Cat attacks human

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What happens to a cat if they bite a human and the human has to be treated by a doctor? I am a bit concerned and I remember a few threads about this in the past. I am trying to find out PA's law but I am horrible at googling things.

Benson is up to date on his shots (till the 13th) and it was my mom he bit. Mom says her wrist is swollen 5 hours after the bite. She can barely move her wrist
She is seeing her family doctor tomorrow for other reasons and it's going to be visible.

I'm worried for Benson.
(of course mom too but we know how to treat the bite).

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The easiest thing to do since this is your pet who you can keep an eye on, is for your mother to simply say she reached down to pet a stray cat and that's what bit her and not mention it was your cat. They'll treat her and Animal Control will probably bring a trap to her house which she can not set then have them pick back up after a week or so. Been there and done that.

What actually happens in animal bite cases (at least in GA) is that the animal is quarantined for 10 days and watched for any signs of rabies. After that they go home. That's it. Sometimes, you can even get them to allow you to pay to board the animal at a vet of your choosing.

Since the cat has his shots and is a pet that will be confined to your home there's really no public health threat.

That being said, your mother needs a tetanus shot if she doesn't have a current one (they're good for 10 years) because cat bites are puncture wounds. She'll probably be prescribed an antibiotic because bites infect easily. On her own, soaking the wound in Epsom salts will help ease the swelling and fight infection. Cat bites are nasty things, not to be taken lightly. Again, been there, done that and it's really not much fun. I know you mentioned you know what to do for a bite but I added this in case others don't. I'm affected by a lot of medications and have had a lot of success with the Epsom salts since the antibiotics tend to make me sick but you have to soak it about every hour and follow up with something like Neosporin. I don't encourage not seeing a doctor but if someone else is in the same boat as me I just wanted to pass this along.

I hope your mom heals quickly and that Benson gets to stay safe at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

The easiest thing to do since this is your pet who you can keep an eye on, is for your mother to simply say she reached down to pet a stray cat and that's what bit her and not mention it was your cat. They'll treat her and Animal Control will probably bring a trap to her house which she can not set then have them pick back up after a week or so. Been there and done that.

What actually happens in animal bite cases (at least in GA) is that the animal is quarantined for 10 days and watched for any signs of rabies. After that they go home. That's it. Sometimes, you can even get them to allow you to pay to board the animal at a vet of your choosing.

Since the cat has his shots and is a pet that will be confined to your home there's really no public health threat.

That being said, your mother needs a tetanus shot if she doesn't have a current one (they're good for 10 years) because cat bites are puncture wounds. She'll probably be prescribed an antibiotic because bites infect easily. On her own, soaking the wound in Epsom salts will help ease the swelling and fight infection. Cat bites are nasty things, not to be taken lightly. Again, been there, done that and it's really not much fun.

Thanks. All I can think of is what Lee went through with Persi. Mom called during lunch with an update and when I heard it got worst I ran to the vet records. I saw he got the shots Aug 13th and made an appointment for Monday.

Now I have to worry about my husband. He will flip if something happens to Benson and he is still living with a spraying cat. Ugh this multi cat household is stressing me.

I totally didn't think about the stray idea. Thanks so much.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, you didn't hear that from me!

If he does have to go into quarantine, don't let it stress you too much. I worked at a vet's office where we frequently quarantined bite cases. We hung a big sign on the kennels but otherwise that was the only difference between those animals and any others. We never had a rabid animal and after a couple of days we could tell they were fine but we had to comply with the law. As the primary care giver to those pets I loved on them the same as the others. It would suck to be without him for 10 days but there are worse things that could happen in a vet's office than a quarantine.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yep, you didn't hear that from me!

If he does have to go into quarantine, don't let it stress you too much. I worked at a vet's office where we frequently quarantined bite cases. We hung a big sign on the kennels but otherwise that was the only difference between those animals and any others. We never had a rabid animal and after a couple of days we could tell they were fine but we had to comply with the law. As the primary care giver to those pets I loved on them the same as the others. It would suck to be without him for 10 days but there are worse things that could happen in a vet's office than a quarantine.
Yea then I have to worry about his behavior when he gets home. He is a bit feral
OMG I so have to get mom to tell the stray story. Thanks

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

It might make a difference if she's going to her family doctor and not the ER, but she should probably say Benson is the "family cat" and is UTD with shots. Here's PA's DOG BITE LAW
Here's the PA code pertaining to rabies and bites: CHAPTER 16. RABIES PREVENTION AND CONTROL

Would you believe there's actually a dog/cat bite expert offering his servics to attorneys?
CAT BITE EXPERT WITNESS
Thanks so much. Every time I did a search it came up with law cases not laws in PA.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're welcome.

FYI to other peeps, rabies should never be taken lightly! This cat has his shots and is in the household and can be monitored. If his behavior or health changes at all go to the vet and ask your mom to go back to a doctor. No human has ever survived rabies without timely medical treatment. I don't want anyone taking my advice without knowing that info too!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That being said, your mother needs a tetanus shot if she doesn't have a current one (they're good for 10 years) because cat bites are puncture wounds. She'll probably be prescribed an antibiotic because bites infect easily. On her own, soaking the wound in Epsom salts will help ease the swelling and fight infection. Cat bites are nasty things, not to be taken lightly. Again, been there, done that and it's really not much fun. I know you mentioned you know what to do for a bite but I added this in case others don't. I'm affected by a lot of medications and have had a lot of success with the Epsom salts since the antibiotics tend to make me sick but you have to soak it about every hour and follow up with something like Neosporin. I don't encourage not seeing a doctor but if someone else is in the same boat as me I just wanted to pass this along.

Mom got some antibiotics from her boss. She mentioned getting a tetanus shot too tomorrow. I begged her to mention it was a stray not our cat.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read some case in CT in which a womans cat was declared viciouse and would be put to sleep if he snuck out doors again. I know cat bites are painful and dangerous, rescueing strays and the ocasional feral kitten I've had more than my share, but I thought that was a bit extreme!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bookworm

I read some case in CT in which a womans cat was declared viciouse and would be put to sleep if he snuck out doors again. I know cat bites are painful and dangerous, rescueing strays and the ocasional feral kitten I've had more than my share, but I thought that was a bit extreme!
Is this the case? It seems to have ended happily:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_(cat)

Back to the OP: I'm sorry your mom was bitten (ouch!), and that you're going through this stressful situation. Of course I understand the reasoning behind the quarantine, but I didn't realize they'd go through with it if your cat's vacs were up to date. (Is that what happened to Lee and Persi? How awful!)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just how bad is the swelling and how close to the wrist was it? I'm a bit concerned because if it's bad enough, even with antibiotics (which type?), and left overnight that they may put her in the hospital tomorrow.

I have a stepsister that left a small bite on her finger overnight, but because of the bite being so near bone and joints they ended up putting her in the hospital for a couple days when she went to her GP to get it treated.

If you try to get her to say it was a stray... I hope she can lie well. Some people can't or will slip up if they're asked repeatedly.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Illinois and several years ago one of my BF's cats bit and scratched him when he was trying to put her in her carrier. The doctor didn't say anything when told what happened, just prescribed antibiotics, but I guess that depends on the law.
Good luck to your mom, Benson and you!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Just how bad is the swelling and how close to the wrist was it? I'm a bit concerned because if it's bad enough, even with antibiotics (which type?), and left overnight that they may put her in the hospital tomorrow.

I have a stepsister that left a small bite on her finger overnight, but because of the bite being so near bone and joints they ended up putting her in the hospital for a couple days when she went to her GP to get it treated.

If you try to get her to say it was a stray... I hope she can lie well. Some people can't or will slip up if they're asked repeatedly.
She is taking Doxycycl HYC 100mg. Well her hand looks like it's caving in b/c the wrist is swollen. I am seem to be more concerned than she is. She feels dizzy since taking the pill so she went to bed with a painkiller. The bad part about the bite is where she just had tendons removed for thumb surgery.

Hopefully she can lie tomorrow. He will definitely ask b/c it's that obvious. I just hope she keeps the lie up.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Depending on what a person can take, the most commonly prescribed antibiotic for bite wounds tends to be Augmentin (amoxicillian clavulanic potassium - kitty version is called clavamox, which I'm sure you're familiar with).
I had 2x750mgs a day for that.
yuck! Huge pills that can make you nauseous and even dizzy. I hope the antibiotic your mother started doesn't make her feel too ill.
It would help, if she can take them, that she takes an NSAID to help with the inflammation.

The previous surgery, that this is a bad bite, and how she's feeling makes me worry.
That the infection doesn't get bad enough that she finds herself getting surgery on that hand and wrist again...

More that this doesn't turn into a big situation for you and Benson.

Someday I would really like to see a sticky, in a few different places on this forum, with good information on what to do for animal bites - cat and dog. A good break down on just how serious they can be, how important treatment is, and maybe (if it exists) a link to various state laws concerning bites. Everyone thinks rabies and tetanus - but that pasteurella bacteria can cause serious damage. People can loose hands from bad bites.
It really seems like every couple of months someone posts who has been bitten or has friend/family member who has.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Someday I would really like to see a sticky, in a few different places on this forum, with good information on what to do for animal bites - cat and dog. A good break down on just how serious they can be, how important treatment is, and maybe (if it exists) a link to various state laws concerning bites. Everyone thinks rabies and tetanus - but that pasteurella bacteria can cause serious damage. People can loose hands from bad bites.
It really seems like every couple of months someone posts who has been bitten or has friend/family member who has.
It's very confusing searching for information when you are all nervous/excited. I immediately went to Lee's post about Persi and tried to piece it together from there.

ETA: Mom is allergic to penicillin so they gave her this medicine instead

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not a lawyer, but I am a law librarian, so I can tell you that it is NEVER a good idea to advise anyone to lie to the authorities. You may not have to tell the whole truth, but it is NOT a good idea to tell an outright lie.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

I'm not a lawyer, but I am a law librarian, so I can tell you that it is NEVER a good idea to advise anyone to lie to the authorities. You may not have to tell the whole truth, but it is NOT a good idea to tell an outright lie.
You know, I can see the docyor insisting on rabies treatment if he thinks it's an unknown stray, I know there have been quite a few racoons in our area found positive this year.

Maybe it would be best to say it was an accidental bite while playing with a fully vaccinated cat?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bookworm

You know, I can see the docyor insisting on rabies treatment if he thinks it's an unknown stray, I know there have been quite a few racoons in our area found positive this year.

Maybe it would be best to say it was an accidental bite while playing with a fully vaccinated cat?
Things may have changed in Pennsylvania in the mean time, but one of our dogs bit my father when he tried to break up a dog fight, and he had to go to the ER. The doctor asked him if he knew the dog, and my father asked what difference it would make. He was told that if it was a stray he'd have to undergo rabies shots himself, if it was a neighbor's/friend's dog it would be reported and put in quarantine, and if it was his dog and its shots were UTD, nothing would be done. He opted for the third answer.

It's hard to say what's best to do now.