Wellness Core - kibble question

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My DLH girl Finn has a jaw abnormality that requires her kibble to be small. Since her adoption, she has been on Royal Canin Persian because the small oval kibble shape is easy for her to eat. (her foster mom tried lots of different foods with her). Vet is happy with her weight gain on RC (she was tiny when i got her), but I want to switch to grain free -- can anyone give me a sense of how big the pieces are and the shape? for example, does your kitty chew it or is it small enough to be swallowed? More background: She does not like wet food, but I coax some Wellness wet into her daily. with time, i hope she'll take in more. she loves her water fountain and doesn't have problems drinking. unfortunately, due to her jaw, she can't do raw...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Orijen, and the kibbles are tiny tiny... Acana is also very tiny - they are both grain free, and great quality food.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellness Core kibbles are fairly small, you know the erasers on a pencil? About that size. They very seldom get crunched here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks so much Carolina & Chris! it sounds like Wellness Core will be a good size for her to try. I'm making note of the foods Carolina mentioned, in case she doesn't go for the Core. (I'd have to order them online since they aren't available at my local pet store or petco)

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Wellness Core kibbles are fairly small, you know the erasers on a pencil? About that size. They very seldom get crunched here.
Same here. They are about 4mm wide, quite small. Buy the small bag (2.2lbs I think) just in case. Good luck

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rockstarkitties

Same here. They are about 4mm wide, quite small. Buy the small bag (2.2lbs I think) just in case. Good luck
Awesome, I'll do that. I'm curious to see what it smells like. totally NOT a deciding factor, but I admit feeling bad giving Royal Canin Persian to Finn when it smells so awful. LOL. the cat I babysit is on Wellness Healthy Weight, which smelled like cranberries to me LOL. The Healthy Weight pieces I remember look just like you and Chris describe, so I think Finn will be able to eat them. yay!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Wellness, not the Core but the Indoor. I LOVE that food and cannot say enough wonderful things about it. The pieces in the regular are small as well and our local Petco does carry the regular.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Esme

Awesome, I'll do that. I'm curious to see what it smells like. totally NOT a deciding factor, but I admit feeling bad giving Royal Canin Persian to Finn when it smells so awful. LOL. the cat I babysit is on Wellness Healthy Weight, which smelled like cranberries to me LOL. The Healthy Weight pieces I remember look just like you and Chris describe, so I think Finn will be able to eat them. yay!
Ummmmmmmm.

The smell of the food itself..... honestly.... It's a stinky food. But kitties seem to love it.

I feed it in with a couple other foods because if I feed 1/2 Core and 1/2 something else, Kizzy gets the runs on account of how rich Core is. Some kitties can handle it, some can't. Mine can't (for a 100% feed of it....mine get about 1/6th of it).

I think the smell is what attracts the kitties to it. I've gotten used to the smell of it.

If smell of the food is a deciding factor in it, see if you can get some samples of it, instead of buying a bag. (it's not cheap) As well, if you sign up for the Wellness pet club, you'll get coupons in your email about once a month or so, which helps make it a little more affordable to use.

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Ummmmmmmm.

The smell of the food itself..... honestly.... It's a stinky food. But kitties seem to love it.

If smell of the food is a deciding factor in it, see if you can get some samples of it, instead of buying a bag. (it's not cheap) As well, if you sign up for the Wellness pet club, you'll get coupons in your email about once a month or so, which helps make it a little more affordable to use.
LOL. i won't mind the stink, esp since i know i'm feeding her better quality food than RC. Much thanks for the tips on the richness of the food & the pet club! Every little bit helps these days.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I feed Taste of the Wild which is grain-free and doesn't stink quite as much as Wellness Core. The pieces are round, about 8-9mm in diameter and 4mm thick. I think my kitties mostly swallow them whole.

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I feed Taste of the Wild which is grain-free and doesn't stink quite as much as Wellness Core. The pieces are round, about 8-9mm in diameter and 4mm thick. I think my kitties mostly swallow them whole.
I am now mixing Taste of the Wild and Core. Core is way "stinkier"....the first time I opened the bag I was overwhelmed by the smell of all the protein. My cats love it and I can get a 5lbs TOTW for the price of the 2.2lb Core at a local pet store....a BIG difference

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All mine go crazy for CORE, but not many of them even bother to chew it.

My aunt tried to switch from friskies to a new high quality food (which i kinda suggested for her to do
) and her cat went for the CORE much happier than TOTW, kirkland, natural balance, or Instinct. So much for him only wanting his friskies; it was the dry food too so i am so glad she decided to switch.

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pieces seem to be around 1/4".

This is probably overkill but it may be useful to somebody...

I should add, Pumpkin likes to crunch it, but Zero mostly just swallows the pieces whole.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rockstarkitties

I am now mixing Taste of the Wild and Core. Core is way "stinkier"....the first time I opened the bag I was overwhelmed by the smell of all the protein. My cats love it and I can get a 5lbs TOTW for the price of the 2.2lb Core at a local pet store....a BIG difference
I do the same, well, I have a third brand in the mix too.

I buy the biggest bag of TOTW, small bag of core, and a bag of another brand (it varies which brand). I wouldn't be able to afford 100% Core even if my kitties could handle it.