Stray and possibly pregnant

sgummo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi .. I am new here trying to get some information and help. I have been a cat lover all my life. All cats I have are indoor kitties. Well, last Saturday I had a stray around the house and she came right to me. Never saw her in the neighborhood at all. She was skinny (till we got to the belly) and very friendly. So the cat lover I am I fed her especially since I thought she was pregnant. She has been my porch cat now for this whole week. She sticks around all day and sleeps on my porch or in the mulch behind a bush. I have a box on the porch for her just in case and a pet carrier without the door. I would really love to bring her in, but I have a 3 year old male and a 3 year old female. The male just constantly hisses and spits but the female is interested in her, but she is not interested in them!

I just hate closing that door at night, but.. I do have a lady that lives behind me in a wheel chair that would like to take her, but not till after the babies are born (if she is pregnant). She has a pug dog and would be afraid she would jump all over her.

She did have fleas but my vet said revolutionary can be put on a pregnant or nursing cat, so I did do that. I think I am going to take her to the vet next week to make sure she is pregnant. She sleeps all day and does some roaming at night though. Her nipples are prominent and pink, but not overwhelming as of yet (bigger than my 3 year olds though). Everything I read says to bring her in, but I can't. Do you think everything will be okay outside etc???? I did tell my husband that once she does have the kittens or is very close to delivering, that my car is coming out of the garage and the box will go in and the door will be shut at night.

She is approximately 9 to 10 months old, eats a whole can of food along with kitten chow. I give her a little milk about every 2 to 3 days, but it is water mostly. Any other advice???

Thank you!
Sue

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sgummo

Hi .. I am new here trying to get some information and help. I have been a cat lover all my life. All cats I have are indoor kitties. Well, last Saturday I had a stray around the house and she came right to me. Never saw her in the neighborhood at all. She was skinny (till we got to the belly) and very friendly. So the cat lover I am I fed her especially since I thought she was pregnant. She has been my porch cat now for this whole week. She sticks around all day and sleeps on my porch or in the mulch behind a bush. I have a box on the porch for her just in case and a pet carrier without the door. I would really love to bring her in, but I have a 3 year old male and a 3 year old female. The male just constantly hisses and spits but the female is interested in her, but she is not interested in them!

I just hate closing that door at night, but.. I do have a lady that lives behind me in a wheel chair that would like to take her, but not till after the babies are born (if she is pregnant). She has a pug dog and would be afraid she would jump all over her.

She did have fleas but my vet said revolutionary can be put on a pregnant or nursing cat, so I did do that. I think I am going to take her to the vet next week to make sure she is pregnant. She sleeps all day and does some roaming at night though. Her nipples are prominent and pink, but not overwhelming as of yet (bigger than my 3 year olds though). Everything I read says to bring her in, but I can't. Do you think everything will be okay outside etc???? I did tell my husband that once she does have the kittens or is very close to delivering, that my car is coming out of the garage and the box will go in and the door will be shut at night.

She is approximately 9 to 10 months old, eats a whole can of food along with kitten chow. I give her a little milk about every 2 to 3 days, but it is water mostly. Any other advice???

Thank you!
Sue
I had the same experience a few years ago. My vet told me that she would disappear when it was time for the kittens to be born, and so I had her checked for diseases and brought her to my house where I already had 2 cats. She didn't take any crap from my two cats, that's for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sgummo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks.. I just feel bad at this point, that I can't bring her in since I don't know if she does have diseases. I am going to do the best I can right now though till she has them and then get good homes for them all!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks.. I just feel bad at this point, that I can't bring her in since I don't know if she does have diseases. I am going to do the best I can right now though till she has them and then get good homes for them all!
I think she would probably do well in the garage.
Just so she can't go anywhere. The vet just did a quick exam of Elsa, and did a test for FELV and that was it. make sure she has plenty of kitten chow and water. It's good that she's so friendly - her kittens will probably be as well then.

sgummo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully when I take her to the vet next week she can let me know about how far along she is, so I can do some preparing too! Thanks for talking to me. Getting to be bed time. I will be back on again soon!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in your same shoes about 4 months ago. Except I brought the pregnant cat home, knowing she couldn't come inside. So I kept her in a large dog crate and then built an addition for the crate when the babies were born. Ginger gave birth and raised her 5 babies on our front porch. Ginger is now our outdoor cat. FeLV negative (we had her tested before birth of babies), spayed and UTD on all shots. She is the most thankful and sweet cat on the planet. She had no freedom from her enclosure after the babies were 2.5 weeks old, as she got interested in exploring too much. She went into heat when the babies were 6 weeks old (and had begun weaning) and was in heat non stop until her spay date 12 weeks after the birth of the babies. So after 3.5 long months of confinement she is enjoying some freedom.

Good luck

Leslie

sharon_fdcc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had strictly outdoor cats (by circumstance, not by choice) for the past few years - all rescued strays, and two have had litters, all outside. The kittens have all been fine (Include the 6 day old kitties we have right now).

In terms of the kittens health, it would be important for them to be warm... it hasn´t been a problem for me here - I live in a dessert climate. I have not had the cats disappear - although they have been creative about looking for hiding places. This can happen even inside, though.

I agree that the dog crate could work, although I have not used it. A big advantage to the crate is avoiding future pregnancy. I discovered that it truly is a MYTH that cats can't get pregnant while they are nursing!

Good luck!

sgummo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for responding!

She was laying on our porch today and we actually saw her stomach move some and like little kicks. Finally my husband believes me that she is pregnant. Not sure how much longer I have before they are born. She still eats a can of food and dry food everyday (no loss of appetite!) But she loves to sleep. Now it is 85 degrees and humid out here in PA right now.

I am going to be very fortunate that the neighbor lady behind me (who is in a wheelchair) wants her after the babies and will keep her inside and get her fixed. She is just afraid with the babies right now and she has a pug dog who likes to jump around and she doesn't want the dog to hurt her being pregnant.

I do have a cat carrier (without the door) on right now and a box with a blanket in it that is all enclosed on my front porch, but she also likes to go under our shed beside the house. I guess only time will tell.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks everyone for responding!

She was laying on our porch today and we actually saw her stomach move some and like little kicks. Finally my husband believes me that she is pregnant. Not sure how much longer I have before they are born. She still eats a can of food and dry food everyday (no loss of appetite!) But she loves to sleep. Now it is 85 degrees and humid out here in PA right now.

I am going to be very fortunate that the neighbor lady behind me (who is in a wheelchair) wants her after the babies and will keep her inside and get her fixed. She is just afraid with the babies right now and she has a pug dog who likes to jump around and she doesn't want the dog to hurt her being pregnant.

I do have a cat carrier (without the door) on right now and a box with a blanket in it that is all enclosed on my front porch, but she also likes to go under our shed beside the house. I guess only time will tell.
I think once you can feel them move you have about 2 weeks. Of course, they could have been moving before that...the first time I felt Elsas kittens was the night before she had them!

sgummo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think she is quite ready.. but I can't wait to get this over with too! Will her nipples look engorged with some milk? if so, they are not that yet. They are just big and rosy.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't think she is quite ready.. but I can't wait to get this over with too! Will her nipples look engorged with some milk? if so, they are not that yet. They are just big and rosy.
Most things I've read say no. And you probably won't be able to express any milk either. She may start grooming there, and the hair will be groomed away from the nipples.

sgummo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is doing ALOT of grooming, some around her belly but not alot (I don't think she can quite get there). Well, I just shut the door on her
I hate doing that everynight cause I get the looks. But these two big brutes I have inside won't allow it. My girl is 16 lbs and the boy is 13 lbs and they are only 3 years old but fixed. They want my attention, because they know she is getting it when I am outside.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She is doing ALOT of grooming, some around her belly but not alot (I don't think she can quite get there). Well, I just shut the door on her
I hate doing that everynight cause I get the looks. But these two big brutes I have inside won't allow it. My girl is 16 lbs and the boy is 13 lbs and they are only 3 years old but fixed. They want my attention, because they know she is getting it when I am outside.
Haha, Elsa's last couple of nights, she couldn't even lie on her side, only on her back!

sgummo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The lady in the wheelchair called me today and made me come up, she just bought her a case of food, so I know she wants her after the kittens - YEA!!!!
Maybe....... we can get her to take all .. ha ha. She talks with a lady who is a volunteer at our local PAWS (a no kill shelter for dogs and cats). I guess there is a long waiting list for cats. So hopefully I will have no problem getting rid of them. I will also contact my vet. But I guess I have time to start trying! Well.. goodnight 10:30 p.m. here in PA ..

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The lady in the wheelchair called me today and made me come up, she just bought her a case of food, so I know she wants her after the kittens - YEA!!!!
Maybe....... we can get her to take all .. ha ha. She talks with a lady who is a volunteer at our local PAWS (a no kill shelter for dogs and cats). I guess there is a long waiting list for cats. So hopefully I will have no problem getting rid of them. I will also contact my vet. But I guess I have time to start trying! Well.. goodnight 10:30 p.m. here in PA ..
That's fantastic news! Night!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sgummo:

What a wonderful thing you are doing for this kitty. Might I make a suggestion? Get some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) and give her that instead of milk. Cats are often lactose intolerant and the milk isn't good for her. The KMR is filled with vitamins and other goodies she could probably use right now. You can get it at PetSmart.

She could probably do well with kitten food, as well. It will give her the vitamins she needs to stay healthy while nursing her new babies.

She's a very lucky kitty to have found you and her new owner! God bless you!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ondine

Sgummo:

What a wonderful thing you are doing for this kitty. Might I make a suggestion? Get some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) and give her that instead of milk. Cats are often lactose intolerant and the milk isn't good for her. The KMR is filled with vitamins and other goodies she could probably use right now. You can get it at PetSmart.

She could probably do well with kitten food, as well. It will give her the vitamins she needs to stay healthy while nursing her new babies.

She's a very lucky kitty to have found you and her new owner! God bless you!
I` second that ... no cows milk. Use KMR. Might be good to have on hand in case she cannot or will not feed the babies or has too many for her milk supply. You can get that at Walmart, Petco, Petsmart... etc.

sgummo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks... I will definitely get some of the KMR. I have only given the milk twice in one week and it was not much at all. I am already giving her kitten chow and the wet food is for kitten and cat with low magnesium.

mishirish

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you in Centre County by any chance? I'll be buying a house soon and plan on being a foster for PAWS as soon as I do. =)

PS, at the Centre County PAWS, there's a long waiting list to surrender cats, not adopt them.