disciplining a cat???

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
okay i have a problem. i have 2 kitties. one of them has been making me SO ANGRY lately. to the point where i dont even want her anymore. which is a big deal because i love her.
her behavior consists of
(1)peeing in my laundry basket, on my bathroom rug, on towels, on my bags,etc
(2)meowing throughout the night, CONSTANTLY. until i get up and do what she wants me to do
(3)running around keeping me up all night
(4)wining until i feed her. i feed her twice a day. she just wines ALL the time!!!!!!

this morning i found myself so angry at her, i literally felt like i just wanted to get rid of her. i dont know what to do because i dont really want to get rid of her, but i dont want a child and that is what her behavior is turning into. i have tried to discipline her but i think im doing it all the wrong ways. i am just so angry with her. anybody, please help. i cant deal with a cat like this on a daily basis. if i wanted a child i would have a child! i dont want her to be afraid of me, i havent been physical with her. ive made commands to her, and usually she will stop when i do that, but 5 mins later she is doing it again. i have tried other things. but im at a loss.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This peeing - has it started all of the sudden, or it is old news? Have you tested her for UTI? That's the first thing you should do when kitty starts peeing outside of the litter box...
How old is she? The rest might be "kitten tantrums" - kittens are cute, but a lot of work...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
shes not a kitten anymore. shes over a year old. when i lived with my parents, they had OLD cats that started to pee out of the litter box, and went outside. so then my cats started to pee outside. She has been doing this for a while. I dont know if its because she was able to pee outside before and doesnt know the difference or what. How would i go about getting her tested? Do i need to take her to a vet or (this is probably a stupid question) is there a test i can do at home?
also, i have 2 cats. they are the same age. only one of them acts this way.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over a year old is still somewhat a kitten... Not too young, but not grown up yet...
As far as the peeing, yes, you need to take her to the vet - this is the first step... She could have an UTI.
Make sure you clean everything she pees on with an enzymatic cleaner, like nature's miracle. Also, is she peeing on things that have been washed with bleach? For some reason some kitties like peeing on stuff that have been washed with bleach.
What kind of litter are you using? With two cats, you should have 3 litter boxes - how many do you have?
Make sure the litter you use is soft on their paws, and don't have strong soap odors... A nice clumping litter should do it - you can also try a litter called "cat attract", it works really well. What kid of box do you have? If it is closed, take the lid off...
Something else to re-train her: get a piece of clothing she pees on, and throw it inside of the litter box - it should help her to relate the box with peeing.
Make sure the litter boxes are cleaned once a day at least...
And last, but not least... Don't leave anything she likes to pee on on the floor. No more bags, laundry baskets, etc...
As far as running during the night: Play hard with her before you go to bed, so she is tired for the night.
Doe she have a cat tree, or any other toy she can play on her own?
As far as waking you up in the am: ignore her until it is time for you to give her food - be consistent; eventually she will know that you don't respond to her whines...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot:
Don't discipline her when she pees outside of the box - it will only make it worst... Here is why: In kittie's mind, you are disciplining her because she is peeing, and not because of the place... Now kitty relates: pee = yelling, therefore, pee box (litter box) = yelling. You don't want that!
What you do when you see her peeing, is to get a folded paper towel and place it underneath her, as she is peeing, so she pees on it. Then you place that towel inside of the litter box... you can also take her gently, and place her on the box as well...

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i dont wash anything with bleach so no. i have been closing my bathroom door so she doesnt pee on my rug anymore, and i use to put the laundry basket on the floor, then when i noticed she peed in it, i put it up to a high surface. then i caught her peeing in it again this morning. the cat box is one of those big corner ones, which does have a lid on it. i use tidy cats "multiple cat" clumping litter. i clean the box at least once a day. i actually just bought this cat box a week or so ago. its the only one i have because i dont have another area to put a catbox. i live with another girl and she wont be happy if i set a cat box outside my room somewhere. she doesnt pee on small things... like my rug is huge, and actually one time, she jumped in my counter sink and peed in there. so it dont think its anything specifically she chooses to pee on. she does have PLENTY of toys. i bought her this climbing thing a long time ago, and they there is a door hanging thing, and these two balls with fur & then one of those stick things with fur. oh and there is a platform thing she can claw at. with the cardboard stuff. the past 2 weeks when she wines in the morning i have been ignoring her, but she just keeps going at it. she starts to jump on the door, trying to turn the handle. maybe im not ignoring her well enough, she just gets SO LOUD i want to throw her it just makes me want to cry because i want to sleep!

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I forgot:
Don't discipline her when she pees outside of the box - it will only make it worst... Here is why: In kittie's mind, you are disciplining her because she is peeing, and not because of the place... Now kitty relates: pee = yelling, therefore, pee box (litter box) = yelling. You don't want that!
What you do when you see her peeing, is to get a folded paper towel and place it underneath her, as she is peeing, so she pees on it. Then you place that towel inside of the litter box... you can also take her gently, and place her on the box as well...
i will have to catch her in the act when she does this. ive only caught her twice. i certainly have not be acting the right way with her. im sure she is confused because i do yell. i toss her out of my room. well this morning i did. i couldnt take it anymore. i will try this rag thing next time.

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
and when i say toss i dont mean throw her

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she spayed?

She DEFINITELY needs to see the vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. You might also want to get a Feliway diffuser to see if that helps any.

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes she is spayed. first thing i did when i got her. what is a feliway diffuser?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also remove the lid for your litter box.... you can turn the lid into another one, right? Make another box out of it, of buy another box all together - it is fine if you put both in your bedroom... With two cats you need 2 boxes, especially if you are having problems...
Now it really seems to me she has an Urinary Tract Infection... That is quite painful, if in fact she has it... Please take her to the vet ASAP.

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Also remove the lid for your litter box.... you can turn the lid into another one, right? Make another box out of it, of buy another box all together - it is fine if you put both in your bedroom... With two cats you need 2 boxes, especially if you are having problems...
Now it really seems to me she has an Urinary Tract Infection... That is quite painful, if in fact she has it... Please take her to the vet ASAP.
thats a good idea. i will use the top as 2 boxes. its big. i called my grama. she usually takes my cats to the vet for me because i work full time & go to school while she has all the time in the world. so anyways, i called my grama. im gunna talk to her about peaches & we will get her to the vet.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, ok - if you were in Dallas I was going to offer my help if you needed to get her to the vet...
Anyway, I am glad your grandma will! If you are going to buy more litter, grab some Dr Elsey's Cat Attract litter at Petsmart - it can help you A LOT!!

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh, ok - if you were in Dallas I was going to offer my help if you needed to get her to the vet...
Anyway, I am glad your grandma will! If you are going to buy more litter, grab some Dr Elsey's Cat Attract litter at Petsmart - it can help you A LOT!!
ahh well thank you anyways!!!
i still have a whole bag of cat litter.. i will keep that in mind for my next purchase!!!!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silly_ goose

ahh well thank you anyways!!!
i still have a whole bag of cat litter.. i will keep that in mind for my next purchase!!!!
Given your frustration with the problem, it might be a good idea to make the switch to Cat Attract right away instead of finishing you with the litter you currently use. I don't believe that cats usually need to use cat attract forever, just for a while to re-establish the peeing in the box idea. Once the problem is fixed, you can slowly transition her back over, using the cat litter you already have. Or, you can donate the open bag to a shelter or rescue who I'm sure would also put it to good use.