TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › New addition to the family... maybe...wanna help?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New addition to the family... maybe...wanna help?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Yesterday i ran into a friend i only know from volenteering at the SPCA. About a year ago she adopted an 11 year old Huskey mix who had been at the shelter for a year. She had to pur her down this Friday. We talked about it and she said she was sad but she felt good that this dog never knew love (she was abused her whole life) until this girl adpted her. She wasnt overly devestated becasue she knew she did good and she smiled whenever she thought about how spoiled this dog became.. doesnt that sound nice?

She mentioned a dog named Tasha, a 10 year old Shepherd whos not doing so well (they give her about a year) and have been there for about 6 months.

I went home and told my boyfriend about her an to my surprise he listened! I explained how good it would be if we gave this girl a retirment home, etc.

I am going to Toronto this weekend but we will discuss it when i get back.

Now, this is where i need your help. I want to make sure he knows how he would be saving a life, or at least helping one. I was just wondering what you would say to convince him. I want to be able to say everything i can about adopting a very old dog that probably wont last long....

Here is her bio.
Tasha's owners could no longer care for her. She is a sweet old girl who is looking for a new family to retire with. Tasha's previous owners said she can be nervous in the car or around strange people and other animals. She gets along well with other dogs she knows and has lived with a cat. She enjoys daily walks and doesn't mind being bathed or brushed. As most shepherds bond strongly with their owners, Tasha will need time to build a new bond with her new family.


Now her pic - Check out the full white face!!! LOL adorable.

post #2 of 19
She has a sweet face
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
She really does have a sweet face. We have the means to take care of her it would just be a pain in the butt. Since we have the means, IMO it would be a shame not to take her.

I am glad i have the weekend to think of what to say. I have a problem where if i am passionate, or nervous about something, i studder, or the words i am thinking cant get to my mouth, if that makes sense. I usualy almost never get my point across in these situations. This way I can think about it, or write it down, so i can be more prepared. That way she has a better chance.

Wish me luck! hopefully soon ill be showing you all pics of this old cutie
post #4 of 19
Awww, what a sweetie! I has such a soft spot for German Shepherds. I think they are one of the most loving and loyal breeds.

I really can't help you with what to say to your boyfriend because I'm pretty much like you. I think of everything I SHOULD have said after the fact when its too late. It just breaks my heart to think of that grand lady spending her last days in a cold, impersonal shelter instead of comfy in a house with a family that loves her. I'm sure the people of the shelter take good care of her but that's not the same as belonging to a family.

Good luck with convincing your boyfriend. Maybe you should just take him to meet her...she looks like the kind that could paw her way into anyone's heart!
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaloneysMom View Post
Yesterday i ran into a friend i only know from volenteering at the SPCA. About a year ago she adopted an 11 year old Huskey mix who had been at the shelter for a year. She had to pur her down this Friday. We talked about it and she said she was sad but she felt good that this dog never knew love (she was abused her whole life) until this girl adpted her. She wasnt overly devestated becasue she knew she did good and she smiled whenever she thought about how spoiled this dog became.. doesnt that sound nice?

She mentioned a dog named Tasha, a 10 year old Shepherd whos not doing so well (they give her about a year) and have been there for about 6 months.

I went home and told my boyfriend about her an to my surprise he listened! I explained how good it would be if we gave this girl a retirment home, etc.

I am going to Toronto this weekend but we will discuss it when i get back.

Now, this is where i need your help. I want to make sure he knows how he would be saving a life, or at least helping one. I was just wondering what you would say to convince him. I want to be able to say everything i can about adopting a very old dog that probably wont last long....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaloneysMom View Post
We have the means to take care of her it would just be a pain in the butt.
What makes you think that she won't live long? She's only 10 years old and by today's standards that's middle aged. Pets with proper health care can live to 20 years or more.

You say you have the means to take on another pet, but that it would be a "pain in the butt." Stop and ask yourself the real reason you want to take on a senior pet. If you feel it is a "pain in the butt" now, you will grow to resent the animal.

Make sure you are wanting to take on another pet for the right reasons: Love and adoration; not out of obligation because you feel you have the money to do so.
post #6 of 19
Large breed dogs very rarely live past 13-15 years, the larger the breed, the shorter their lifespan.
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn View Post
Large breed dogs very rarely live past 13-15 years, the larger the breed, the shorter their lifespan.
Right, plus they say she is already having trouble walking and her overall condition isnt good. Her teeth and gums are horrible, she sleeps a lot more then an average dog should, her eyes are bluish, etc... she has all the basic signs of aging, but the extreme side of it.

She would be a pain in the butt, but so is my boyfriend and my other pets LOL. We have the means, but getting her would require more care, more vet visits, different food, vitamins or whatever else the vet suggests. Just becasue she is a pain in the butt doesnt means its a bad thing... it just an expression i use... it doesnt mean a bad thing =)

My old Shepherd was old and she was the biggest pain in the butt i ever experienced, she required extensive daily care for 2 years... but i wouldnt have had it any other way and i dont think i have ever loved any animal more then her. I still have crying fits when i think of her like she just passed yesterday, she was the best friend i ever had.

Thanks guys, my heart really goes out to her. We would be able to provide a loving, spoiled, mentally sound home for her. My boyfriend is overall a suck and i think he would go for it, but he has to make the choice, not me.

Its a great ideal to bring him to see her. Shes sad to watch, and with her sweet face i think that will get his heart strings tugging.
post #8 of 19
I think we all know that our pets in general are a pain in the butt at least sometimes.

Like when you come home to toilet paper all over the house from Kitty.

Or when your new puppy leaves you a present down the hall that you step in on your way to the loo at 3 in the morning.


I definately agree that you should take him to see her. I find that most men love big dogs and I'm sure he'd fall for that sweet face in an instant. Even my bf turns to goo when he see's big adorable doggy eyes.

Just make sure you're in this for the long haul, in case she does survive to be a ripe old puppy.
post #9 of 19
German Shepherds are one of the breeds that are prone to hip dysplasia. We had a GS/collie mix while I was growing up, and he started having syptoms when he was around 10-11. He had to take a pill twice a day which he thought was a treat because it was buried in cheese or meat. He lived to be 16...but by the end, my dad was carrying him up the stairs because he insisted on sleeping in their room.

I think that girl may still have a few good years left in her. It's amazing what a loving family can do for an animals will to live.
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
There is nothing i would like better then to prolong her health. There have been studies that have concluded that love, and tender loving care does in fact increase youre life. Being that we are starting with her being pretty bad, i dont think it will be ten years, but with us, she would for sure have a longer life.

My Shepherd had dyplesia as well =( along with severe athritis. Before i moved i actualy slept in the dining room with her for about a year becasue she could not climb the stairs.

As i said she was a major pain in the butt, between the four pills a day, special mix food, cream AND gel for her stomach rash, going to the bathroom all the time, eye drops, ear drops, the fact that i had to work an extra hour+ every day so i could take an extra break to go home and give her her care at odd times (one was every three hours!) sheesh! Her nickname became Pita (pain in the ....) the last few years LOL. After all of that experience i beleive i am up for anything Tasha throws at me LOL.

As i said, there is nothing wrong with being a pain in the butt. I actually wish more people would be realistic when they adopt kittens, older animals and some mid aged ones. If people realized that yes, animals are sometimes a pain in the butt we wouldnt have so many throw aways, or those posts we see all the time here about how people hit, spray, or kick thier animals becasue they thought they would be all cuddly, cute and quiet when in fact they became a pain.

Its good to be realistic when jumping into a situation that requires additional work. Im glad i can be realistic about this so there are no surprises. When she become a pain in the butt, just like ALL my animals lol ill just smile as usual and do my thing, becasue its expected.

Sorry the bad spelling, theres no spell check on this computer! I am rushed as well =)
post #11 of 19
I would say if you have the means (time and money) to care for this beautiful dog then do it. You would at least help her live a comfortable and spoiled retirement rather than etc endless hope some animals in shelters, SPCA's, etc face.
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
OMG its worse then i thought!! Stop reading now if sensitive to sad stories.








I went to go visit her today, my boyfriend did not come... I wasn’t surprised. When I arrived I looked all over for her and couldn’t find her, finally I found her in the smaller dog area, hiding in the back, not making a sound. For a 90 pound dog she found a way to make herself unnoticed.

I checked her out since she didn’t seem to happy, wanting to make sure she was friendly (my Shepherd wasn’t nice to strangers and would nip) and noticed she had diarrhea all over her bum, legs, tail and feet. As she stood up i also noticed she was lying in a pool of frothy vomit that had matted her stomach fur. Then she started gagging, trying to vomit up nothing. I also noticed she had two bowls of food in front of her (i am guessing breakfast and dinner) untouched.

I opened the cage and put the leash on her and she walked out very slowly, and we slowly walked over to the dog run. I let her off the leash and called my boyfriend up crying. She spent the entire time lying down with her head drooping.

I then composed myself, put the leash on her, and went to take her for a nice walk.

She spent the entire walk trying to poop, she just couldn’t do it. It was so sad watching her try. I walked her to the end of the road and sat on the curb since she seemed to be having a really hard time walking. She seemed so depressed it was heart wrenching. Then we slowly made our way back to her cage and i put her in. I then saw her lie down in her diarrhea and frothy vomit again. I felt horrible i had to leave.

In the volunteer room i noticed a sign saying they have a outbreak of Parvo, that we must wash our hands between dogs. She seemed to have the symptoms... i understand mostly pups get it but Tasha may not have been vaccinated.

I feel horrible, this is much too sad for me... i just dont know what to do now.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaloneysMom View Post
OMG its worse then i thought!! Stop reading now if sensitive to sad stories.








I went to go visit her today, my boyfriend did not come... I wasn’t surprised. When I arrived I looked all over for her and couldn’t find her, finally I found her in the smaller dog area, hiding in the back, not making a sound. For a 90 pound dog she found a way to make herself unnoticed.

I checked her out since she didn’t seem to happy, wanting to make sure she was friendly (my Shepherd wasn’t nice to strangers and would nip) and noticed she had diarrhea all over her bum, legs, tail and feet. As she stood up i also noticed she was lying in a pool of frothy vomit that had matted her stomach fur. Then she started gagging, trying to vomit up nothing. I also noticed she had two bowls of food in front of her (i am guessing breakfast and dinner) untouched.

I opened the cage and put the leash on her and she walked out very slowly, and we slowly walked over to the dog run. I let her off the leash and called my boyfriend up crying. She spent the entire time lying down with her head drooping.

I then composed myself, put the leash on her, and went to take her for a nice walk.

She spent the entire walk trying to poop, she just couldn’t do it. It was so sad watching her try. I walked her to the end of the road and sat on the curb since she seemed to be having a really hard time walking. She seemed so depressed it was heart wrenching. Then we slowly made our way back to her cage and i put her in. I then saw her lie down in her diarrhea and frothy vomit again. I felt horrible i had to leave.

In the volunteer room i noticed a sign saying they have a outbreak of Parvo, that we must wash our hands between dogs. She seemed to have the symptoms... i understand mostly pups get it but Tasha may not have been vaccinated.

I feel horrible, this is much too sad for me... i just dont know what to do now.
Oh honey, I know it will be a huge vet bill for you, but if you are finanicial able to, get her out of there now!! Obviously, they aren't taking care of her. I know they have a lot of animals to take care of, but there is NO reason to have 2 full bowls of food in front of her and no one even noticed that she was laying in her own vomit.

I don't know a lot about Parvo, but I know it can be deadly and she may have gotten it because of her age (immune compromised), so you really shouldn't risk your other dogs to that...but can you quarantine her somewhere like a garage while it's still warm until a vaccine tries to help?

Oh, this just breaks my heart. There is NO reason for this poor animal to be in this condition.
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
Oh honey, I know it will be a huge vet bill for you, but if you are finanicial able to, get her out of there now!! Obviously, they aren't taking care of her. I know they have a lot of animals to take care of, but there is NO reason to have 2 full bowls of food in front of her and no one even noticed that she was laying in her own vomit.

I don't know a lot about Parvo, but I know it can be deadly and she may have gotten it because of her age (immune compromised), so you really shouldn't risk your other dogs to that...but can you quarantine her somewhere like a garage while it's still warm until a vaccine tries to help?

Oh, this just breaks my heart. There is NO reason for this poor animal to be in this condition.
I know. I spent the entire night last night crying. When I went to bed at around 10pm my eyes were so bloated and red, everything looked blurry. I can’t remember when I last cried like that.

I have been stalking the SPCA Director. I want to give Tasha a bath a least. It says on her bio that her favorite thing is getting a bath, I figure maybe she will cheer up when she feels clean and gets to do her favorite thing.

What I cant get out of my mind is her just lying there, matted feces all over her legs and butt, at least 20 fly’s and various other bugs flying all over the feces and her just watching, expressionless, head drooping.

I am a quiet person, but I am not too shy, I am aware of how annoying I can be and I won’t shut up until this girl at least gets a bath.

As for me getting the dog... well it seems like my boyfriend only said yes because he didn’t want to talk about it. He is not being too sensitive about the whole situation.... at all.... but that’s another story, I don’t need him to at least try and make her life better if I can’t adopt her. I also don’t need him for moral support on this one, I don’t think he cares anyway.

This girl is going to die lying in her own vomit, poop, and flies... I just can’t bear it. I am devastated over this whole thing, but I am going to do whatever is in my power to at least do something!

I don’t know if she has Parvo. I did notice that a lot (not most) of the dogs had there cages locked, im guessing those are the ones they suspect have parvo? I am not sure. Her cage was open... as a precaution I washed my hands and arms, called my boyfriend before I got home so he could put Bruno outside, took my shoes off and went straight to the laundry room and put everything I wore, including my runners in the wash, then I showered before I even touched Bruno.

I am not sure if we do by chance adopt her (I still have hope my boyfriend might go for it... I won’t push it though) if we do have a place to quarenteen her... She’s pretty big, and while we have a big lot, our actual house isn’t all that big to be able to hide a 90lb dog from the rest of the house. I will however have no problem trying to negotiate them doing vet work, blood tests etc on my dime, or getting my own vet in.
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Update on Tasha

She was doing much, much better yesterday. I must have called the Director 8 times before she finally got someone to call me back at 4pm. That gave me only 3 hours to finish my work for the day, pick up Bruno from daycare, go home, get dressed, head to the SPCA get direction to the tub and bath her. By time i i actually got her to the tub we only have 1.5 hours left to groom a massive dog that seemed to have 10 undercoats LOL.

Anyway, when we arrived and she still hadn't eaten, it looked like she tried but vomited it up, her bowl had hard food and vomit in it. She did seemed perkier though. I don't know if she felt better because she was walked yesterday, when i checked out her volunteer profile she hadn't been walked in two weeks.

We went right to her cage and she was barking! Yesterday she just laid there all dead like. She looked so scary, i can understand why none of the volunteers walked her. Even my boyfriend was like "uhhh, want me to get her?" I opened the crate and out she came and slowly trotted beside us. My boyfriend looked at me and said she didn't look so sick! Told me i was too sensitive... but he didn't see her yesterday...

We took her to the bath, good thing my boyfriend came since the tub was so high, he picked her up and she wagged her tail. We realized we didn't have time to clean all of her and have time to completely dry her (they didn't want wet dog smell at the end of the day... understandable) and then clean up the room which seemed to have enough hair to cover 5 small dogs.

Somehow my boyfriend got suckered (hahaha) into washing her poo'ey, diarrhea, vomity, bum, legs and tail, while i got the job of kissing and hugging her face LOL of course i made fun of him the whole time about it.

People kept coming in to thank us for doing this, saying they were understaffed and noticed the poo a few days ago!! Tasha was really happy, not only was she getting to play in water, her favorite thing, she had everyone coming in to comment how good she was while getting washed. Her eyes seemed to go from blank and expressionless to bright and lively.

We then put her on the dryer table to dry her bum and it was my boyfriends turn to give her love while i dried her and gave her a serious brushing. My boyfriend was so sweet to her, telling her that she was so beautiful, and what a good girl she was, giving her ear rubs, and chest rubs, she thanked him by giving him kisses.

I did notice her legs were bad, if she stood for too long she would get shaky, so i would have to hold her up while my boyfriend did her underside. She also dragged her feet, and had sores on the back of her feet since she laid down in an extremely odd position.

We didn't completely dry her, but we had 30min until closing so we took her for a walk to air dry her. She was very happy and her steps were more lively then before.

We put her back in her crate and went to tell one of the workers about her vomit and they said she did it everyday because of the heat. They will see what they can do.

So overall i think she was depressed. She still had diarrhea, but all SPCA dogs do. It was her demeanor yesterday that killed me, but today she seemed like she was doing alright mentally, she seemed really happy. Hopefully her vomiting stops... i hope she at least eats something during the day... maybe that's why yesterday was so bad too, she was weak from lack of food.

I dont know if we will get her. My boyfriend really bonded with her but he said she is such a good girl, and so sweet, someone will adopt her. He said lets wait and see if that happens.
post #16 of 19
Hi...I've been following your thread and I think it's wonderful that you've become a guardian angel for this poor dog. I hope your BF comes around and you can take her home! Even if you can't, just coming in to visit, walk and bathe her is obviously greatly improving the quality of her life. I know you said the SPCA is understaffed, but it still makes me angry that they'd let this poor girl get in this horrible condition and not do anything about it...that is neglect plain and simple! Anyway, good luck to you and to this sweet doggie...sending positive your way.
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
My boyfriend and I went yesterday to go see how Tasha was doing and I have to say she looks great. I am not sure if she is eating, but since it’s been cooler out, if she was in fact vomiting due to the heat she should be ok.

Her fur looked great, we had spent a good amount of time brushing her when we washed her bum. Her bum still looked clean, and there was no diarrhea or vomit matted in her fur. She also had a light to her eyes.

The only negative thing about the whole thing was for some reason it was packed yesterday. Usually the parking lot has about 8 cars total in it. Yesterday people were parking on the road, there must have been at least 25cars! That’s great for the animals!

My boyfriend and I stood by Tasha’s crate checking her out (she had been walked earlier, and we weren’t sure how her legs were doing) and I noticed every single person that came by was crouching, saying hi to the dogs, exclaiming how cute they were, calling their family members to come see.... and not one looked at Tasha. Not one second glance. She wasn’t even barking, she was just standing there, ears perked right up, wagging her tail.... not one person!! There were so many people there, they all looked at both dogs beside her, and it was like she didn’t even exist.

My boyfriend says all they need to do is give her a chance and they will see how sweet and good she is… I hope someone does, because yesterday I felt so bad for her.

She still looked great though! So thats a plus.
post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 
Just thought I would give an update on this baby girl. We still do visit her to make sure she’s ok and doesn’t go into a depression again.

We went to visit her last night and she seemed great! She was barking when we got to her cage and as soon as I opened the door she put her head down for the leash and hopped out of her cage. She seemed happy enough and was walking pretty fast, I got a good work out anyways lol.

I do notice her legs have gotten worse though, I have been keeping a watchful eye on her hind legs. I am thinking arthritis, my Shepherd had arthritis and her strut seems to look the same. It’s hard to explain, I’m sure all you peeps who have seen this can picture it. It’s like a very stiff walk, with shorter steps. She is also tripping a lot more on her front feet, not sure what that means, but every 10 steps she almost falls on her face. We checked her nails and they are still short from when we clipped them. I am assuming her legs are getting worse due to the fact she has to sleep on pavement with only a thin blanket for a bed.

Overall though, she looks good. Her eyes are bright, her teeth are nice for her age, her fur is dull but thick, she has energy and her poo looks healthy.

I still fear she won’t get adopted. While there we walk other dogs since we won’t walk her more then 20min due to her legs. The other dogs are so happy, wagging their tail, giving kisses, they are really animated. Tasha, is your typical Female Shepherd (in my Shepherd experiences). She doesn’t care who you are, she barely looks at you, never wags her tail, never gives kisses, she just doesn’t care who you are. Not only that, she’s old, big, is shedding like crazy. I can honestly say that there is not much to her. Who wants a dog that has nothing to her? Only a Shepherd lover knows how amazing she would be AFTER you make a bond. Not many Shepherd lovers here, only ones that want young, bred, high quality Shepherds. Not old, broken ones with no personality.

Anyway, this is turning out to be long. I told my boyfriend last night if no one takes her soon him and I are going to have a serious talk about her. I explained everything to him I’ve explained here about her lack of personality and he feels bad for her.

It’s been awhile, but I still have hope she will one day be my best friend =). Keep your vibes up!
post #19 of 19
I'm so glad to hear Tasha has improved so much! You both are angels for going and visiting her and walking her and the other dogs. I absolutely love Shephards! My "big brother" was a shephard/collie mix, and he lived to be 16 before my parents had to put him down. I know exactly what kind of walk you are talking about. I think part of the problem is her front feet are trying to faster than her back legs can, and she gets all screwed up. Sleeping on a concrete floor definitely can't help.

I'm still hoping you and your BF take her in...she deserves a good home. (no pressure there...none at all! )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats and Other Animals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › New addition to the family... maybe...wanna help?