Kitty going nuts over dryer sheet?

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our kitty found a used dryer sheet and has been rolling around with it as though it's catnip!
What could a dryer sheet possibly contain that would make a cat so excited?

I think I remember something about cats liking the smell of bleach....Cats play with the oddest things!

catattack1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKalamata

Our kitty found a used dryer sheet and has been rolling around with it as though it's catnip!
What could a dryer sheet possibly contain that would make a cat so excited?

I think I remember something about cats liking the smell of bleach....Cats play with the oddest things!
I can't believe I'm reading this............

Dryer sheets and bleach???

Don't let your cat play with these things; they're toxic.... not toys....

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As long as he's not eating it or chewing on it I think it's okay.

It sounds like she's supervising her cat.

We all know that they play with very strange things all the time!

I'm sure all the germy flies and bugs we allow our cats to consume a long with disease infected rodents and such are far worse than one little kitten rolling on the floor with a used dryer sheet.

Besides, Dryer sheets dont have bleach in them anyways.
If they did, don't you think they would be messing up the color clothes you put into the dryer?

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's got to be the smell of it...chemical fragrances work by mimicking the actual substance in ways the human nose can detect. Maybe it's mimicking something to the cat too, like catnip.

catattack1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please read: http://lauracaroon.blogspot.com/2008...ets-toxic.html

This isn't just "some blog online"; look up the chemicals yourself. They really are quite dangerous, and cat's are so sensitive. I would NEVER let my cat play with a dryer sheet, used or not (but I don't keep them in my home anyway...)

Please don't let your cat play with dryer sheets..........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I made my post, I figured that if dryer sheets weren't safe, someone would let me know it. Thanks for the link Catattack. I guess we'll stick with regular catnip.

Originally Posted by Nekomania

Besides, Dryer sheets dont have bleach in them anyways.
I meant that maybe bleach from the clothes rubbed off on the sheet. A bleach-containing dryer sheet would mean disaster for dark clothes!

Ebrillblaiddes' explanation makes sense.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I liked reading the link that catattack posted, but all I could gather from it was that Dryer Sheets are sometimes fatal if you ingest them. Which is true for a great many things that we come into contact with on a daily basis. I've come across no studies that say that those chemicals are absorbed through your clothes and into your skin from the small amount that is contained into one dryer sheet, and if it did, that it causes cancer and all sorts of other icky illnesses.

Letting a cat bat around a dryer sheet and roll around all over it isn't dangerous. I've known people who rub their wet smelly old dogs down with a bounce when they come in from the rain.

I really just think we are over-protecting our animals here. Sure we dont want them to eat it, which is why we supervise their play with toys that easily come apart.