Kitten breathing fast and tachycardia after vaccines

kittykattiva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all.
I rescued/raised 3 orphan kittens three months ago and they got their vaccines last week (Feline rhinotracheitis/Celici-Panleukemia and Chlamydia Psittaci).
The smallest kitten weighs 900 grs only but she's healthy, she just happened to be the smallest one in her litter.
She's been having tachycardia for a week now even after the Vet gave her mesodetasone (sp?) and antibiotics to alleviate any possible reactions or infections.
She has not been acting sick, maybe lost her appetite a bit but she is not in pain or breathing with her mouth open at any rate.
Vet said he would get a cradiogram and x-rays but I can't get to the city until Friday.
Any experiences with kittens experiencing tachycardia or fast breathing? How did you help your kitten get fixed, if so, or what did the Vet do?
Feedback is much appreciated, I'd hate to find out my kitten is in danger too late!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand you did asked the vet who gave the shots, and the vet didnt knew about such sideeffects? As he is talking about cardiogram (=EKG) and X-rays?

Good luck!

nursedoggett

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In humans (I'm a nurse, so I know more about us than kitties) if someone receives an immunization and they already have an infection brewing somewhere, there is a rare chance for cardiac problems. This is tested for with a combo of bloodwork, x-ray, and EKG. It is treated relatively easily with a round of medications, and in the future the patient takes medications before medical or dental procedures.
Your kitty was treated with a steroid and antibiotic, so this is highly unlikely.
Most likely, it is a reaction to the steroid. Google the name of the medication, plus the word side effects.
Make sure you do not stop that medication suddenly, that would be very dangerous, possibly deadly. It has to be tapered down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykattiva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's getting a cardiogram tommorrow, I have to drive 3 hours and on top of that I have a (possibly dying) two week-old rescue to look after.
I'm so stressed out.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittykattiva

She's getting a cardiogram tommorrow, I have to drive 3 hours and on top of that I have a (possibly dying) two week-old rescue to look after.
I'm so stressed out.
Oh....

I wish you all good luck, Im sending lots of vibes too:

kittykattiva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all

My kitty has an enlarged heart (hence the slight apnea and tachycardia) and she's been diagnosed with Feline Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.
Apparently it's fairly common and although there is no known cure for this condition with prompt diagnosis and early treatment (which is the case, kitty is barely two months-old) it is possible for my Negrita to lead a normal life or at least as normal and comfortable as possible.
The drug they prescribed helps improve her cardiac rythm and function and reduces the enlargement.
I am very very hopeful and though it breaks my heart that she sometimes breathes so fast and looks a little tired, I have so much hope that medication will help improve this and she will grow as healthy as possible in her condition.
I hand-raised her and her two sisters, I truly do adore her and she is possibly the best-looking kitten I've ever seen even if a bit underdeveloped

My rescue is still fighting. I am exhausted. I've cried so much today, please send us as much strength and good wishes as you can!!!

kittykattiva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw thank you from me and Negrita!!!

This is she, btw (sorry about crappy quality):