Do you still have a home phone?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was finally disconnected yesterday. Everybody else that I knew had long ago got rid of their home phones as being as useless as lighthouses. My BILs and SILs kept asking me "you both have your own private cellphones, you don't use the housephone anymore as a dialup for your computer, so why do you insist on paying for something that has no use?" They finally convinced me. I was the last to go.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes i have a landline still. The thing is not everyone gets free calls on their cell phones. I have friends who don't have a monthly contract and just use their cell phones for texts or a quick 2 minute call so they just top their phones up as they need it, so if they ring another cell phone it uses up all their money.

I have an excellent deal with my home phone company, because for £15 per month all my calls are free 24/7, and that includes international calls

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also have a landline but I have a good deal from my cable company, If I get the 3 package deal (internet, phone and cable) it comes out much cheaper for me.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I have a landline..... We have DSL, and honestly I don't use my cell phone much.... I have free LD on my landline, and get free internet (both job perks from hubby). We also have a VOIP phone that we hardly use (unless my DD is on the normal phone
typical teen).

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use my landline all the time. I rarely use my cell. I have 3 way calling, and unlimited long distance on my landline, so I call my parents, and my sister in San Diego, and all of us talk. I doubt I'll get rid of it any time soon, just because of that feature.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We've got a package deal from our cable company, and pay a lot less for DSL and our landline than we used to. National calls and text messages are unlimited, and international calls to landlines or cells phones are very cheap. We have prepaid cell phones that we barely use as a result.

lync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Believe it or not, I don't own a cell. I have DSL so need the land line for that reason. I think I would get a prepaid cell phone card if I needed one.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had a landline phone since I live in the residence halls in college: Spring of 2003. When I got my first apartment (my student loans paid for it, since I was still in college), I couldn't afford a landline phone, and my parents paid for my cell phone. Never got one after that either.

DH and I both have cell phones now, and have cable TV and Internet. That's all we need.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a landline thru my cable company. My cell has a very low amount of minutes and I don't get very good reception in my house (tin can). But I have been thinking about it lately and I'm really never on the phone, the only people that call me are telemarketers
and family. I could cut the landline and up my cell minutes and still end up saving about $20 a month
but that would mean I'd have to get in the habit of having my cell phone on me all the time, right now I tend to leave it in my car

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Yes i have a landline still. The thing is not everyone gets free calls on their cell phones. I have friends who don't have a monthly contract and just use their cell phones for texts or a quick 2 minute call so they just top their phones up as they need it, so if they ring another cell phone it uses up all their money.

I have an excellent deal with my home phone company, because for £15 per month all my calls are free 24/7, and that includes international calls
That's me. I use my landline more than my cell.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cable landline (very inexpensive ) and a cell phone that I keep for emergencies. My family and friends around the world have cells with tons of minutes so when we need to talk, they call me.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to got IT because that´s the way the unique form to the Internet came to home....
...I mean I wait for dzillions of years the CO of Cable came for home, and never do it....
I got my cell phone & DW too, both use more the cell phone than the landline, but when we are at home, we try to use it at most!....

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We still have a landline, although it's paid for by our landlord anyway. We'd probably have on regardless. Both of us have prepaid cell phones, so our cell phone cost is fairly low each month.

I doubt I'd switch over entirely until 1) cell phone plans weren't so expensive, and they got rid of the silly "system acess fee" and 2) long distance became more inclusive/affordable. When I look at cell phone plans, rates are often good, especially at the ones that no longer require a system access fee. However, when you add in long distance (the BF's family and work are both long distance, as well as many of my friends), the price can really go up. I think the US has some more progressive plans than we do here in Canada so far, although we are improving.

I'm also not very good at keeping my cell phone charged and on me. It would require a significant lifestyle change on my part.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have my land line because I have DSL but rarely use it. In fact, the ringer is off, so if someone calls, they won't get through. The only time I call on it is when I am calling the radio station for a contest or ordering take out to be delivered.

We both have cell phones on the same contract and therefore the calls to each other are free. The only other people we call on them is DH's parents as we have free long distance. We also have rollover minutes and have a couple thousand of those. LOL, what is funny is, the commercial states that the minutes do not expire, but they actually do! They expire after 1 year. I have so many that I have a few expire almost every month.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We most definitely have a home phone and that is the one that is mostly used. Using the cell phone for all calls would be far too expensive for us. Our landline is very inexpensive in comparison. We do have cell phones but have the cheapest package as we only use them for emergency use or to keep in touch should we be travelling.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have a home phone. I am considering getting one though because my husband likes to leave his blackberry in the case when he is at home and that makes it not ring so then he doesn't hear it.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will never give up my land line phone. You never know when cell towers will have problems, I don't trust cell phones to be my only phone. I will keep my land line forever.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good point, I forgot to bring this up in my post below. I hardly ever use my cell and only turn it on when I leave the house in case I get in an accident and need to call for help. Also in case family members need to get to me immediately and I'm out of the house. So my cell phone is barely used. I use my mobile land line all of the time at home.