stray cat with broken leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnanaguib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everybody,

There's a stray cat near our house, one of her behind legs doesn't move properly. I am not sure if it's broken or what??? The problem is that i don't have money to take her to the vet soon, do u have any tips about how i can treat her????

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a tough one...
see if you can find a rescue group in your area by searching online, call your vet and ask or call the humane society and ask what they suggest....
poor baby must be in pain.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That poor kitty. Thank you for your willingness to try to help her. I agree with starting with your own vet for advice, along with calling the local rescues/shelters to see if they have any funding available. The following article also offers some very helpful suggestions on what do to do if you can't afford vet care. Much of it is geared toward helping pet owners, but also applies to people who rescue an injured animal. I found it very helpful when I rescued a kitten with a broken paw last year and was able to get funding from a couple of the groups listed. Good luck!

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/wh...nary_care.html

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're friendly with your neighbors, you may also want to ask around about everyone chipping in to help the kitty - they needn't necessarily give you cash if they question your motives, if you set it up with a vet in advance, they can call in a donation of whatever size via credit card directly to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnanaguib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear everybody,

I would like to thank you so much for replying to my topic. I had 40$ at my bank account, withdrew them and bought Egyptian pounds with them and took her to the vet hospital. Actually, we don't have any cat shelters here in my city (Zagazig) a city which is about an hour and a half north of Cairo. My heart is torn everyday by seeing that big amount of Egyptian mau cats stray in the streets. Some people here do help by taking a kitten and feeding her but the others make fun of her because the culture here is far different than there in the west. People here adhere to islam only in certain things and do not adhere in other things. For example, the Prophet Mohammed said that God forgave ALL the sins of a man and was thankful to him because he gave water to a thirsty dog. At the same time, you can come here to my city and see how many stray Egyptian mau cats are here. I am thinking 24/7 of what I should do for these cats in order to keep them safe and happy or at least not starving to death. The vet said about the little kitten that she has a deformed backbone because of lack of calcium. This is because she has to enters in a garage from a very very small opening when she sees someone coming. She has to make her body flat in order to enter the garage from this small opening. Her mom is black and she has another daughter/son who is bigger and can jump into the gate of an abandoned house near the garage that the little kitten enters. The three of them are pure breed Egyptian mau cats. I wonder if you know anyone (preferably western) who lives in Egypt and is ready to take them and breed them. The mom black cat and her kittens have unbelievable love for one another. I saw and learnt what maternity is when i saw this little kitten rubbing always against the black cat's face. I bought her the medicine prescribed by the vet and i put it for her in the youghurt but I know she will suffer a lot in the street. My mom wouldn't allow me to keep a stray cat. So, I wonder if you know anyone who's ready to take the three of them. If this one is out of Egypt, I can work with a shelter in Cairo and send him/her the 2 kittens and the mom, if he/she promises me not to sterilize them. I am sorry, I know that my views may contradict with many persons on the forum when it comes to sterilization. Do you know anyone who can take them? I don't wanna deprive them from one another especially that the two kittens still get milk from their mom. Attached with my next message a picture of a kitten who looks exactly like the kitten i was talking about. If you know any home in Egypt for them, Please let me know...

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You touched my heart with this story...
sending love and hope that you find help and solutions for those lost and unwanted kitties.

donnanaguib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much xocats for your sweet reply, you also touched my heart with how sweet your reply is and all the members who replied put really sweet replies, I like you all. Here's a pic of a cat who looks exactly the same like this cat with problem with her backbone. The vet made rays for her and told me that the problem is in her backbone not leg, that's why she crawls not walks.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad.... bless you for caring enough to help these poor babies.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sabah el khair (cuz it will probably be morning in egypt when you read this, unless you're a night owl
)

There are a few rescue organizations I'm aware of in Egypt, but you're right, it's an uphill battle saving kitties from the mean streets of Cairo. I know if AbuSqueakster (my husband) and I ever end up moving there, I'll become mommy to every little street kitty I can find.

http://www.emaurescue.org/
http://sparelives.org/

One of my friends just moved back from Cairo and brought her adopted street kitty with her. I can't wait to meet her
I know she has some experience with shelters and vets, but I don't know which one. Once she gets over her jet lag, I'll pump her for information, inshaAllah.

re: spaying and neutering, I know it's the commonly held view amongst egyptians (at least according to AbuSqueakster) that it's a no no. A group in KSA put together a good argument for it that you can read here - http://compoundcats.com/neuter.html#less

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending mega TCS prayers and vibes that you find a home for those precious cats and extra blessings for you for caring
- the ancient Egyptians must feel so sad that the descendants of their beloved cats are struggling so

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a sad story coming from the country where ALL modern domestic cats originally came from. I wonder how many Egyptians know that?

Mohamed was apparently a cat lover himself, and it is said that the "M" on the forehead of the tabby cat is in honor of Mohamed.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't realize your location when I posted to the link to the U.S. resources.

Bless your for caring for these precious creatures. You, and they, will be in my thoughts and prayers.

kittykattiva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Donna, my heart is with you and those poor kittens.
I too live in a country where animals are neglected and mistreated and shelters barely exist.
I wish I had the money, time and resources to take in every kitten I see on the streets and I can relate to your sorrow and preoccupation.
Bless your heart for caring and I wish you good luck with the links you've been provided. Can't you drive and take him if the shelter it's not a long distance from where you are?
I have to drive about 2 hours here for the nearest vet.
Sending you all my love and good wishes!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for caring in a country where not many people do. I lived and worked for ten years in Bosnia, where no one cares about cats unless they are Persian or Siamese. I rescued many there off the streets and found them homes abroad, often in Germany or Austria. When I came here to France I brought five of them with me, and I still have four of them. I do know how hard it is being alone in your emotions about them. Good luck with everything you are trying to do, although I do hope you change your views on sterilisation. After all, it is only because people do not sterilise, that there is all this misery among the cats in your country. But good luck anyway.

donnanaguib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear all,

Thank you so much for your sweet replies. I have taken the kitten to the vet hospital, the vet told me that the problem has nothing to do with her legs. She has deformation, bent in her backbone, the reason for which her back legs are almost completely paralyzed. i bought her the medicine and put it for her in youghurt. One of the medicine was to help her do her business because she cannot sit on her back legs like the other cats. She still needs a home, because she needs special care that cannot even be given in a shelter. All the shelters here are too crowded and one of the ladies wanted to give her husband's cats to a shelter about 2 weeks ago, but all shelters had no place for them.

Dear Rahma, Please ask your friends in Egypt if anyone can take the kitten, her mom and sister because the two kittens are dependent on their mom since they are not yet weaned.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by donnanaguib

Dear Rahma, Please ask your friends in Egypt if anyone can take the kitten, her mom and sister because the two kittens are dependent on their mom since they are not yet weaned.
For your privacy and security, a mod removed your e-mail address from your above post.
Please....
anyone who knows about someone who might offer this kitty a safe haven, please send donnanaguib a PM.

Vibes are on the way that your concern and efforts on behalf of this needy little one pays off.

Thank you for caring.

donnanaguib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The poor cat died. I've just found her dead. I feel so miserable and sad.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by donnanaguib

The poor cat died. I've just found her dead. I feel so miserable and sad.
Oh how sad...
you really tried to help.

You are not forgotten little one.

donnanaguib

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel so guilty that I didn't take her to the shelter fast. But, it was really hard to catch her mom and sister to take them with her because they hide in a closed gate most of the time. I can't forgive myself.

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please forgive yourself. She is now running as a kitty should in the comfort of the Rainbow Bridge.....she will be missed by her mom and sister....but they shall meet again. There are alot of welcoming kitties where she went to show her a wonderful time.

You tried to help her....that say alot about how wonderful you are!!

Play free and happily, little one

Status
Not open for further replies.