Pichure Frames from Tiffany & Co?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As some of you know my sister got married in December. Being a horrible sister
i still have not bought her a gift.

My gift idea was to get her best wedding photo, have my boyfriend paint it (he is a wonderful artist) and place it in a beautiful frame. The reason i am so late with the present, is we haven't received her wedding photos until now.

Now, my sister is somewhat superficial and is totally into "names". One Designer name she is absolutely nuts for is Tiffanys & Co. Being that its her wedding present i don't mind splurging.

Anyway, here i go on and on again LOL. My question: Has anyone ever bought a Tiffany's Frame? In looking at the frame i was going to buy it seems so boring.

http://www.tiffany.ca/Shopping/Item....+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

I don't mind spending the money as long as it is beautiful, but I have never really had an interest in buying beautiful tableware type items and i don't know if it is worth it.

My boyfriend thinks its dumb and told me to buy something from the local frame shop... but its her wedding gift, and she LOVES Tiffanys, so id like to buy her something from there... but not if its all money for nothing much, since i barely have the money to begin with.

Thanks guys!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with your BF. I think that worshipping brand names is stupid and boring. I would have him paint the picture first, then take it to a framing store and have it custom framed. You might decide to use layered matting or whatever, and it would be something you chose that would be customized, and not just off the shelf - Tiffany or not, a ready-made frame would not necessarily compliment the picture as well as one you design yourself!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly if your boyfriend is painting the portrait for them I would think that just a plan frame purchased locally might be a better idea. It is the picture it's that is the gift and you really don't want the frame to detract from the work that was put into the painting. It's up to you of course but if you want to get them something from tiffany's as well perhaps a small sweets box to go along with the potrait would be a good idea.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Honestly if your boyfriend is painting the portrait for them I would think that just a plan frame purchased locally might be a better idea. It is the picture it's that is the gift and you really don't want the frame to detract from the work that was put into the painting. It's up to you of course but if you want to get them something from tiffany's as well perhaps a small sweets box to go along with the potrait would be a good idea.
Or you could buy a small frame from Tiffany's for the original photo...and pair it along with the painting!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree worshipping brands is stupid, but too bad its not for me! Im easily made happy with presents... my sis is a little (lot?
) spoiled.

Its her wedding present from us. The painting is from my boyfriend, and the frame is from me. As i said, i dont mind spending money on her, i just want it to be nice looking. Being as i have never seen a real life frame i have no clue how good they really look.

The small frame with the original sounds like a great idea. Ill check that one out.

As i said, i dont mind spending the money, it is her most important day and in my family we usually give big presents for these types of things. I just want to know if it actually looks nice.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be perfectly honest, the link you provided with the Tiffany frame, looks just like the frame around my daughter's wedding picture - 8 x 10, silver and plain. And mine says "Made in Korea" on the back in a sticker on the black velvet.

How big is the painting going to be? If it is going to be 11 x 14 or bigger, I still think a custom frame would be nicer than a boxed frame, even if it says Tiffany on the back. I custom framed a painting I had commissioned of my family. It is beautiful and elegant, and I know I paid over $200 for it and that was about 20 yrs. ago. I still have it and the painting inside on the wall in my home. It is one of those things I would grab first if the house was on fire.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see anything special on that frame aside from the price tag... Another question - is this going to match the painting? It's awfully modern looking... IMO that is a photo frame, and it won't go well with a hand painted one.
I would have your boyfriend paint the picture first, then choose something appropriate - the artwork is #1, the frame is, well... a frame!

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would take the painting to Michaels or another craft store and have it framed there. That way your boyfriend is not restricted to a certain size that he will have to make the painting.

A custom frame, in my opinion, is so much more thoughtful than a store bought generic frame. Plus, layers always make photos more beautiful.

Plus, going to a craft store doesn't always mean you are being price concious by not buying a brand name, a lot of the custom framework at Michael's can run fairly expensive depending on what types of material you use.

If you do decide to go with the brand name, I think you should definately picka frame that is less generic, honestly that looks like something I could buy at walmart or TJ Maxx for 15$. I'm not trying to be rude or mean or anything so please please don't take it that way. =O I just think it should look a little fancier, while not detracting from the beauty of the painting itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh crap! I didn't even think about the fact that it is a photo frame... also, its pewter not silver. I am not sure if my boyfriend is painting, drawing, charcoal but he was the one that picked the size of the frame.

I might buy the smaller frame and put a photo in there and then get a nice wood one for the painting. I don't want to spend more then 200$ (CAD) that is my budget for this.

I just wanted to know if anyone had seen one before, i have seen some of the plates, glasses, and vases and they seemed pretty nice but i am not even sure what pewter looks like LOL. As i said, i have never bought "nice" items for my home. Is pewter like silver?

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pewter is a bit like silver, but it's a softer metal. It tends to be darker and is frequently not as shiny.

You know your sister best. If you think that a Tiffany label would be meaningful to her, and it's within your budget, then go for it. I have one Tiffany picture frame, but it's glass not pewter, so I can't speak for that exact frame. I do have three different pieces from them (all were wedding gifts), and they're all very nice and very high quality. I'm sure this frame would be no exception.

The name brand isn't really a big deal to me, but if it is to your sister then go for it. I'm sure it's a very nice frame.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

I'm with your BF. I think that worshipping brand names is stupid and boring. I would have him paint the picture first, then take it to a framing store and have it custom framed. You might decide to use layered matting or whatever, and it would be something you chose that would be customized, and not just off the shelf - Tiffany or not, a ready-made frame would not necessarily compliment the picture as well as one you design yourself!
I totally agree! Custom framing is the best! You can get something that is not only gorgeous, but also compliments the picture way better than a store bought frame. And for the record, Tiffany frames are no better or worse than other frames of similar style. Most things these days are made in the same place, China, and just have a brand label put on it. So you are paying for the label, not necessarily for a better quality of the product.

Save the money you would have spent on a brand label and take your sister for lunch with what you have left over from the custom frame