Question of the Day: Thurs. Aug 6

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This one pertains to reptiles

(honestly, are you surprised this has come up with me as a QOTD asker?)

- Do you or have you or would you want to: own any reptiles?
- Are there any reptiles you see in the wild on a day to day basis? (I know some folks are privledged enough to live in areas where certain lizards or snakes can be seen basking in their natural habitat)

Pics are a bonus..... and I will happily give a gift to anyone who posts a pic
(or if you don't want a gift, I'll donate 200 points to ya, post your preference)

So cmon people, post those answers, and pics if you got em.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have loads of snakes.
and 1 bearded dragon. (RIP Meka, the dragon who started it all, passed on last month).

I have had in the past, a breeding colony of beardies, and several colonies of leopard geckos which I gave up to focus on my cornsnake genetical exploration.

In the wild, we do have garter snakes and the western hognose snake.... Believe it or not but in my 32yrs of life, I have NEVER seen anything in the wild. The most I've seen is toads and frogs, a salamander once, and a couple snapping turtles.

Toad at my house

Kiyomi and Meka (RIP)...Kiyomi is on the left.

Karma, the cornsnake that started my journey into snakes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...a/karmsize.jpg (that's Karma with a size reference..... She's a touch bigger now, and on the "high" end of the average size for a fullgrown corn)

Promise: another of my first snakes.

and I'll leave the pics at that, since I have just a tad more than the average owner.

Reptiles I'd love to have: chameleons (too much work for me), turtles (I don't have the proper space for them) and a blue tongued skink.

I would love to go vacationing somewhere that you could look outside and see lizards or snakes in their natural habitat.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, no photos.
I love reptiles, I simply have no room here.

I used to keep cornsnakes, a grey rat snake, ball pythons, a russian tortoise, Jackson's chameleons, a Knight Anole, Tokay Geckos, house geckos, Bahaman and green Anoles, and iguanas.

The iguanas and tortoise were rescues.

My pride was my terrarium.
50gal long tank with both land and pond with house geckos, Bahaman and green anoles and tree frogs and mosquito fish.
Live plants, very densely planted.

It was fully self sustained and needed minimal care (cleaning, filter changes).
When I misted every evening I got a beautiful chorus of barks and peeps from my frogs and geckoes.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

My pride was my terrarium.
50gal long tank with both land and pond with house geckos, Bahaman and green anoles and tree frogs and mosquito fish.
Live plants, very densely planted.

It was fully self sustained and needed minimal care (cleaning, filter changes).
When I misted every evening I got a beautiful chorus of barks and peeps from my frogs and geckoes.
Sounds amazing.

I love natural tanks
There's a lady in town that has a very natural tank with breeding green anoles in it.... amazing. (I've seen it when she boards them at the local pet store)

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I prefer my reptiles in the wild or zoos. Not much into picking them up and getting close. I'm rural enough that I have seen snakes (usually garter), turtles, frogs, and just the other day a small lizard on my deck.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Arlyn, that terrarium sounds amazing!

I regularly see garter snakes on the forest trails, and this year has seen and explosion in the population of little green frogs. They're a walking hazard as they crowd the trails looking for sunshine!
There are usually turtles in the various ponds too. I was lucky enough to see a huge snapping turtle laying eggs on someone's lawn a while ago. She was cool! Looked like a dinosaur.
I wouldn't mind keeping a reptile or two, but I don't think my cats would ever rest until they destoyed it.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I wouldn't mind having an iguana!
Hey Man!...
I think goes with your personality!...
are thinking so seriously about my friend?...

Back at the question...

I got I turtle!..

It should to take a bath for being clean!..

looking up from up!..

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat
awesome Rigel

You are in an area that I would think you would see lizards outside....do you?

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

awesome Rigel

You are in an area that I would think you would see lizards outside....do you?
absolutely, even they are my "feral" pets...
I never can catch some of they...

Ok...
let me see if I can take a couple of shoot of they!..

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

absolutely, even they are my "feral" pets...
I never can catch some of they...

Ok...
let me see if I can take a couple of shoot of they!..
Please? I would love to see

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a reptile as a pet unless you count the garter snakes I would catch as a kid then let go after a couple of days.

As for wild reptiles around my home there are very few. Maybe a snake once in awhile, or frogs and toads down by the water. I have a bridge about 1/4 mile from my home and a huge snapping turtle lives under it and you often see him sunning himself along the shoreline..I have to admit he's a very scary looking critter.

Where I lived as a child we use to often see salamanders in the wooded areas you would often find them hiding under wood when you were piling it in the fall.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turtles are cool, we have a lot of them around here crossing the roads. It is not unusual to see people getting out of their cars, including myself, and moving them to safety.
I have a frog that lives around my front porch. The cats ignore it, but it seems curious about them. I have seen it lying under the same bush as Scooter several times. There is also a tiny green tree frog that attaches itself to my window sometimes.
That is about the extent that I want anything much to do with reptiles. Snakes give me the willies, as do most lizards and frogs. I opened the door to get out of my cab several days ago, and a snake stood up and hissed at me. It scared me half to death.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am terrified of snakes. After going to high school science room and talking to the teacher, I would like to get a bearded dragon. He showed my a lot of different reptiles.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey Man!...
I think goes with your personality!...
are thinking so seriously about my friend?...

Back at the question...

I got I turtle!..

It should to take a bath for being clean!..

looking up from up!..
Rigel, you are such a good person for caring for a turtle! It just so happens that last night I saw the great movie "Night of the Iguana" and I casually mentioned to DW "I wonder how the cats would get along with an iguana." It is so ironic that the very next morning this was the question of the day! Yeah, an iguana would be cool.

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't own any reptiles and some scare me. I think the turtles, dragons and iguanas are cool looking though. Not a fan of snakes, frogs/toads or other weird looking lizards (no offense to those who enjoy these kinds of reptiles).
In fact, a few days ago I was running and saw a cornsnake on the side of the road (not sure if it was dead or alive) and it gave me the heebie jeebies.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Rigel, you are such a good person for caring for a turtle! It just so happens that last night I saw the great movie "Night of the Iguana" and I casually mentioned to DW "I wonder how the cats would get along with an iguana." It is so ironic that the very next morning this was the question of the day! Yeah, an iguana would be cool.
The Ironies of the life dear Fella!...

Hey, man thanks a lot for your nice compliments!..

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I am terrified of snakes. After going to high school science room and talking to the teacher, I would like to get a bearded dragon. He showed my a lot of different reptiles.
I donated a pair of baby dragons to a highschool science teacher for his classroom LOL.

My daughters school has a pet leopard gecko in the library.

It is so ironic that the very next morning this was the question of the day! Yeah, an iguana would be cool.
ha ha ha ha Coincidental, I swear. I'm surprised it didn't come up sooner.

Iggies are awesome. I had one at one point. She ended up going back to the people I adopted her from after I started working. (me feeding her in the morning, then not playing with her till the weekends, was not enough time for her....but it was all I had working straight midnights). She was harness trained, and a doll.

Originally Posted by Lynsey

In fact, a few days ago I was running and saw a cornsnake on the side of the road (not sure if it was dead or alive) and it gave me the heebie jeebies.
Now that is my idea of paradise (providing it was alive). Most of my collection are cornsnakes