What can I feed 8 wk old kitten?

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new "foster kitty" (ha ha, that's a joke around our house) is about seven to eight weeks old. I've never had a kitten before. My others came to me as adults.

Should I be feeding him anything besides dry kitten food? I gave him a treat this morning and he loved it, but I'm not sure I should be doing that at this stage.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We tend to encourage wet food here at TCS. I'm a firm believer in the method. I free feed dry to my 14 week old kitten and offer 2-3 wet meals a day.

Good luck and thanks for fostering!

Leslie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

We tend to encourage wet food here at TCS. I'm a firm believer in the method. I free feed dry to my 14 week old kitten and offer 2-3 wet meals a day.

Good luck and thanks for fostering!

Leslie
the above is what I know to give a kitten ...

catattack1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if he is a true foster kitten, see if you can get permission to feed him raw - if that is not an option (for you or the cat), a high quality canned commercial.... Wellness makes a wonderful "Kitten Formula"...

dry kibble I do not recommend to anyone, not even a good brand like CORE... unless your cat will absolutely refuse to eat anything else... just buy Wellness canned....

it is imperative that you feed your kitten right when he is young so that he grows properly....

speak to whoever is running the foster program about the benefits of canned vs dry..... and feed canned if you're able to ..

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO there is nothing wrong with giving some dry food a day. In the beginning I tried an all wet diet but felt the cats were not getting enough to eat beause they were only getting 2 small meals a day. Then I switched over to a wet/dry combination that works well for us. Two meals of wet food and free freed dry and they are all happy and healthy.

So IMO add some wet into the diet and get a cat fountian and you should be good.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've fed all my kittens a combination of wet and dry. For the dry I do measured free-feeding so they have something available all the time in between wet meals. Just make sure you're feeding kitten food or all-stages food. It has different proportions of protein and fat than adult food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I've fed all my kittens a combination of wet and dry. For the dry I do measured free-feeding so they have something available all the time in between wet meals. Just make sure you're feeding kitten food or all-stages food. It has different proportions of protein and fat than adult food.
Many all stage are exactly like adult in fat and protein
... Some do more closely resemble kitten....

As for suggesting raw ... think about the adoption process , most will shy away from feeding a regime that Most folks would not continue...

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stick to high quality foods like wellness CORE, and try to feed as much wet as possible. If possible try to feed some raw. What cats are fed as kittens sets them up for what they will try when adults sometimes. If a kitten doesn't get a bit of wet food, then most likely you will end up with a kibble adict cat.

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feed as much wet as possible-no more than 25 percent of your cats diet should be dry food and even then I'd be wary of feeding it. (more here: http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html) Supplement with raw organs, meats, and bones (your vet probably won't like this but cats in the wild eat raw meat every day). I don't really like Nutro food in general-stick with high-quality foods like Evo and Taste of the Wild.