Is she going to spray?

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pepper is my almost 3 year old spayed tabby. She was found as a very tiny spitting 3 week old and came into my house at 7 weeks and has never left (except to go to the vet!). She is indoor only.

A few months ago she started doing the "tail wiggle" when she was excited to see either my husband or me. She would walk over to say hi and the tail would start vibrating. It was and is so cute!

However, lately she has started backing up to things (the door, the cabinet, the dishwasher) when she is saying hello or asking for attention and doing the "wiggle". Nothing ever comes out, or ever has but I'm concerned that eventually something will.

What do I do? I have started ignoring her when she does this but I don't really know if she is being bad or not. Will she spray or just continue to "wiggle"? I don't want to scold her for being happy to see us.

Has anyone experienced this?

kyon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think that female cats usually spray in the first place, and since she is spayed I think you don't have to worry about it.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I once had a male (altered) kitty who did this. He wasn't spraying, and he didn't start, although like you I was a little worried, because he had had a problem in the past.

According to several other sites I just checked, it *does* mean she is happy to see you! I hope this puts your mind at ease.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kyon

I don't think that female cats usually spray in the first place, and since she is spayed I think you don't have to worry about it.
Both males and females can spray.

I've had a few cats that 'dry sprayed' when excited, never actually sprayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh good! I hope that's what this is. I think it's cute.

I guess I won't worry about it until I have to, no sense cluttering the mind.

mn086

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats does this (a recent thing). I have two female cats in or around 11 months old. The quivering has not been accompanied by spraying though thankfully. However they have a "friend" across the road who is about 18 months old, has been spayed and she sprays in our garden quite a lot...proper spray, not pee