My kitten has diarrhea and...

kyon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
is peeing and pooping in the litterbox during the day, but on my bed while I sleep at night.
I have a vet appointment on Tuesday (tomorrow). She has been having this problem for about 4 days or so. Every night this has happened except for the night before last.
But I don't think it has to do with the litterbox because, like I said, she goes in it and uses it throughout the day. The litterbox is also clean.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is she? If she is quite young (less than 12 weeks), she may just not have enough "warning" to be able to find the litter box. You may need to close her in a smaller room, like the bathroom, with her litter box at night until she has better control.

Now, as to the diarrhea, there can be a number of causes, from unfamiliar food to intestinal diseases such as coccidia, etc. These can be cured, but your vet has to find them to know what to treat. If untreated, they can be fatal in kittens.

yourlovingcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where is the litter box compared to the bedroom? Is there a spot in your bedroom where you could put a small litter box just at night for your kitten? Then you could move it during the day so that the kitten doesn't get too used to it being there, and move it further away from the bed over time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kyon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

How old is she? If she is quite young (less than 12 weeks), she may just not have enough "warning" to be able to find the litter box. You may need to close her in a smaller room, like the bathroom, with her litter box at night until she has better control.

Now, as to the diarrhea, there can be a number of causes, from unfamiliar food to intestinal diseases such as coccidia, etc. These can be cured, but your vet has to find them to know what to treat. If untreated, they can be fatal in kittens.
Thank you. I talked to the vet and I am going to bring a stool sample with me. And the vet also told me to put her in the bathroom at night (it is also where her litterbox is).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kyon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yourlovingcat

Where is the litter box compared to the bedroom? Is there a spot in your bedroom where you could put a small litter box just at night for your kitten? Then you could move it during the day so that the kitten doesn't get too used to it being there, and move it further away from the bed over time.
I actually don't have a bedroom. I live in a studio-esque house. So it's very small. Only maybe 500-550 sq ft.