Show vibes for Keira

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keira is going to be in her second show tomorrow as a kitten, but this will be her first show that will last two days. Can I get some vibes that she can maybe get into one final?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Keira is going to be in her second show tomorrow as a kitten, but this will be her first show that will last two days. Can I get some vibes that she can maybe get into one final?
Vibes!!! It sounds very exciting!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The show went very badly. From the very first ring she was clearly upset. The judges could not or would not get her out because of her hissing and growling. I was so stressed throughout the day and she got progressively worse as the day wore on. I had to pull her out of the last ring because she also no longer liked me or would respond to anything. I was really tempted to go home tonight, but I already paid for everything. I will try a few rings tomorrow, but if it happens early on again, I will just pull her from the rest of the rings. I am so down right now. She did not do this in her first show. There were a few problems, but she started to relax more and she never did this time.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

The show went very badly. From the very first ring she was clearly upset. The judges could not or would not get her out because of her hissing and growling. I was so stressed throughout the day and she got progressively worse as the day wore on. I had to pull her out of the last ring because she also no longer liked me or would respond to anything. I was really tempted to go home tonight, but I already paid for everything. I will try a few rings tomorrow, but if it happens early on again, I will just pull her from the rest of the rings. I am so down right now. She did not do this in her first show. There were a few problems, but she started to relax more and she never did this time.
Do you have any rescue remedy?(or can you use it at shows?)

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I tried all the anti-anxiety liquids, etc. Nothing worked. I picked up Feliaway today and will see if that helps.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry the show went bad.
Was she mad at the other cats?
Cleo hisses at judges but it is because of other cats.
Did you put vanilla on her nose so everything smells the same to her?

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

So sorry the show went bad.
Was she mad at the other cats?
Cleo hisses at judges but it is because of other cats.
Did you put vanilla on her nose so everything smells the same to her?
Yes, I tried everything and nothing worked.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I wouldn't take her back tomorrow.

If you do, you need to stay calm at all costs - she will pick up on your stress.

Originally Posted by kluchetta

Do find out if you can use them first, over here we are not allowed to have sprays, liquids/drops in the show hall.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Do find out if you can use them first, over here we are not allowed to have sprays, liquids/drops in the show hall.
TICA has no rules against anti-anxiety remedies, it's fine to use them. However they don't help with a cat that is already uptight.

If she acts up again in the first ring, I'd pack up and call it a day. Some cats just hate showing and they will never like it.

Our boy Rome was fine with the show hall as a kitten, he did well enough to place as 2nd best bengal kitten regionally. But at his very first adult show, he decided half way through that he had enough. Made it half way to grand champion that show, but I decided if he doesn't like it anymore, then he gets to stay home. Have to respect your cats wishes in all this showing stuff.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she a spoilt little girl?

The most spoilt babies are normally the ones that act up. I wouldn't risk it as someone may get hurt but obviousely the show is over now?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Valerian...it's a calmer for hyperactive kids and usually works well on cats as well...BUT you have to start at least a week early for it to be effective before shows. It usually comes in pill form and you give half or quarter of it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

TICA has no rules against anti-anxiety remedies, it's fine to use them. However they don't help with a cat that is already uptight.
Thanks
Didn't want her to do anything that may be against the rules.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was still upset yesterday, but a little more alert. I am going to get her altered and try one more show. If she doesn't grow out of it as she matures -then I know she is a wonderful pet, but not a show cat. She is completely the opposite at home and with me in the car or hotel. It is just when I go to put her in the ring.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are like that.
My Mentor has a sphynx she will never show again after what happened at the last show.
She will use her for breeding soon.
Sorry Keira acted up.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always just assume pet kittens are already desexed. Do get that done and try her again, she may settle down some.