british shorthair not in top 10 list of friendliest breeds

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humm.... weird that exotics and persians are so far apart, considering they are pretty much the same breed??
I am also getting a BSH - I think it depends how well they are bred and socialized...

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We laughed a lot at that list several months ago on a Finnish cat forum.
I think the fact that Manx is in the top 10 friendliest breeds-list and Cymric on the 10 least friendly breeds-list tells a lot..

And yes, British Shorthairs are very friendly cats. I've never seen one that was not friendly and I have seen a lot of them.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

We laughed a lot at that list several months ago on a Finnish cat forum.
I think the fact that Manx is in the top 10 friendliest breeds-list and Cymric on the 10 least friendly breeds-list tells a lot..
Almost every cat whos found me over the years has been just an unidentifiable mixed breed, but I was once given a kitten whose mother was a papered Manx. As a kitten she hated everybody. As a cat she became friendly. To me. If she happened to be in the mood. She crossed the bridge 9 years ago, and my 13 year old Grandson still shudders if her name is mentioned she was so friendly to kids.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had a purebred cat but it seems to me all my tuxedo cats were the friendlies and most vocal. And the Tortie's Ive known have lived up the the Tortitude stereotype. My mother has a cat that is half Maine coon and she can give you some dirty looks but she's really a big sweetheart; though not really a cuddle bug...unless she wants to stand on your head.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
whats the tortoiseshell stereotype

i see a tortoiseshell in a street frequently owned by someone who lets it out during the day and the cat lets strangers stroke his belly, pick it up and pat him all day.

so im presuming regardless of breed, tortoiseshells are friendly even though its just a colour

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Torties are generally female as are calicos. They can show some cattitude, but I think it has alot to do with how they are raised and treated. I have a calico and she had a dilute tortie kitten in her last litter and she is the sweetest cat ever. She is with a good friend so I know she's being treated like a queen LOL.

Tuxedo's and tortishells aren't a breed of cat, they are only the color.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sometimes wonder if the genes that carry color don't carry certain personality traits too. I've had three torties, and while all three were super affectionate they were also incredibly determined and demanding girls. Mitty, my current tortie is so possesive of me that she has scratched me on a few occasions when I've had another animal in my lap. When she sees me with a book she will lie down on top it every time, and if I continue to try and read she will chew on the corners!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really do agree that Persians & Exotics have different personalities but I feel they are both very friendly. As we agreed a few months ago that list is very debatable.