn the routine most still put up with it knowing what they'll get.

With ointments I've had good luck going from behind the cat's face and being as quick as possible, then shoving food in front of them before they realized what happened.

As for blocking the bed off - that depends on the height of the bed frame. If you can find boxes that would fit tightly or within just an inch from the bottom of the bed that may work.
She likes wet food, sometimes, but she's just not that food oriented like my little fat boy Swanie. In fact, tonight I shoved a bowl of her favorite fancy feast under the bed near her and she didn't even touch it. She is out now, so I'm going to give her another half hour, then try picking her up. I don't want to do it quickly because it's close to her eye and I don't want to miss and get it in her eye. I think it is getting better though, so that's good. I'm sure she won't talk to me for a year once this is done

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

Woo, good luck!

Hmm, maybe big pillows? Like the body pillow kind? That way there would be fewer seams for her to get in through...then you could also take them up whenever she doesn't need to be kept out from under the bed.
Oh yeah, I forgot about pillows. I have some pillows stuffed in the backs of the chairs where she was hiding one time, I totally forgot they were there. I'd have to get a ton of them though, it's a queen size bed.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Oh yeah, I forgot about pillows. I have some pillows stuffed in the backs of the chairs where she was hiding one time, I totally forgot they were there. I'd have to get a ton of them though, it's a queen size bed.
I would be willing to bet that if you put pillows under your bed, your sweetie pie will find a way to make a comfortable cave with them.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I would be willing to bet that if you put pillows under your bed, your sweetie pie will find a way to make a comfortable cave with them.
I definitely think you're right about that one

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my cat used to hang out under the bed, I would put those under bed storage things under there. I'd put them just out of the reach of my feet so I wouldn't kill my toes, then line them down both sides and along the foot of the bed. Worked very well most of the time.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We keep bedroom doors closed here most of the time. If Gigi does get under the bed, I can get her out with any toy or swishy movement. How about if you get a laser light (if you don't have one already); if it is something new to her it might entice her. My cat AND dogs go crazy over the laser light. Just for future reference; I know you got her out already