Looking for a recipe-pasty

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am craving pasty and was wondering if anyone has a good recipe. Specifically, the meat. I never seem to make a good pasty with hamburger. Show me those pasty recipes!!!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmmmm, I looove pasties! I don't usually put meat in mine but when I do I use chicken, pork or beef, cut up in to little bits. Usually just whatever is cheap and boneless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Mmmmm, I looove pasties! I don't usually put meat in mine but when I do I use chicken, pork or beef, cut up in to little bits. Usually just whatever is cheap and boneless.
Would you cook the meat first or put it in raw? I was thinking cooking a thin steak and then mincing it. Slicing the potatoes, probably dicing the parsnips. Homemade crust is a must, too, so I'll probably have to do it on a weekend.

ETA - and of course, onions!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You probably don't want to start out with completely raw filling because the pastry crust would get overcooked before the insides were ready. I would cook the meat first. Vegetables could be half cooked. I can give you a good pastry recipe if you need it.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
make a bolognese sauce, and use puff pastry, i don't use the liquid in the sauce though, but i find the tomatoey gives it a good flavour.

any left over casserole dish would do too

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I make pasties I don't cook anything first. If you chop the meat in to small pieces it will cook fine, you'll be baking the pasty for at least 30-45 minutes right? The last batch I made I put in diced potatoes, onions, carrots and corn (all raw) some pepper and sage and a little bit of butter, folded them up and baked them until the crust was done. Which took quite a while, but I don't roll my crust really thin. I think I baked them for around 45-60 minutes. I made a whole bunch and then froze them...I wonder if I have any left..mmm.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

When I make pasties I don't cook anything first. If you chop the meat in to small pieces it will cook fine, you'll be baking the pasty for at least 30-45 minutes right? The last batch I made I put in diced potatoes, onions, carrots and corn (all raw) some pepper and sage and a little bit of butter, folded them up and baked them until the crust was done. Which took quite a while, but I don't roll my crust really thin. I think I baked them for around 45-60 minutes. I made a whole bunch and then froze them...I wonder if I have any left..mmm.
Yep, I think my mom baked for about 60 minutes. I'm not sure I've ever used butter, that probably would be a good addition. I'm a bit of a purist, at least so far. Meat, potatoes, onion, parsnip, and that's it. Maybe i should get creative if I start making it more.

I would love a pastry recipe. I hear you shouldn't use pie pastry per se because it is too fragile.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think this is the first time I've actually heard people talking about making/eating pasties. I'm not sure I ever came across the term before I saw it in "The Cat Who..." series!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I think this is the first time I've actually heard people talking about making/eating pasties. I'm not sure I ever came across the term before I saw it in "The Cat Who..." series!
Haha, my grandfather came from Scotland. I've eaten a lot of Welsh Rarebit, scones, pasty, and shortbread.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's like a turnip?
I use a regular pie crust pastry for mine, and when I add butter it's just a tiny bit, say 1/2 tablespoon or maybe a little less, just to give it a little moisture to steam the veggies with.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's my *secret* recipe for a good-tasting pasty:
1. Get in car
2. Drive to Piggly-Wiggly
3. Go to freezer dept. and find the case with the pasties; grab one
4. Check-out & get back in car
5. Drive home
6. Go upstairs with frozen pasty, stick on cookie sheet, put in oven for awhile
7. Take it out of oven, put on plate, stuff face.

I'm not the best "cooker" lol, but I do love me a good pasty! I would never be able to make one from scratch, I'd end up probably destroying my kitchen. Good Luck!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

1. Get in car
5. Drive home

I'm not the best "cooker" lol, but I do love me a good pasty! I would never be able to make one from scratch, I'd end up probably destroying my kitchen. Good Luck!
Ha ha, I don't think we get them here in Colorado.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Ha ha, I don't think we get them here in Colorado.
I may be wrong, but I think that Piggly Wiggly's are only here in Wisconsin. I have seen them at other grocery stores around here too, but it may be a regional thing. I'd send ya one, but it would most likely go bad by the time it arrived way over by u. It's probably a regional thing

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

1. Get in car
5. Drive home

Are you really WI person?? lol! We just call it the pig.

(Piggly Wiggly)
I have moved, and none of them in Madison as far as I can see.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I may be wrong, but I think that Piggly Wiggly's are only here in Wisconsin. I have seen them at other grocery stores around here too, but it may be a regional thing. I'd send ya one, but it would most likely go bad by the time it arrived way over by u. It's probably a regional thing
LOL, it's the thought that counts!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hoggly Wogglies used to be in Arkansas, but I don't know if they still are.

Huh, I just checked their web site, and we have 3 within 100 miles of us or so. Two in Denton, one in Stephenville.

They're in about 15 states, from Texas north to WI and east to VA.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Are you really WI person?? lol! We just call it the pig.

(Piggly Wiggly)
I have moved, and none of them in Madison as far as I can see.
Yeah, I'm a WI person lol. I normally say "the pig" but didn't this time cuz no one would have the slightest clue what I was talking about. And it's not "the" pig, it's "da" pig
. A 'true' Wisconsinite would say "da"

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I went with his family to visit his aunt and uncle in the Munising, MI (in the UP). On our way back to Indiana, we stopped and got frozen pasties. Ours is still in the freezer, but now that you've reminded me, I should put it in the fridge tonight to let it thaw and we can have it for dinner tomorrow.