Mitty needs vibes

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had rowdy grandkids over the other night, and someone didn't latch the door securely. My former indoor/outdoor cat let himself out, and the three higher strung kitties went out too. I'd already gone to bed, and no one thought to wake me. All but one were under the house yesterday morning, more than ready to go in, but my favorite feral rescue who's been happy here for two years hasn't returned.

We passed out color flyers with a good photo, walked, drove and called until I'm hoarse. She has food water and even a litterbox (figured the smell might carry farther than the cat food) outside, but none of it is touched.

No one but me can usually touch her, but there is a neighborhood child who has that touch with cats, time on her hands and a million ways she oud spend the reward, so I have some hope there.

I really think that once the dogs came my house was just too chaotic for her and she doesn't care to return. She's vaccinated and spayed, and a good hunter, but that doesn't keep her safe from parasites or the weather.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still no sign of Mitty, but we did find an escaped parakeet suffering from the heat and dehydration. Dropped him at the vets, he has a 50/50 chance of recovery. From there he'll be going to the wild bird rehabber for lack of a cat free house between me and the clinic workers!

I hope Mitty has found someone who will take her in if she doesn't find her way home.

WOO HOO!!!! I don't know where she spent the last two days, but she was waiting for me when I came home from work tonight. Even more skittish than usual, but she's home safe and I can sleep tonight without worrying if she's been run over or attacked by a loose dog.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow! You went looking for your cat, but found a parakeet?! I guess the lost animals in your neighborhood know where to go!

I'm glad your buddy finally came back. I always worry that former ferals will revert to their old ways if they get outside. Clearly, Mitty knows where he belongs.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

Wow! You went looking for your cat, but found a parakeet?! I guess the lost animals in your neighborhood know where to go!

I'm glad your buddy finally came back. I always worry that former ferals will revert to their old ways if they get outside. Clearly, Mitty knows where he belongs.
What doesn't find me on it's own some child brings me. If the little parakeet makes it and the rehabber doesn't want to keep it I think I have it a home.

I once raised a starling from 3 days until it learned to fly, but had a bigger house, more free time and less cats back then. I think if the parakeet survived it's heat damage it would die of fright in my house.

I'm so relieved to have Mitty home, I know parents aren't supposed to have favorites, but I do and she's it.

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad she found her way back! I can't even imagine the panic you were going through; I'd be a wreck if one of my loves got out...

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I read the thread about the other feral rescue who escaped and encountered what I was having nightmares about. I'm glad mine came back but I sure wish the other had been as lucky.

I think I'll take the cash I had set aside for a reward if someone found her and see if some new weather stripping on that door will prevent Hunter from opening it.