Migraines

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the second time in as many weeks that I've had to miss a night of work due to a migraine headache. I'm wondering if I should go get looked at tonight. It's been the same thing both times. I'd go to bed with a slight headache that would get worse as the day goes on. Last Friday night I left work early. Not only did by head hurt but the lighting at work was making it worse. I also felt nauseous. Tonight on my way to work I had to turn around halfway there and go home, I didn't feel safe driving (which is also what I do all night at work- on a forklift). My head still hurts, but the nausea is worse this time around. I actually feel like I need to hurl.

I took some Excedrine Migraine but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Any advice?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you should probably see a doctor, Bryan. My sister was getting migraines and it turned out that she had some sort of swelling that was putting pressure on her optical nerve... or something like that. She had to have a lumbar puncture and everything
Sudden onset like this usually mean something's going on IMO

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Katie.You're probably right. I also need to bring some sort of documentation to work, too. I forgot about that. A headache I can handle, I never had these other things going on with them before.

I'm leaving in a few minutes. I think I need to hurl first.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely get it looked at. At the very least they can get you some meds. I get migraines every 2 - 4 weeks, but mine are hormonal. Can't give you any help in that area, LOL!

They really suck - I hope you get it sorted.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most definitely make a doctor's appointment and get it checked out. That way you can rule out anything else it might be and the doctor will be able to give you more treatment options.
Sending along some feel better vibes for you..

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree...see a doctor. I have migraines and there are a number of medicines to chose from as far as treatment.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the hospital after I posted and just got home from a stop at the pharmacy. They gave me promethazine for the nausea and a generic for fioricet for the headache.

If I end up getting more of these then I need to go see my doctor.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i work in a doctors office and one day i had a sudden migraine attack and went in to see my colleague, he has prescribed me some tablets to take each time i get nauseous and to just stay in a dark room until it settles, if it gets worse then i have to go and get some brain scans.

if it gets worse definitely go back

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have TMJ? I was diagnosed with migraines when I was 15 and had about one or two a month back then. At the time, they were mild (for migraines). Two years ago I started getting one or two a WEEK and they were so severe, I would always vomit. I ended up with a dental device to help with TMJ, and now am back down to one or two a month.

The other thing is, if you're going to bed with a headache, take painkillers BEFORE you go to sleep. If you wait until the migraine is full-blown, it will be harder to get rid of.

I have so many triggers now (sinuses, TMJ, aspartame, etc.) that it's hard for me to avoid them. But usually sleeping in a dark room with a cool towel over my eyes helps.

Either way, I hope you get things figured out!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bryan, the Fiorcet works for some, but migraines can be a somewhat individual beast, and sometimes there is an underlying cause they can identify. My DH was diagnosed with cluster headaches years ago, and though I don't know as much about migraines as clusters, many people have both, so on the cluster board in which I participate, I've learned quite a bit about migraines.

Don't go to a general physician. Go to a neurologist that specializes in headaches. Better yet, go to a headache center. I googled it for Cincinnati, and here are the results: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&e...innati&spell=1

There are a LOT of medications for migraines, and each one works differently for everyone.

You can also immediately start taking 50mg of B2. It won't help right away, but many, many people with migraines benefit from this. Same with magensium - get the Solgar chelated magensium/calcium 2:1 supplement and take double the dose (so you're getting 1000mg of magnesum a day). You need the calcium with the magnesium or you'll get the runs.

You can also try feverfew or skullcap (both available in health food stores). You can also try ginger tea - it helps prevent platelet aggregation (migraines are vascular headaches, caused by improper blood circulation in the brain or vasoconstriction).

But it is very important to see a neuro or someone like that to determine if there is an underlying cause that can be identified.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When was the last time you were to see your dentist? It's quite possible that you grind your teeth when you sleep and that can lead to headaches. For years I had terrible headaches. I had CT Scans galore but the doctor couldn't find any reason behind my headaches. One day I was at the dentist for a routine check up and he started to ask me all kinds of questions about headaches etc. Turns out I grind my teeth when I sleep. He made me a night appliance that I wear over my upper teeth when I sleep which prevents me from grinding my teeth. I noticed an improvement the very first night I wore it. I just had a new one made last year.

It's also possible that your headaches are coming from the way you sleep at night. If your neck is too high or low compared to the rest of your spine you could be getting pinched nerves or muscle tension leading to the headache. Invest in a proper pillow. I got one from my chiropractor. It helped me a great deal.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been on Fioricet many times in the past, but now I am on Fiorinal (same thing, only it's with aspirin). It's kinda like super-powered Excedrin, with the caffeine and all. It very rarely works for me, but I don't have typical "migraine" headaches, mine are related to a different chronic medical issue. It could be something in your mouth, I know my headaches were unbearable when I had my 3 wisdom teeth going on. The head pain was a TINY bit better when I had them removed. (I also have tons of other diff pain meds, plus zofran for nausea). I've been put on almost every type of headache medication there is, and none of them worked.

My recommendation is to see a neurologist ASAP- it could be nothing but simple headaches (no headaches are simple, I've learned that the hard way
), or it could be something bad like an aneurysm, tumor, infection within the brain or something. The neurologist will most likely order a CT or MRI scan, which is painless. It could be a number of things, like your position when you sit, sleep, stand, etc. Did they do any sort of scan when you were in the hospital? That would seem like the standard thing to do, when you present your symptoms. And what was the doctor's recommendation? Did they recommend a neuro?

It's really important to find the cause, I suffered for YEARS because doctors just diagnosed me with migraines, until a doctor finally did an MRI scan, and sent me to a neurosurgeon. After around 8-9 years of just suffering horrifically, they found out that I had a small mass/lesion on my hypothalamus (center of brain) and my cerebrospinal fluid pressure was over 2x the maximum level it should be (both unrelated). With the pressure it was at, I should've been blind. But none of this was found just because no doctor looked further into it, so I really recommend going to a good neuro and basically demanding a scan of some sort. Don't let the doc just look at you and say "yup, ya got headaches. Take this medication, you'll be fine." Have him try and find a cause for your pain.

Best of luck to you! I know exactly what you're going through!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He checked my eyes with a light but we didn't do any testing. Can migraines be caused by a lack of sleep? I don't sleep a lot, and I don't sleep well since I work nights and have to sleep during the day. Pile on 10 credit hours and 20 hours (minimum) of homework a week and I don't get much sleep.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

He checked my eyes with a light but we didn't do any testing. Can migraines be caused by a lack of sleep? I don't sleep a lot, and I don't sleep well since I work nights and have to sleep during the day. Pile on 10 credit hours and 20 hours (minimum) of homework a week and I don't get much sleep.
Lack of sleep can be a form of stress that triggers the migraines. Have the migraines been occurring as long as you haven't been sleeping right?

I would start with a diary. Mark down what you eat, how much you sleep, drink etc. It took me 2 years to figure out my trigger. I would see a neurologist in the meantime.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Migraines can definitely be caused by a lack of sleep. Exhaustion is a leading cause of headaches. You need to find more time to rest- make time. If you have to cut back on your credits, do it if you can. I know it's not easy, I've personally been put on academic suspension 3x (due to medical reasons- my school is an @$$ when it comes to accomodating my absence) and I'm only 20 lol. So I know it's easier said than done. (the time you're on this site you could be napping for instance
)

That's really odd that he didn't do any further testing. Did you tell him just how bad they were? Maybe he didn't because you are still able to function, so he possibly didn't think they were that bad. I still think you should go to a neurologist- it won't hurt. If anything he will confirm to you that you are overworking yourself and need more rest/sleep to feel better.

In the meantime, make sure to drink LOTS of water- to the point where you have to pee like every hour
. All my doctors that treat me for my headaches (neurologist, 2 neurosurgeons, neuro-oncologist, endocrinologist) all recommend drinking lots of fluids, and I must say it definitely helps. Especially if you are throwing up- I've noticed that when my headaches get so bad that I am hurling all the time, they just get worse as I get more and more dehydrated. I've even been in the ER for dehydration during a horrible headache "attack". So drink your heart out!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Lack of sleep can be a form of stress that triggers the migraines. Have the migraines been occurring as long as you haven't been sleeping right?

I would start with a diary. Mark down what you eat, how much you sleep, drink etc. It took me 2 years to figure out my trigger. I would see a neurologist in the meantime.
While lack of sleep can be a form of stress that triggers migraines, it usually is not just that. DH is an insomniac and has been sleep deprived the 15 years we've been married, and it never triggered a migraine.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might only take two classes next term. There is too much uncertainty with work. We found out a couple of days ago that an audit team is coming to the Cincinnati NDC (formerly BMC) in October to decide our fates. We could be spared or they could excess out a lot of us, with no limit on how far they can send you. I don't have a good feeling about any of it.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I might only take two classes next term. There is too much uncertainty with work. We found out a couple of days ago that an audit team is coming to the Cincinnati NDC (formerly BMC) in October to decide our fates. We could be spared or they could excess out a lot of us, with no limit on how far they can send you. I don't have a good feeling about any of it.
Sounds like it could get pretty icky. It would be much better on your body if you took those 2 courses next term instead of loading up on classes like you did this time. I still think you should go to a neurologist, just for a quick check. If anything he/she can start you on a long-term migraine medication which is a much better idea than a pain med of any kind, trust me.