New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moth watch!!

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
For the past week or two Tabitha has been catching and eating anything that flies through our window!! ( i like the fresh air) Some of the moths are huge! Now, everytime we say " Moth!" ( even if there isn't one! ) she stares at the celling for AGES looking for it ! I dont mind but when she catches one she brings it to me an sits and eats it next to me ! YUCK !!
post #2 of 17
Aw, she's so beautiful! It would be neat if you got a pic of her catching the moth in her mouth.
post #3 of 17
Does she "chatter" at them when she sees them?

And haven't they invented screens in England yet?
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Does she "chatter" at them when she sees them?

And haven't they invented screens in England yet?
This is the British attitude: we don't need no stinkin' screens!! LOL. Honestly, I don't think they use them on their windows, but slap me silly and correct me quickly if I am wrong!
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
And haven't they invented screens in England yet?
Possibly because of how they make the windows look?. That's why i wouldn't have them up anyway
post #6 of 17
The first cat Dottie and I had just loved moths. If one got in the house, he would hunt it until he caught it, no matter how long it took.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
Possibly because of how they make the windows look?. That's why i wouldn't have them up anyway
Yes we do have them!!! but my main reason for not using one is that i cant get to the handel on the window to close it if it gets too cold and i dont have time to keep taking them down and putting it back up. Any anyway, would i want to deprive Tabitha of a bit of fun ( up to 2 hrs worth!!) and a free snack that she has caught herself??!!
post #8 of 17
Don't you have mosquitoes in England? I have no problems with moths (I let them in all the time with the dogs..in and out, in and out..woohoo, free cat toys!) but I draw the line at mosquitoes!

Actually, I've been spending time out on the porch at night and some of the moths are beautiful! I had a pair of purple and yellow moths that were gorgeous and I rescued one of them from our bug light. It's so cute to have them crawl on to your hand and look them in their fuzzy little face. Once it got over the shock it just flew away like nothing happened. And we had one HUGE moth a few weeks ago...it's wing span had to be all of 8 inchs. It was mainly green with yellow spots and a swallow like tail. That one was gorgeous...and I think it would actually be able to hurt my kitties!

I love experiencing that kind of thing...just not in my house!
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
Don't you have mosquitoes in England? I have no problems with moths (I let them in all the time with the dogs..in and out, in and out..woohoo, free cat toys!) but I draw the line at mosquitoes!

Actually, I've been spending time out on the porch at night and some of the moths are beautiful! I had a pair of purple and yellow moths that were gorgeous and I rescued one of them from our bug light. It's so cute to have them crawl on to your hand and look them in their fuzzy little face. Once it got over the shock it just flew away like nothing happened. And we had one HUGE moth a few weeks ago...it's wing span had to be all of 8 inchs. It was mainly green with yellow spots and a swallow like tail. That one was gorgeous...and I think it would actually be able to hurt my kitties!

I love experiencing that kind of thing...just not in my house!

Yep we sure do !! I get bitten a lot ( They must like my blood!!) I put an Anti mosquitoe liquid out on the window sill in a cup (Outside). Citronella, it's what i use on my horse it's quite good. Its not so nice having Tabitha bring me her catch when it's hanging out of her mouth still moving!! Some moths are really pretty,there is one called a Day Moth! Would like to see pics of yours!! They sound really pretty!! I dont mind them but im not to keen on them when they are HUGE!!! And it's just so funny watching Tabitha! Poor Daisy doesn't get a look in !!
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
And we had one HUGE moth a few weeks ago...it's wing span had to be all of 8 inchs. It was mainly green with yellow spots and a swallow like tail. That one was gorgeous...and I think it would actually be able to hurt my kitties!

I love experiencing that kind of thing...just not in my house!
Sounds like a luna moth, they are beautiful ethereal creatures.
Tried to copy and paste a link, but my computer is not cooperating with me today.

ETA: Got link to work
http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/luna_moth.htm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
And we had one HUGE moth a few weeks ago...it's wing span had to be all of 8 inchs. It was mainly green with yellow spots and a swallow like tail. That one was gorgeous...and I think it would actually be able to hurt my kitties!

I love experiencing that kind of thing...just not in my house!
You probably mean a Luna Moth.

Luna Moth

http://www.hiltonpond.org/thisweek020801.html
post #12 of 17
A former cat, long deceased, used to bring me "gifts". Once she caught a huge moth and it was still alive. She had the body in her mouth and the wings were flapping furiously like a motor. It was so funny!
post #13 of 17
I wish my cat would hunt and eat them. Moths freak me out and they are huge here too. They're always getting into our apartment somehow. =O I 'm starting to think they are crawling under the door from the hallway.

Plus they blend in with my carpet and it's impossible to see them until they start flying!

I don't like bugs of any sort, but so far Bean Bean only catches flies. Maybe he is scared of the moths too?
post #14 of 17
That's too adorable! She looks like she's ready!
post #15 of 17
You have an awesome moth-catcher!

Freya does this. SHe loves to catch moths and brings them to my husband before eating them.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post

And haven't they invented screens in England yet?
Lack of screens seems to be a European, not an English thing, maybe because double-hung windows are rare, and mosquitoes not as common as in North America. I've never seen storm windows/doors over here. Most of the screens you see on this side of the Pond are attached to the frame with Velcro strips. You can have screens in metal frames made to fit windows or French doors, but they cost a fortune (we had some made to order with Petscreen, but couldn't afford to do the whole house).

Moths, flies and spiders don't seem to last more than a few minutes or hours in our house. Last week Jamie "flew" off the bed in the middle of the night, waking us both up. When I turned the light on, I saw that he'd caught a moth in midair.
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomania View Post
I wish my cat would hunt and eat them. Moths freak me out and they are huge here too. They're always getting into our apartment somehow. =O I 'm starting to think they are crawling under the door from the hallway.

Plus they blend in with my carpet and it's impossible to see them until they start flying!

I don't like bugs of any sort, but so far Bean Bean only catches flies. Maybe he is scared of the moths too?
I love moths, of all kinds. I will admit to being freaked out by them on occasion, they are "thumpier" (not a word, I know) than a butterfly. If a butterfly got into our homes we would all "Ooh and Ahhh" but a moth, bad rep. They are more "bug" looking. I will catch them before the cat does and put them back outside, though it is a fight, lol.
Night flyers, spend their day blending into trees and staying hidden. Night is the time for moths, and for this I like them (trillcats dark side, bwaahaaaa)
Nothing to fear, they come into our homes attracted by the light, then get confused and thump around.
Be careful catching them, if you try to rescue them, their wings are very delicate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fur Pictures and Videos Only!