Need a bit of encouragement

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, I recently decided to throw the last three years of college down the drain and switch majors. I started out as a secondary education major. Switched to English about a year and a half ago. This semester I will officially be a biology major.

The complete 180 is so I can start working on getting prerequisites for vet school. I've been interested in pursuing a career in veterinary medicine since I was a kid, but when college came around I decided it was simply too much school and too lofty a goal. Well, I've worked as a vet tech the last two years and the desire has become stronger and stronger. I've worked for a cats only clinic since February under a great veterinarian and with her encouragement, I've decided to go for it.

I am terrified!! But very very excited. I'll be able to apply in about two years time. Now, if I'll get in the first time I'll be shocked. But if I don't, I'll just continue on towards my BA in Biology and apply each year. But it is so insanely hard to get in.

The recent entering class into LSU's Veterinary program (where I'll most likely be attending) had an average GPA of 3.77 and a GRE score of 1143. Of the 642 applicants, 87 were accepted. Eighty.Seven. So, basically, I have to make an A in every class from here on out. As well as having other good application padders, like club membership, experience in the veterinary field, experience with a wide range of animals, etc.

And then if I do get in... jeesh. The vet I work for now says it is the hardest thing she has ever done in her life. This coming from a woman with military background, two BAs, two masters, a PhD, etc., etc. My life will be school for at the bare minimum six years. I think about it and my head starts to spin.

I know I will love my job. I know it will challenge me and inspire me each day. I love animals, I love working with them, I love making even the tiniest bit of difference in their lives. I know this is the absolute best decision I could make for myself.

Anyway, thank you if you got this far,
. I'm just having a really rough few days and needed some words of wisdom or some good wishes.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that what you love? Then go for it! By all means, go for it! Don't forget about your dream because you think it's going to be too hard... Hard is never living the dream, that is hard!
Yep, people can say that was the hardest thing they have done... yet they DID it!

I am 35, unemplyed, and seriously contemplating the same thing you are....... but I have gone to college 2x already lol! My dream was to be an MD or a Vet, but I didn't pursue it because I thought it was too hard... and here I am, researching at this point in my life, after 9 years of college (5 for chemistry, 4 for Computer graphics and graphic design), how can I go back to really fulfill my dream...
So, don't think about the obstacles, think about the rewards...
Good luck!!!

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can only second whay everyone else has said, Congratulations and go for it! But don't think of the past three years as wasted, learning is worthwhile for it's own sake.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

I am terrified!! But very very excited. I'll be able to apply in about two years time. Now, if I'll get in the first time I'll be shocked. But if I don't, I'll just continue on towards my BA in Biology and apply each year. But it is so insanely hard to get in.

The recent entering class into LSU's Veterinary program (where I'll most likely be attending) had an average GPA of 3.77 and a GRE score of 1143. Of the 642 applicants, 87 were accepted. Eighty.Seven. So, basically, I have to make an A in every class from here on out. As well as having other good application padders, like club membership, experience in the veterinary field, experience with a wide range of animals, etc.
With the love for animals, and determiniation for you to succeed, you WILL.

Please take a peek at my motivational quotes today, they are for you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words. They help more than you know,

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow - those motivational quotes really were for you today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My only advice? Focus on the goal, and focus on the day-to-day, not the "inbetween."

I think you've made a great decision for you! My dad was a college professor - he said don't worry about your major, 60% of people change it in their 3rd year of college. So I agree - it is NOT time wasted! It was the time you needed to confirm what you want to do!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a former pre-vet student, let me see if I can give you a few tips. :-)

Work hard on those grades, but also start looking for people to get your letters of recommendation from. The people you're looking for are the ones who will praise your willingness to work and go the extra mile, and the ones who will talk about your dedication and enthusiasm for your work. Here at Texas A&M, I would tell you to get in good with particular professors who are on the admissions board for vet school. I'm sure someone can point you to those professors at your school.

While grades are very important, here, at least you can go a long way with experience with vets/animals and great letters of recommendation. I remember that my first semester - a rough semester for me - my original academic advisor told me that my grades were too low, and to just forget trying to apply for vet school. I wanted to cry! But I went and saw another advisor, who told me that he had a friend who just got into vet school with a 3.0, but had stellar experience and letters.

Working with a vet is a great idea if you haven't done so already - even just volunteer time. I haven't met a vet yet who has turned down a shadow student, though I'm sure that it happens from time to time. I know a lot of students who thought being a vet would be great.....until the first time they had to clean out a poopy cage, witnessed a surgery, or saw an animal put to sleep. I'm not saying that to discourage you - but the school is going to want to see some experience on your behalf to prove you won't be one of those students.

Anyways, good luck! Vet school is tough, but totally worth it.